Coral Vue Hydros

Please look over my tank and equipment selection for my first tank.

FutureReefer

FutureReefer

If you are thinking about the Fluval M60, you can price-shop an IM Fusion Nano 20, if only to have another product / price point for comparison sake against the Fluval and if needed for negotiation with your vendor. Charterhouse, the vendor linked to earlier has the tank only for 224.95 UKP.

Charterhouse also has a sale on the Fluvial M90 kit for 499.95 UKP, so it is only about 20 UKP more than the M60 you are considering if you have the space for the larger tank...

I appreciate your help, however with the M series from Fluval I'll also get a stand which I really need for a tank of this size + it's larger than the Nano 20 so I feel more comfortable stocking clowns and what not in there knowing I'm not stressing them out due to the space they have. Charterhouse actually have some of their tanks overpriced like the M90 you mention, it's available at £499.99 from a few places online anyway so them having a sale on an item which should be priced that is not really a sale in the first place. Their M60 is currently £479.99 but should really be £399.99.

In respects to phosguard I would read this article first before adding that to your system -> http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/

If you are new to Saltwater you are going to get to know Randy Holmes-Farley pretty quick, he is by far one of the most respected Doctors in the Hobby.

Yeah, Randy is great. There is still some debate around the whole phosguard aluminum issue though. Randy himself states that he has used it in the past with no noticeable negative effects. Also, the article referenced some experiments he conducted where he placed relatively large amounts of phosguard, (75ml, enough to treat 22.5 gallons) into only 17 ounces of saltwater. That would be like using about 9 POUNDS of phosguard for a 55 gallon tank. Ratios that we would not see in aquaria use. Also, the exact nature of the measured aluminum in not known. From the article:

"But these tests were carried out on a large amount of Phosguard in a small amount of water. Tests with larger volumes of water might well result in lower aluminum concentrations. Additionally, the exact nature of the aluminum in these tests may well be different than in the toxicity tests reported above. That is, the nature may be particulate vs. colloidal vs. soluble vs. complexed by organics, etc."

Then the other issue is that the biological testing he did used an aluminum chloride solution and not Phosguard. I would have liked to seen experiments actually using the recommended amounts of Phosguard per water volume. I would also like to see how much phosguard it takes to bring the measured aluminum concentrations up to toxic levels (hint: it takes several pounds).

^Great point, I wasn't trying to deter from using just wanted the op to be informed on info that was out there is respects to that particular product. Personally GFO is the only phosphate remover I would use.

Archived