Cultivated Reef

Biggest Sump dummy in the world right here!

Gooburz

Most skimmers need 8-10" or so of water depth to function (thinking for a skimmer one might typically use for a 50-150+ gallon tank). The recommended ranges are usually stated by the manufacturers though. I usually err on the side too high because if for example I run my sump at 12" water depth in that chamber and the skimmer needs 8-10" I can make a little stand from plastic or whatever to raise the skimmer a little. Just make sure you have the head room for that though - it's not good to have a sump that's tall enough to make it difficult to get your hands in there.

Good luck

Awesome thanks for the info and i'll have a ton of room underneath because I make my stands a little larger and higher for the extra room. Going to stick with ESHOPPS for the skimmer because the HOB I have from them has been awesome and have had zero problems with it.

When you start your sump for the 1st time do you want the overflow to start then the return pump? I feel retarded for asking this.

I fill the main tank until the water is just starting to overflow. Then I fill the sump as far as practical. Start the pump, add water to the sump slowly until the levels stabilize. When you think you've got it, turn the pumps off and see where the water level is in the sump. You don't want so much water that your sump overflows when the power is off.

When you turn it back on, that's where your water level should be maintained (unless you need less for your skimmer or something).

I fill the main tank until the water is just starting to overflow. Then I fill the sump as far as practical. Start the pump, add water to the sump slowly until the levels stabilize. When you think you've got it, turn the pumps off and see where the water level is in the sump. You don't want so much water that your sump overflows when the power is off.

When you turn it back on, that's where your water level should be maintained (unless you need less for your skimmer or something).

Well the tank is already up and running so I guess I can drain it down a few inches and then fill up the sump and fire it up and then top it off as needed? I'm going to do a "power out" test a couple of times as well before I top it off to where it needs to be at.

That'll work. You will definitely need to be ready to add more directly to the sump. You don't want your return pump to run dry. That's a quick way to start wearing things out... ;) Remember, the plumbing holds water too.

How are you handling the back siphon issue when the power's out? I ended up drilling a hole in my return J tube right at the water line. Breaks siphon almost immediately avoiding the issue. And no worries about a check valve getting stuck open.

That'll work. You will definitely need to be ready to add more directly to the sump. You don't want your return pump to run dry. That's a quick way to start wearing things out... ;) Remember, the plumbing holds water too.

How are you handling the back siphon issue when the power's out? I ended up drilling a hole in my return J tube right at the water line. Breaks siphon almost immediately avoiding the issue. And no worries about a check valve getting stuck open.

I shouldn't have any issues with back siphon since I'm going with the Lifereef overflow, countless videos and reviews show it has zero problem with that. I will have about 10 gallons of premixed salt water ready to top off in the sump once the thing gets going so the pump doesn't go without water.

Archived