SaltCritters.com

Rod's Food

Fluffeh

Hi, I am considering trying out Rod's food (original blend) as I've heard a lot of good things about it. My fear however is that it will dirty up my water too much because it seems messy when feeding. I have a 29g biocube with several lps and sps corals + 2 clownfish + 1 cleaner shrimp (as well as several crabs/snails). I want to try to encourage more growth from my corals, and I feel as though I do not feed them enough currently. I would only use the Rod's food maybe once a week.

anyone use Rod's food and have any suggestions?

I also have a 29 g biocube, two clowns, two cleaner shrimp, some SPS, LPS and two hybrid gobies. I feed Rod's about 3x per week, mysis on the other days. All the things in my tank seem to LOVE Rod's. It does make the water messy for a bit, but clears up once you turn the pumps back on. I think as long as you have good flow and good skimming/exporting, you'll be fine - especially only once a week. I've seen really good growth from LPS and SPS (so far). But, I feed heavily (a few NLS pellets in the AM, either Rod's or mysis at night - if I feed mysis, I add in reef roids or reef chili in the mix for the corals). I do have the chambers set up as follows: Chamber 1 - heater; Chamber 2 - InTank media basket with floss (changed out every other day), purigen and chemipure elite followed by Tunze 9001 skimmer; Chamber 3 return pump, ATO sensor, ATO tube. I do 4 gallon water changes about every 4 days. So, I haven't seen nitrate issues although if I don't keep up with the W/Cs, then they'll creep to about 10 ppm. With the water changes and skimming, they are now consistently around 3-4 ppm.

I've used rod's food for a few years now. It can be a bit messy. I've found i put a quarter sized piece of it in a cup, let it dissolve in the cup with water (i use tape because we have really pure water here, TDS on tap reads in the 10-20's. i pour off the top portion, trying not to lose any of the food... fill back up with water, stire, then pour off some more of that, tends to be a bit less messy this way but does waste food.

I've used rod's food for a few years now. It can be a bit messy. I've found i put a quarter sized piece of it in a cup, let it dissolve in the cup with water (i use tape because we have really pure water here, TDS on tap reads in the 10-20's. i pour off the top portion, trying not to lose any of the food... fill back up with water, stire, then pour off some more of that, tends to be a bit less messy this way but does waste food.

That's interesting. I would think you'd lose some of the small particles that the corals like.

you lose some of the small stuff, but there's plenty in there to feed the corals. I use to try and direct/target feed corals, and was ending up with more work trying to clean up the water. So i cut out coral "feeding" and just used rods and let the light do the trick and they grew fine, but with kids and life, i just don't have the time i used to, to devote to the tank, so i try to keep it simple, and it has worked. But the food itself is great, it's the only thing i feed my tank, the plate coral, frogspawn, and duncan all easily grab the food out of the water column.

thanks, im going to pick some up this weekend :) stellablue - i have the EXACT same setup except with a tunze 9004 . i also have an mp10 for flow and ecotech xr15w for lighting. do you have any pics of your tank?

thanks, im going to pick some up this weekend :) stellablue - i have the EXACT same setup except with a tunze 9004 . i also have an mp10 for flow and ecotech xr15w for lighting. do you have any pics of your tank?

I do! If you click the image in my signature, it will bring you to my tank thread and I've got photos there! I just installed one of Dave's NanoBox retro kits and I love it. Right now, I'm just using two Koralia nanos in the DT for flow. How do you like the MP10? I swapped the stock pump for an MJ1200 and like that.

I also use an mj1200 for return pump. I love the mp10. I also recently added a jebao RW-4 and it is great because I can have it magnetically attached to the back of the tank and have random flow just like the mp10 pointed toward the front of the tank. with those two pumps I have very chaotic flow that I can see my corals love.

you have a beautiful tank btw :)

Archived