Top Shelf Aquatics

Curing a couple pieces of rock in a bucket to add to an established DT - ?s

neverrain

Heyo,

I'm currently QTing a new fish for my tank, and it's been over 2 months (pushing 3 really), and I want to get the little guy into my DT.

I started curing a couple pieces of live rock so I can make a cave for it when I moved it into my DT tank. I've been testing the water weekly in the bucket I am using for the rock, and ammonia is at 0ppm in the bucket, however, Nitrite is at ~5ppm. Does this mean the bacteria on the rock has formed and just hasn't consumed all the Nitrite in the bucket water? Is this rock safe to put into my DT yet? Since I don't need the bucket water, do I need to wait for the water to test 0s across the board to use the rock?

Is the display tank already cycled and running? If you have any nitrites in the cycling rock, the cycle is not complete. If your display tank has been running and cycled, then I would have just added dry rock to the tank to make the cave to not cause a mini cycle

The DT has been up and stable for ~2 years. TBH, I think it's OK if I added a single piece of rock to the tank at this point from the bucket. I was just hoping to get a second opinion.

The DT has been up and stable for ~2 years. TBH, I think it's OK if I added a single piece of rock to the tank at this point from the bucket. I was just hoping to get a second opinion.

You can add dry rock to a stable system without worry. I have done it plenty of times.

You can add dry rock to a stable system without worry. I have done it plenty of times.

So by this, half/mostly cycled rock should be fine? My logic is, since the bacteria has clearly formed on the rocks and consumed the ammonia and turned it into nitrite, the bacteria has actually formed, but just hasn't finished converting in the process.

Archived