Top Shelf Aquatics

Stella's 12 Long - Bob, Bobii and Dotii's Weedy Adventure

ReefWeeds

Yes... although I don't really count Jeff's Monster Tank since there aren't any corals and it is really an easy tank to maintain with 50% water changes and a few bits of meaty foods for the RFAs during the week :) OR at least I tell myself that it doesn't count to make myself feel better about the seriously disturbing "setting up tanks and buying stuff" addiction I seem to have!!! :blink:

The monster tank is pretty cool :). I love that white RFA in there :wub:.

The 12 Long is a really awesome size. I'm really liking the long tanks now after having my 20 Long set up.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm excited about the long tank. I also ordered some diamond dust drill bit thingys so I can drill some 1.5" holes in the top of the island for the orchid pots. And some smaller drill bit things so I can put some acrylic rods in to keep the island structurally sound. So, I'm either going to end up with a lot of broken shards of rock and a broken drill and such, OR a scape I can live with. Not sure which yet....

I also am formulating a recipe of such to make my own mortar mix that is lighter weight. I've done some hypertufa work/sculptures in the past, and it got me to thinking about using a similar recipe for reef tanks. I researched to make sure I could find stuff that would be inert in the salt water and not impact/leach crap into the water. Pearlite seems inert since I really think from my research it is just a form of glass and it would really make the rock structure lighter.

thecoralbeauty

stellablue, if this ends up being as awesome as it sounds like it will be, you may have to start doing custom orders for people.

stellablue, if this ends up being as awesome as it sounds like it will be, you may have to start doing custom orders for people.

you have lots of faith in me! haha! Actually, after seeing the prices of the aquascapers (I think that's the name) rocks, I kind of thought along these lines which made me research my own rock formula. We'll see! Need to find some good, reef safe magnets though. I also want to make some casts of some cool tonga branches (un-dong-like).

If the orchids prove too difficult, you could go with air plants! Those are super easy :).

Definitely! I'm not sure how the orchids will like the lighting. So, I'm going to try one and see how it does.

I can't wait for this build Stella! Too bad Dave didn't make it to RAP or Jeff would have fully agreed on the spot about the DUO (do it! I love mine).

Sarah and I were talking yesterday about your idea for this tank so glad you have the tank ordered.

I absolutely love the long tanks and cannot wait to upgrade when we move next. I love my Fusion 40 cube, but I am dying to do a minimalist island aquascape!

I'm excited about the long tank. I also ordered some diamond dust drill bit thingys so I can drill some 1.5" holes in the top of the island for the orchid pots. And some smaller drill bit things so I can put some acrylic rods in to keep the island structurally sound. So, I'm either going to end up with a lot of broken shards of rock and a broken drill and such, OR a scape I can live with. Not sure which yet....

I also am formulating a recipe of such to make my own mortar mix that is lighter weight. I've done some hypertufa work/sculptures in the past, and it got me to thinking about using a similar recipe for reef tanks. I researched to make sure I could find stuff that would be inert in the salt water and not impact/leach crap into the water. Pearlite seems inert since I really think from my research it is just a form of glass and it would really make the rock structure lighter.

I'd love to see this mortar mix and how easy it might be to use. Never know when a gal might need it. :)

I can't wait for this build Stella! Too bad Dave didn't make it to RAP or Jeff would have fully agreed on the spot about the DUO (do it! I love mine).

Sarah and I were talking yesterday about your idea for this tank so glad you have the tank ordered.

I absolutely love the long tanks and cannot wait to upgrade when we move next. I love my Fusion 40 cube, but I am dying to do a minimalist island aquascape!

Come visit! Talk Jeff into it! haha! he does spreadsheets for EVERYTHING and I am up to my ears in business props for work, so yesterday i told him I was going to order it and he says "ok, put together a spreadsheet showing your business prop for the light". I laughed and said the business prop is it can be Dead themed.

I'd love to see this mortar mix and how easy it might be to use. Never know when a gal might need it. :)

if it works, I'll share my secrets! I'm going to try a small batch out this weekend. Just need to get some nylon fibers (I'm pretty sure those will be reef safe) to add some strength to the mix. I then want to let it cure for about 30 days in some salt water and check to see if it has impact to the PH or anything. In the beginning it will, but after a couple weeks, it should level out.

And if ANYONE comes across some cool tonga branches I could use to create a mold, let me know! I will buy them off you!

Stella, you are likely going to have to cure the cement in vinegar...it will probably overwhelm the buffering capacity of pretty much any volume of water you can dunk it in at home.

