inTank Media Baskets

Please help- brain coral bleaching and sick.

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Ive had this brain coral for a month, and its looking very bad. It WAS very colorful and beautiful- now it is completely bleached and "poops" daily.

Whats happening? I think its slowly dying, and need some help.

Other corals are thriving- all my LPS are popping new heads daily and look great. Please help diagnose my issue.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

It is obviously bleaching significantly, yet is fully extended. I am thinking this could be a lighting issue, but moving it to the shade does NOT help.

Before:

IMG_1115%202_zpstsgwmmef.jpg

Now:

IMG_1526_zpsi45eopus.jpg

Ive had this brain coral for a month, and its looking very bad. It WAS very colorful and beautiful- now it is completely bleached and "poops" daily.

Whats happening? I think its slowly dying, and need some help.

Other corals are thriving- all my LPS are popping new heads daily and look great. Please help diagnose my issue.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

It is obviously bleaching significantly, yet is fully extended. I am thinking this could be a lighting issue, but moving it to the shade does NOT help.

Before:

IMG_1115%202_zpstsgwmmef.jpg

Now:

IMG_1526_zpsi45eopus.jpg

Is it getting enough light?

HarryPotter

Is it getting enough light?

Yes, maybe too much even. Radion XR30w Pro

If it was too much light i doubt it would extend all the way like that anyway

Yes, maybe too much even. Radion XR30w Pro

If it was too much light i doubt it would extend all the way like that anyway

Yeah I'm thinking to much light? and you said putting it in the shade didn't work?

HarryPotter

Yeah I'm thinking to much light? and you said putting it in the shade didn't work?

Shade didn't work, nor did reducing the power of the radions.

It poops daily and just looks terrible...

Thats so weird!!! how much lower did you reduce it?

HarryPotter

Thats so weird!!! how much lower did you reduce it?

Dude have you ever even had a brain coral :lol:

Went from the high 80s to 50.

PathOfDeception

Probably still gets too much light even in the shade. How's your alk/calc? Mine was doing great under an archway and the tiny bit that was hanging out got bleached. A week later the thing exploded in color and size.

HarryPotter

Probably still gets too much light even in the shade. How's your alk/calc? Mine was doing great under an archway and the tiny bit the was hanging out got bleached. A week later the thing exploded in color and size.

Ca 500+, Alk about 8

I don't know.... I don't have an area that completely shaded.

Happy you actually had one and experienced this! How to keep it (completely) shaded though...

Dude have you ever even had a brain coral :lol:

Went from the high 80s to 50.

No but the only thing I'm thinking is to much light !

HarryPotter

Okay well I'm not sure what to do from here. I guess I could completely rearrange the left part of my scape to be horiszonatal and partly shade an area?

That would require a LOT of 'scaping though

Im actually thinking that could be right- its "poop" is excess zooxanthellae because too much light?

Okay well I'm not sure what to do from here. I guess I could completely rearrange the left part of my scape to be horiszonatal and partly shade an area?

That would require a LOT of 'scaping though

Im actually thinking that could be right- its "poop" is excess zooxanthellae because too much light?

you have to save it !! put it in the shade !!

how long did you leave it in the shade? I would think it would need at least a couple weeks to recover.

how long did you leave it in the shade? I would think it would need at least a couple weeks to recover.

Yeah I would think so also

Harry - put it in the shade in this spot that is overshadowed by the rock pillar.

wAmRrdY.jpg?1

Yeah that looks like enough shade

HarryPotter

Harry - put it in the shade in this spot that is overshadowed by the rock pillar.

wAmRrdY.jpg?1

OMG GOOD POINT! YES ITLL BE THERE IN ONE MINUTE :)

I tried it in shade for a few days... probably not enough.

OMG GOOD POINT! YES ITLL BE THERE IN ONE MINUTE :)

I tried it in shade for a few days... probably not enough.

Yeah leave it there for a few weeks and keep your eye on it.

Keep in mind, you said you have had it for over a month. So it has taken that amount of time to reach the point it is at now. It certainly wont recover any faster than it went down hill. It's worse than watching paint dry or water boil. Weeks....

HarryPotter

Keep in mind, you said you have had it for over a month. So it has taken that amount of time to reach the point it is at now. It certainly wont recover any faster than it went down hill. It's worse than watching paint dry or water boil. Weeks....

Yessir, I understand. I will be getting a nice sized frag rack later and am hoping to arrange the brain so it gets shade. If that doesn't work, I will have to either trade the brain or re-scape

Archived