Top Shelf Aquatics

NanoGeek's JBJ RL 45!

NanoGeek

Ok I did that and the bubbles now come up about halfway in the center tube. That should work. I went ahead and hooked up my ATO, must say I think the Avast Marine pump is going to work perfectly. It has no problem pushing water from the bottom of my stand up into the tank. All I need now is some of those command strips to stick it up in my stand.

By the way, do you all use photobucket for pictures or something else? My photobucket constantly crashes and I'm looking for other options.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

Ok I did that and the bubbles now come up about halfway in the center tube. That should work. I went ahead and hooked up my ATO, must say I think the Avast Marine pump is going to work perfectly. It has no problem pushing water from the bottom of my stand up into the tank. All I need now is some of those command strips to stick it up in my stand.

By the way, do you all use photobucket for pictures or something else? My photobucket constantly crashes and I'm looking for other options.

Photobucket is awesome! I've never had an issue- just drag to library and copy the link :)

Ok, I couldn't find a tinypic app for my phone, so I am testing Flickr....ok that dont work either, I will stick to photobucket. By the way, I found the Hefty bucket at Lowes, its 8 gallons and fits perfectly in the bottom. I think I might get one of those fishing bobbers on a long stick, let the stick come out of a small hole in the top then I will have a fill level indicator without opening the lid.

20150624_231705.jpg

20150624_231748.jpg

HarryPotter

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132556151@N02/p2pAPT

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132556151@N02/9WS10R

https://www.flickr.com/gp/132556151@N02/h38L92

Ok, I couldn't find a tinypic app for my phone, so I am testing Flickr. Hopefully this works. By the way, I found the Hefty bucket at Lowes, its 8.5 gallons and fits perfectly in the bottom. I think I might get one of those fishing bobbers on a long stick, let the stick come out of a small hole in the top then I will have a fill level indicator without opening the lid.

Make sure there's no metal

Yea, I dont go fishing, so I have no clue of they even make them without metal parts. I figured it would just be a stick and a Styrofoam ball.

Cool, then Im sure I can come up with something with a bobber.

So I got a delivery today from InTank

20150625_205304.jpg

Everything was packed extremely well, the media baskets fit flawlessly, I put the filter floss, chem-pure blue and my old top sponge in one, the other has filter floss, the ceramic rings, and the charcoal I already had. I put some filter floss on the bottom of each one too. Hopefully keeping my old media in there will keep my cycle going. I am unsure if I want to use the fuge basket or not, it will be either that or my minimax reactor. I also snagged up a couple of the updated flow channels to hang on the back over top of the filters. I will have to do a small mod to make those fit like on the RL 30, but I think they will help.

The spin stream nozzles work well as designed, but they are noisy. I can hear them across the room. Hopefully when they get a good slime buildup inside they will quiten down. They also sent me a couple scrapers, some stickers, and a sweedish fish! InTank really knocked it out of the ballpark with packing, shipping, and customer service I am very pleased.

Onto my cycle, last night I had a PH reading of 8.2, Ammonia 4.0 after I raised it with Ace Hardware ammonia, Nitrite was .5, and Nitrate was 5.0. I am assuming my cycle was going a bit with the krill shrimp. I did add a half bottle of fritz-zyme turbo 900 too.

Tonight I checked everything again, my ph dropped to 8.0, Ammonia dropped to 1.0, Nitrite was 5.0, and Nitrate was 40. Seems like significant changes for 24 hours. I guess the fritz-zyme does do something.

Should I add more ammonia now? Or wait until it and nitrites drop to zero? And when they drop should I go ahead and do the tanks first water change? Thanks everyone!

I wouldn't add anymore ammonia, but I don't know what regimen you're going off of. You can remove all that media, and your cycle will still continue. It's the matter of your rocking being able to break down the nitrite, and ammonia fast enough. Once nitrite and ammonia reach 0, i'd wait 2 days just to make sure...test again, and your nitrates should be sky-high. Perform a large water change, and you want your nitrate 0.

How much do those spin streams reduce flow? I bought the hydor ones and they reduced my return flow by like 75% was ridiculous!

Ok I will leave the ammonia alone for now if not for good. I have been reading alot about fishless cycling online and seems alot of people use the same ammonia to kick start it. Some say when it falls below 2.0, bring it back up to 2.0 for a few days to keep feedig the bacteria, so I was unsure. How big of a water change would you recommend?

As for the nozzles, honestly I cant tell if my flow reduced or not. Maybe some because its not being forced through a smaller opening now. I just got them because the way my rock is in there, the flow from the other nozzles kept flowing the water around the little rock in the middle, under the bridge part and creating 2 large cavities in the sand. No matter how I aimed them, it still did it. Hopefully these help.

Yea, if you're following a regimen and it's proven then stick to it. I've always used a live rock from my tanks that have been established, and some of the left over sand.. then ready to go. I'm interested in those nozzles to give a more omni directional flow. But the way the hydors reduce my flow it's just not possible to run them. Post a video when you get a chance, i'd like to see =)

Do I have to upload to youtube for a video or is there another way? The nozzles have quitened down a bit since yesterday which is good.

I checked my water again tonight, ph was between 7.8 and 8.0, couldnt tell. Ammonia was 0, nitrite was 0, whats weird is nitrate went down to 20. Is it possible for nitrates to drop on their own? I havent done a water change yet. Also what can I use to raise Ph a bit? The regimen I am following is supposed to work according to quite a few people, so I think I will raise my ammonia back to 2.0 and see what happens again by tomorrow night.