Might want to google a bit about cement...I know folks use aragonite sand in the mix as well.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

Stella, you are likely going to have to cure the cement in vinegar...it will probably overwhelm the buffering capacity of pretty much any volume of water you can dunk it in at home.

Might want to google a bit about cement...I know folks use aragonite sand in the mix as well.

Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how this comes out.

good thought. I think it also depends on the cement you use from what I've found. With hypertufa, you just cure outside, but that takes at least a month as well. I've done it by curing in fresh water and changing out the water every few days, but the vinegar may be easier.

Come visit! Talk Jeff into it! haha! he does spreadsheets for EVERYTHING and I am up to my ears in business props for work, so yesterday i told him I was going to order it and he says "ok, put together a spreadsheet showing your business prop for the light". I laughed and said the business prop is it can be Dead themed.

if it works, I'll share my secrets! I'm going to try a small batch out this weekend. Just need to get some nylon fibers (I'm pretty sure those will be reef safe) to add some strength to the mix. I then want to let it cure for about 30 days in some salt water and check to see if it has impact to the PH or anything. In the beginning it will, but after a couple weeks, it should level out.

And if ANYONE comes across some cool tonga branches I could use to create a mold, let me know! I will buy them off you!

This gave me a serious laugh. Why? Jeff and I must be pretty darn similar. I have a very detailed spreadsheet for both of my tanks lol! Your thought about the GD theme should certainly work!

Well, after the mess I made with attempting to order the tank over a week ago, I did FINALLY order it for real (hopefully). Says it will be delivered on 7/3! woo!

I also got in some pukani rock, EMarco400, some other aquascaping stuff and have decided that I'm eventually going to get a Mame skimmer III. It is sleek, the profile is small and it is pretty aesthetically pleasing so even if I end up putting it in a corner of my tank, I think it will be ok and won't be obtrusive. But due to how small it is, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tuck it in the overflow. Maybe move the heater to an area in the tank that is hidden by the scape.

Still doing the hard sell on the husband for the NanoBox duo! Actually, he's agreed pretty much - especially since I told him he could figure out what the design on the housing would be (which will most likely be a Grateful Dead theme).

Nice to finally hear you'll be getting the tank. I'm super excited now that I have completed your AIO kit, I just need a few pics before I hand it over to you :)

Someone had suggested that I should also do an refugium kit for the other end of the tank. The advantages here is that you have the full space for chaeto and fit a small skimmer in there, and since there is additional pump, there is more flow to reduce dead spots. I really like that concept a lot and would be a very clean setup with about 27" of tank space available.

Nice to finally hear you'll be getting the tank. I'm super excited now that I have completed your AIO kit, I just need a few pics before I hand it over to you :)

Someone had suggested that I should also do an refugium kit for the other end of the tank. The advantages here is that you have the full space for chaeto and fit a small skimmer in there, and since there is additional pump, there is more flow to reduce dead spots. I really like that concept a lot and would be a very clean setup with about 27" of tank space available.

That's a good idea. Or a HOB refugium kit maybe?

I can't wait to see the photos!!!!!!!!

Definitely! I'm not sure how the orchids will like the lighting. So, I'm going to try one and see how it does.

i have a hoya bella that was hanging on the wall next to my tank for years. the lady that sold it to us told me it was difficult to get them to flower. My mom has several cuttings from this plant and she has never had hers produce a single flower. Mine is always in bloom. Especially where the excess light from the tank fell on it. Since I moved the tank It hasn't produced flowers. I am putting a couple orchids next to my 8 gallon I am hoping the LEDs have the same effect on the orchids.

This gave me a serious laugh. Why? Jeff and I must be pretty darn similar. I have a very detailed spreadsheet for both of my tanks lol! Your thought about the GD theme should certainly work!

OMG. He has color coded spreadsheets for EVERYFREAKINGTHING. Fantasy football, fantasy baseball, crazy spreadsheets for buying cars, grills, the budget, you freaking name it. Two peas in a pod you guys are!

I talked him into doing a thread on here for his monster tank (small tank with monsters). He's looking forward to it! He really enjoyed meeting all of you on Saturday.

i have a hoya bella that was hanging on the wall next to my tank for years. the lady that sold it to us told me it was difficult to get them to flower. My mom has several cuttings from this plant and she has never had hers produce a single flower. Mine is always in bloom. Especially where the excess light from the tank fell on it. Since I moved the tank It hasn't produced flowers. I am putting a couple orchids next to my 8 gallon I am hoping the LEDs have the same effect on the orchids.

Very cool!!!!!

I've wondered about this... Time to move my last remaining orchid!

