Cultivated Reef

Minamilist Display Tank = Live Rock in Sump?

Newtybar

I've seen a lot of people say put live rock in the sump if you are going for a minimalist display tank.

However, I've also seen people say putting live rock in the sump is a detritus trap and can actually be harmful.

I'm a bit confused on what to do since I plan on having a refugium with macroalgae and some live rock (no sand bed).

There will be about 25 lbs of live rock in a 65 gallon display tank.

I would think I needed at least 25 lbs more of live rock somewhere...

There will be about 25 lbs of live rock in a 65 gallon display tank.

I would think I needed at least 25 lbs more of live rock somewhere...

Nope. You'll be fine with the 25# in the display.

you can use a biomedia like marinepure, its basically a ceramic slab .

I read this may leech alumina into the tank and be harmful to leather corals...so I am on the fence.

Cool with the 25lbs...I thought it was supposed to be at least 1 to 1.

I read this may leech alumina into the tank and be harmful to leather corals...so I am on the fence.

Cool with the 25lbs...I thought it was supposed to be at least 1 to 1.

never heard about this.

I know a few people who use similar products and I haven't heard any adverse effects from them but I'll be sure to pass it on.

The zillion pound of rock per gallon thing is a myth. You can put as much rock as you want on your tank. You can get away with 5lbs if you want. All you have to do is skim hard. Buy a skimmer that is rated much higher than your tank and it will be fine plus you don't need to run a fuge or anything else.

I think you can have a bunch of LR in your fuge if you want. If you have a good light and enough flow, it's not much different than having it in your display... especially if there's no sand in there.

One caveat is that you generally want slower flow in the fuge so that the micro-critters don't get blown around too much. I think you can fine tune the flow to keep detritus from settling, while still providing a nice environment for pods, etc. If you've got some macros in there, even better. Through in some xenia, and you'll have a pretty sweet little setup!

i have about 15lbs of rock in my display in my 34g.

in the sump i have about 8lbs. i dont really get that much detritus build up in the sump. whatever is there is easily clean with a turkey baster.

havent done a w/c in about 2 weeks. and when i tested today the params were spot on.

i skim heavily as well.

hope this helps!

Archived