Cultivated Reef

2 Radeons over 40 breeder?

TylerR

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. Decided to make an account as I'm finally building my tank. It will be a custom rimless 36" x 18" x 15". This is my first tank ever and the options are pretty overwhelming to be honest. As far as equipment planned I think I've got it almost all decided except for lighting.

I've already committed to using EcoTech Radeon G3 for lighting so I'm not looking for alternative brands. My uncertainty comes with how many and what config I should get . I'm ok with the cost of two if it will give what I desire, so price isn't a priority here. I've really tried to do my research and have considered a few configurations, but wanted to ensure I'm not crazy when I say I'm strongly leaning toward 2 for several reasons:

• I want a bright and evenly lit display tank (no darker edges)
  • Ecotech recommends coverage of 1 per 24"x24". Mine is 12" too long for this. I could raise it higher for more coverage but I'd lose intensity and ...
  • I predict 2 xr30w will produce softer shadowing since the combined light acts more like an "area light" rather than a "point light" which is what 1 radeon approaches when raising it for more coverage, if that makes sense.

I really try to do my research before asking for help and I couldn't find an exact situation to validate my expectations with Gen3's. But I found something very close. The most similar case I could find was thirdchilds 40b who started with 2 G1 radeons and later went with a single xr30w pro with TIR lens. From his pictures the pro version even with wide angle lens didn't match the 2 Gen1's he had previously in terms of coverage. Here's the comparison from thirdchild's tank:

From his Sep 2012 pic: Two Gen1's (intensity not listed)

20120910fts.jpg

From his April 2014: One xr30w Pro Gen3 (45% intensity)

20140422fts.jpg

I don't know. I guess I just feel like getting two for my tank is a bit much and may get some laughs (this is my first tank ever), but that coverage he shows from 2 radeons is nice! So am I crazy for considering two radeons for my tank? Are there any known 40 breeder tanks with a single xr30w with good coverage (with pictures so I can see)?

If I go with 2 I do expect to have to run them at a lower intensity. 2 Gen3's at full intensity seems crazy, no?

Most may say: 'Get one and try it then add another if you don't like it'. But that's less of an option in my case for several reasons. So my biggest priority is that the lighting system be purchased and setup only once.

Either two XR30W or two XR15W should work fine for the application and would be a good choice. More coverage is always better.

I've asked the same question in numerous threads and the response I got was split. My tank is 36x20x14 and some people said one with wide lenses is enough. Others said 2 was a must. I had the money so I bought 2. I'm still waiting for my tank to be built but I'll be running 2 XR30s with wide lenses over it. I figure I'll be in the 45-50% for output and I'm totally ok with that.

I would say 2 unless you plan to have really low light corals on the outer edges of the tank. The 36" width is a bit to wide for a single radion.

You guys rock. Thanks for helping me not feel so crazy for considering 2. Sounds like the 36" is in a bit of a weird zone where using two isn't outlandish.

Archived