I can't wait until you have the pictures coming for this tank. I am going to be building the 22 Gallon version of this. The tank get's drilled tomorrow. I will start taking pictures of everything late next week while I build the stand. So many of these long tanks going up it is exciting to see all the similarities and differences. I am taking a little from everyone's designs. "Scorched" tank really inspired me to go this route.

Also looking forward to pics. These long shallow tanks are very sexy. I am thinking about upgrading the 8. Cindy inspired my 8 and now looking at Scorched tank and your ideas a 12 to 20 long might be my next project.

I can't wait until you have the pictures coming for this tank. I am going to be building the 22 Gallon version of this. The tank get's drilled tomorrow. I will start taking pictures of everything late next week while I build the stand. So many of these long tanks going up it is exciting to see all the similarities and differences. I am taking a little from everyone's designs. "Scorched" tank really inspired me to go this route.

I'm excited to see your build! MrReefer81 finished my AIO kit! Yippee! Getting shipped today! I'm also going to start working on the rock scape today. I've got the pukani in some water so I can loosen up some of the dead crap and brush it off before I start building it. I'm still trying to piece together the island side that will hide the AIO/return/etc and house the plants. I've got some acrylic rods, some drill bits and some mortar. Either it will be a flaming disaster or it will work. Not sure which yet.

Also looking forward to pics. These long shallow tanks are very sexy. I am thinking about upgrading the 8. Cindy inspired my 8 and now looking at Scorched tank and your ideas a 12 to 20 long might be my next project.

DOOOO ITTTTT! I had a fleeting moment of wanting the Mr. Aqua 22 gallon long (and almost gave MrReefer81 a heart attack), then realized I wanted to keep it smaller for the location I'm placing this. Both are roughly the same length, but the 22 gets you a little more height and width.

I'm excited to see your build! MrReefer81 finished my AIO kit! Yippee! Getting shipped today! I'm also going to start working on the rock scape today. I've got the pukani in some water so I can loosen up some of the dead crap and brush it off before I start building it. I'm still trying to piece together the island side that will hide the AIO/return/etc and house the plants. I've got some acrylic rods, some drill bits and some mortar. Either it will be a flaming disaster or it will work. Not sure which yet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DOOOO ITTTTT! I had a fleeting moment of wanting the Mr. Aqua 22 gallon long (and almost gave MrReefer81 a heart attack), then realized I wanted to keep it smaller for the location I'm placing this. Both are roughly the same length, but the 22 gets you a little more height and width.

I am actually dreading working on the scape. I ordered 15lb's of dry rock from ReefCleaners Hopefully I can figure something out. I will be drilling and gluing and whatever nonsense I must do to make it perfect. I am going all out on this tank compared to any tank I have built in the past.

So far I have gotten all my supplies fro Marine Depot, Reef Cleaners, Nanobox, and Home Depot. Oh! And Coral compulsion for a Fuge bulb. Just talking about it is making me wish I can get started on building the stand. I can't wait to take pictures and see your aqua scaping idea pictures!

Def do the 22 long.... U won't regret it... Here's my scorched inspired custom 48' x 10' x 10'

4454D86B-55E5-46B6-ADAF-E70B2721E56B_zps

Can't wait to how hrs turns out Stellablue....

Def do the 22 long.... U won't regret it... Here's my scorched inspired custom 48' x 10' x 10'

4454D86B-55E5-46B6-ADAF-E70B2721E56B_zps

Can't wait to how hrs turns out Stellablue....

I can't wait to see yours filled with water! It's a nice tank.

Well, I've been giving some thought to which fish I can have in this tank and would LOVE feedback. I'm going to incorporate a media basket and skimmer as well as a Jebao RW-4 at the opposite end of the AIO/pump/etc.

1. Definitely want to do a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Candy Striped pistol

2. Thinking about a Swiss Guard Basslet

3. 1 black and white clown with possibly a small BTA (Can I do a pair if I don't do the basslet)

4. Maybe a neon goby or clown goby

Whatcha all think?

Well, I've been giving some thought to which fish I can have in this tank and would LOVE feedback. I'm going to incorporate a media basket and skimmer as well as a Jebao RW-4 at the opposite end of the AIO/pump/etc.

1. Definitely want to do a Yellow Watchman Goby and a Candy Striped pistol

2. Thinking about a Swiss Guard Basslet

3. 1 black and white clown with possibly a small BTA (Can I do a pair if I don't do the basslet)

4. Maybe a neon goby or clown goby

Whatcha all think?

Is this tank going to have a cover? The Swiss Guards are easily spooked

Archived