ReefCleaners.org

no ideal what this is!

elusianzxelo

elusianzxelo

Hi,

I started my 28g nano cube about a month and 2 weeks ago, after the 2nd day when I put my live rocks in, I notice there is some orange root looking thing attached to my rocks, and I notice that it got a little bit bigger at this point and would like to see if anyone can ID it? The texture of it is hard, not soft at all, attached is a picture of it, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

post-88319-0-87214600-1434651769_thumb.jpg

Mr. Microscope

Neat! Looks like some sort of small dendro. My confidence in that answer is only about 10%, but it's all I have.

I hope someone can give you a more positive ID. Good luck!

:welcome: to Nano-Reef!

Now that I think about it forams are usually a bit more spikey... But at least in the picture as it is It doesn't look like it has polyps.

How big?

Hmm...

Any noticeable movement from it (polyps, feeder tentacles, etc)? What about at night?

Any feeding response when you put food near it?

Any obvious entrance/exit holes?

You're sure there's no sponginess in it and it's completely hard?

What conditions do you have it in? Temp, flow, lighting, etc...

My other thought is that it's possibly a type of calcareous algae - which depending on your responses to the questions may be a better guess.

elusianzxelo

Any noticeable movement from it (polyps, feeder tentacles, etc)? What about at night?

None, just felt that it got a bit bigger, first I thought that was just me, but my friend also agreed it got bigger.

Any feeding response when you put food near it?

None, it more feel like a root to me.

Any obvious entrance/exit holes?

No, none.

You're sure there's no sponginess in it and it's completely hard?

Yes, it is completed hard, I even pressed on it.

What conditions do you have it in? Temp, flow, lighting, etc...

Temp:78F PH: 7.8 SG: 1.025 Ammonia: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 10 ppm

Equipment: JBJ 28g Nano Cube CF(which I will upgrade the light in a month or so)

My other thought is that it's possibly a type of calcareous algae - which depending on your responses to the questions may be a better guess.

correction, temp:78F

Archived