If you changed filter media, yes it's possible. Ok, attempt it once more... and I think you may be good to go if your readings are like that... Just do some water changes to rid of nitrates.

HarryPotter

Cool, then Im sure I can come up with something with a bobber.

So I got a delivery today from InTank20150625_205304.jpg

Everything was packed extremely well, the media baskets fit flawlessly, I put the filter floss, chem-pure blue and my old top sponge in one, the other has filter floss, the ceramic rings, and the charcoal I already had. I put some filter floss on the bottom of each one too. Hopefully keeping my old media in there will keep my cycle going. I am unsure if I want to use the fuge basket or not, it will be either that or my minimax reactor. I also snagged up a couple of the updated flow channels to hang on the back over top of the filters. I will have to do a small mod to make those fit like on the RL 30, but I think they will help.

The spin stream nozzles work well as designed, but they are noisy. I can hear them across the room. Hopefully when they get a good slime buildup inside they will quiten down. They also sent me a couple scrapers, some stickers, and a sweedish fish! InTank really knocked it out of the ballpark with packing, shipping, and customer service I am very pleased.

Onto my cycle, last night I had a PH reading of 8.2, Ammonia 4.0 after I raised it with Ace Hardware ammonia, Nitrite was .5, and Nitrate was 5.0. I am assuming my cycle was going a bit with the krill shrimp. I did add a half bottle of fritz-zyme turbo 900 too.

Tonight I checked everything again, my ph dropped to 8.0, Ammonia dropped to 1.0, Nitrite was 5.0, and Nitrate was 40. Seems like significant changes for 24 hours. I guess the fritz-zyme does do something.

Should I add more ammonia now? Or wait until it and nitrites drop to zero? And when they drop should I go ahead and do the tanks first water change? Thanks everyone!

Nice goodie basket!

I ordered almost the same stuff lol- so a few comments. The InTank Refuigium doesn't work as is. Because it's not a perfect fit, TONS of Chaeto escape through the sides- some DIY mesh is necessary.

Why spin stream nozzles? Do they even lay below the waterline? In my case I use a strong powerhead (MP40) to make turbulent flow.

Have you upgraded/considered upgrading the return pumps? Wretched just did his

Nice goodie basket!

I ordered almost the same stuff lol- so a few comments. The InTank Refuigium doesn't work as is. Because it's not a perfect fit, TONS of Chaeto escape through the sides- some DIY mesh is necessary.

Why spin stream nozzles? Do they even lay below the waterline? In my case I use a strong powerhead (MP40) to make turbulent flow.

Have you upgraded/considered upgrading the return pumps? Wretched just did his

Im still undecided if I want to use the refugium basket anyways. It was on sale so I got it just in case I ever want it. I think at some point I will just put my minimax reactor in that spot. And I got the spin stream nozzles to try out because no matter how I turned the stock nozzles they was blowing 2 large cavities in the sand under the rock bridge. Trying these to see if it will stop happening. About 80 percent of their circular travel is under the water line, they barely come out when they are at the top.

20150626_222653.jpg

I am trying to upload an actual video for wretched of them working, but its taking forever.

I was thinking an mp10 would be enough of a powerhead is it not? As for the return pumps I have thought of upgrading them, but as of right now I'm just really trying to get everything set up and going, then if I get livestock that requires a lot more water flow I will go from there.

HarryPotter

Yeah MP10 would be enough- running it at 80 or so. I just got the MP40wQD from a 300g cichlids tank, so figured why not. It stays 30-40%

HarryPotter

Better to have too much than not enough

Yeah you can always dial down the flow, but can't get above 100%!

I would say that with a MP10 you wouldn't need to upgrade the pumps. Two MP10s would be amazing, but expensive!

Is there any powerheads thats as good as vortechs but not as expensive? 2 mp10s would cost quite alot

HarryPotter

Is there any powerheads thats as good as vortechs but not as expensive? 2 mp10s would cost quite alot

Well as good could be simple Jebaos- they are cheap! Only think is that they are a bit more obtrusive within the tank. However some like that more than the Vortech dry side.

Other option could be a Gyre 150 or a few Koralias on a JBJ timer

I will definitely have to read some reviews on those other powerheads, but more than likely I will just end up with one mp10 for now and add another later if needed, or just one mp40 like you have.

I think my next expense will be a fish or 2 after my cycle completes. I originally wanted a couple clowns, goby and a pistol shrimp, but now another thread on here has got me intrigued with a wartskin angler. That one is a big maybe though because I think my kids would like the clowns better and I cant have both together.

HarryPotter

I will definitely have to read some reviews on those other powerheads, but more than likely I will just end up with one mp10 for now and add another later if needed, or just one mp40 like you have.

I think my next expense will be a fish or 2 after my cycle completes. I originally wanted a couple clowns, goby and a pistol shrimp, but now another thread on here has got me intrigued with a wartskin angler. That one is a big maybe though because I think my kids would like the clowns better and I cant have both together.

I vote a pair of clowns, a goby, an anthias, a dwarf angel, and a wrasse. (Slowly added over time, obviously)

I run Jebao rw-4 and it's amazing. It put my mp10 on the backburner lol

I have been looking at a couple rw-4s throughout the day. Would be so much cheaper than 2 mp10s. I just dont know how I would route the wires in my tank

Archived