Pod Your Reef

Please help - jumping firefish

PDR

I don't have time for a long post but can add more details later. I have a helfrichi firefish and flasher wrasse that have been together for 12 days without issue. They are both out all the time and swam around each other with no issue. Last night the firefish started to go nuts whenever the wrasse swam near him. He actually managed to jump out of a tiny gap in the lid (that I have since sealed) and has tried jumping out another 3-4 times. I've checked all of the parameters and everything is fine. The fire fish has plenty of hiding spaces but chooses to stick himself in a corner and freak out whenever the wrasse swims (casually) anywhere near him. Any ideas on what I can do to get him to calm down? I'm afraid he's going to end up hurting himself.

Firefish jump, that is what they do, they are VERY skittish. 2 of mine have gone carpet surfing now and I've given up on them for now.

I understand they can be skittish, but I have had a purple firefish in another tank for months and it has never freaked out like that. My main concern is that there seems to be no reason he started acting so afraid of the wrasse. And more than that, why he is choosing to corner himself instead of going to his bolt hole.

SquishyFishy

Be thankful you don't have a banana wrasse....I've never seen any fish so spooky as him. He's hit his snout on just about every surface in the tank....even when I walk by!! He freaks! Don't know what the answer is, but I'd like to catch him and take him to the lfs to trade, but he's so fast its like the Incredibles boy!

I understand they can be skittish, but I have had a purple firefish in another tank for months and it has never freaked out like that. My main concern is that there seems to be no reason he started acting so afraid of the wrasse. And more than that, why he is choosing to corner himself instead of going to his bolt hole.

Not all of them will be the same just like any other animal, one might be calm and one might be super skittish. So it is very likely you won't be able to do anything about it. You could swap the 2 fish and put them in the other tanks and re-acclimate them but other than that there really isn't anything you can do about the one being so skittish.

Does if have a place under a rock, maybe where he can dig out some sand, to make a home? Firefish like to have in small caves, either natural or ones they dig out. Otherwise this behavior is normal, unfortunately.

I have a purple fire fish that has hit my glass top probably 8 times in the last 3 years and he seems fine! Unless it is constant I would not worry about him getting hurt. Mine has plenty of hiding places too. Its just how they are! My melanarus wrasse is the same way. Very jumpy!

Archived