ReefCleaners.org

Should I move my Duncan?

bioload

My Duncan has been in this exact spot since I got it 6mo ago. It has thrived to the point that it is starting to grow against the glass on the left side. I know Duncan's can be finicky so I'm hesitant to move it but I also don't want it to be damaged if it doesn't have room to fully expand. Opinions?

post-60124-0-46696600-1434908794_thumb.jpg

Forgot to mention it is firmly attached to a large rock so it would not be easy to move without a major change in my rock scape

shaneandjohn

If it were me, I would just leave it alone, as long as it is doing well and is happy. Is it in a place you are happy with? Can you still get close enough to clean your glass, or will it bother you if you can't clean it in that area?

Duncan's have an incredible growth rate if they are happy, and fed well. I feed mine Meaty foods 1 time a week and have gone from 3 heads to over 25 in about 3 years.

Sounds like you are doing something right!

Shane

Its definitely one of my favorites. I can't clean the glass in that area and that does bug me and it will only get worse. I'd like to move it a good inch from the glass when fully expanded. BTW I very rarely spot feed it but it does snag some food when I feed the fish.

same to me, I bought a 2-head Duncan, now is 30+ heads, next to the glass too, same as you, just I leave it there, dont bother it, let it grow.

agreed if you do not move it, it w simply adapt and grow massive. i think either duncans or favites are the fastest lps mass builders ive ever owned. duncans may edge out, when happy they bud so fast.

"When Happy" is the key with them. I think I got lucky with the original placement and it has thrived ever since. It never totally retracts, it just gets a bit smaller as the lights dim at night.

Archived