Cultivated Reef

Stella's 12 Long - Bob, Bobii and Dotii's Weedy Adventure

ReefWeeds

FTS as of 7/21/2016:

4nPbFaJ.jpg

Right now, this is in concept phase, but here's what I'm planning:

Tank: Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long

Light: Maxspect Razor Nano, mounted higher off the tank to increase the spread since the tank is only 9 inches in depth Changed to Coral Compulsion Par 30 Refugium bulbs (2)

Filtration: Converting to an AIO peninsula style with a kit designed and made by MrReefer81. Will include a media basket where I will run floss and carbon when needed, followed by purigen then chemipure elite

Stocking:

Mangroves, various macros, gorgonians, sponges, softies and oddball stuff orchids and air plants will be housed in a rock structure on the side where the AIO kit will sit in order to hide the mechanics (Maybe). I love WaWaWang's 40 shallow (June TOTM) and got a lot of inspiration for this tank from WaWaWang's thread.

LPS, softies and a few favorite easy SPS like Pocillopora and/or monti caps

Fish: Not sure yet. Maybe a few smaller gobies: green banded, clown, yellow watchman, or something like that.

Macro algae and lots of it along with some gorgs

Meet Dot and Bob, African Fancy Gumdrop Coral Crouchers! Kudos to HolyCarp for my cartoon :)

JVbOPvK.jpg

That's all I've got so far!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hilarious tank name but love the concept, especially the dimensions of that tank. I don't see very many tank like this, can't wait to see it done. I think you may even be able to run some chaeto in the return chamber.

FlowerMama came up with the name! I owe it all to her :) AND THAT IS AWESOME ABOUT THE CHAETO!!!!!!!!

Hilarious tank name but love the concept, especially the dimensions of that tank. I don't see very many tank like this, can't wait to see it done. I think you may even be able to some chaeto in the return chamber.

SOOO EXCITED!

Whats the design of the Peninsula AIO? Sounds awesome! He does great work :)

haha...it will be revealed by the owner later? but thanks Harry :)

haha...it will be revealed by the owner later? but thanks Harry :)

We're going to start a 12 long revolution.

Your signature caricature is too cute! I guess it's official now that you have started a thread!

HAHA! Yep! Ordered the tank today from marine depot! woo hoo!

Looking forward to this thread... I got inspired by scorched tank thread.... TCC6AB77E-835C-4049-9E14-5EFD8D4813EB_zps

They don't make these tank in the U.K so had one custom made but wider,higher and longer... Loads of ideas on here good luck to you..

Looking forward to this thread... I got inspired by scorched tank thread.... TCC6AB77E-835C-4049-9E14-5EFD8D4813EB_zps

They don't make these tank in the U.K so had one custom made but wider,higher and longer... Loads of ideas on here good luck to you..

Thanks Lynton! I just checked yours out right before you posted this! Love the dimensions!! I love the look of these long tanks.

Thank you, it's been a long old process as I've had the tank since January this year, but life has got in way but almost there just some more rock, sand and a skimmer then it will get wet finally .

Speaking of skimmers, anyone recommend a HOB that would work in the 12 g long? Height is approx 9 inches. I've been doing some research but my limited knowledge is hindering progress! With the BC, it was easy! Went with what Stevie recommended - Tunze 9001 - fits perfectly in back chamber. But with this one, I need it to hang outside of the tank.

Well, i'm getting in my dry rock this week! Yay! After I had ordered the tank from Amazon, I found it cheaper on Marine Depot. I was able to cancel the order. Bad news is I didn't order it right away and now they're out of stock :( So I have a 2-3 week wait before I can order the tank again. And now Amazon is out as well. I thought about reordering it there and paying the extra $20 bucks, but was too late on that as well.

I have some time to plan out the scape, find some orchids, etc. etc.

OH - and talk the husband into letting me buy a Nanobox duo. With the 4 inch chamber, the rock structure for plants, I figure the duo will be enough spread for the tank that will be lit. Plus, I can always put lower light corals into the areas that aren't as well lit (or NPS).

HarryPotter

Well, i'm getting in my dry rock this week! Yay! After I had ordered the tank from Amazon, I found it cheaper on Marine Depot. I was able to cancel the order. Bad news is I didn't order it right away and now they're out of stock :( So I have a 2-3 week wait before I can order the tank again. And now Amazon is out as well. I thought about reordering it there and paying the extra $20 bucks, but was too late on that as well.

OH - and talk the husband into letting me buy a Nanobox duo. With the 4 inch chamber, the rock structure for plants, I figure the duo will be enough spread for the tank that will be lit. Plus, I can always put lower light corals into the areas that aren't as well lit (or NPS).

NICE! :)

Some of the the low light corals and NPS gorgs and sponges are very cool. I think that sounds like a great plan.

NICE! :)

Well, I didn't quite talk him into it YET.... I was hoping Dave would be at Reef-a-palooza and do the hard sell :)

HarryPotter

Well, I didn't quite talk him into it YET.... I was hoping Dave would be at Reef-a-palooza and do the hard sell :)

Lol good luck! Promise him it'll be the "light to end all lights"- you'll never want to upgrade it in the future.

Honestly I've been eyeing the Nanobox quad, hybrid, etc. Not happy with my radion over the tank.

Jack offered $450 so I could get the quad for $200 more, or the hybrid for $300 more. Thinking about it!

I'll have something up when I get my duo from Dave that'll be alllllll the convincing he will need.

Lol good luck! Promise him it'll be the "light to end all lights"- you'll never want to upgrade it in the future.

Honestly I've been eyeing the Nanobox quad, hybrid, etc. Not happy with my radion over the tank.

Jack offered $450 so I could get the quad for $200 more, or the hybrid for $300 more. Thinking about it!

I have the nano box retro duo in my biocube and freaking love it. Jeff loves it too, so hopefully he'll see the light soon :)

I'll have something up when I get my duo from Dave that'll be alllllll the convincing he will need.

NICE!!! Keep me posted! Are you going to the reefapalloza? I can't remember where you're located.

Well, after the mess I made with attempting to order the tank over a week ago, I did FINALLY order it for real (hopefully). Says it will be delivered on 7/3! woo!

I also got in some pukani rock, EMarco400, some other aquascaping stuff and have decided that I'm eventually going to get a Mame skimmer III. It is sleek, the profile is small and it is pretty aesthetically pleasing so even if I end up putting it in a corner of my tank, I think it will be ok and won't be obtrusive. But due to how small it is, I'm pretty sure I'll be able to tuck it in the overflow. Maybe move the heater to an area in the tank that is hidden by the scape.

Still doing the hard sell on the husband for the NanoBox duo! Actually, he's agreed pretty much - especially since I told him he could figure out what the design on the housing would be (which will most likely be a Grateful Dead theme).

Still doing the hard sell on the husband for the NanoBox duo! Actually, he's agreed pretty much - especially since I told him he could figure out what the design on the housing would be (which will most likely be a Grateful Dead theme).

Jealous. My wife "tolerates" my reefing. We would have to refinance the house if she loved it as much as I did.

Good luck with the build

So with this tank you'll have 3? :)

Yes... although I don't really count Jeff's Monster Tank since there aren't any corals and it is really an easy tank to maintain with 50% water changes and a few bits of meaty foods for the RFAs during the week :) OR at least I tell myself that it doesn't count to make myself feel better about the seriously disturbing "setting up tanks and buying stuff" addiction I seem to have!!! :blink:

Jealous. My wife "tolerates" my reefing. We would have to refinance the house if she loved it as much as I did.

Good luck with the build

Jeff is definitely not as "into it" as I am, but he likes it!

Archived