Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

T5 Odyessa Project (Now painted)

Kimosobey

I have a 40 gallon planted freshwater tank and I've been running a 36" odyssea fixture over it for a year now. It's only the two bulb version. My power went out last night and then this morning the light didn't want to turn on. I took apart the ballast and one of the capacitors was bulging a bit. I ended up just ordering a new ballast which was only $20-$30 shipped. I'm going to hit up RadioShack or something and see if I can replace the capacitor but it's not really worth the hassle. I was really tempted to get the four bulb version for my reef tank but I'm waiting to see how yours turns out first. haha. I was also really tempted to go with the 250 watt MH with the quad T5HO but I figured that would be just too much for such a small tank. Would probably need a chiller which is out of the question. I would love to get that fixture with the 4 T5HO and then a 150 watt MH though.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have that model. Got one of the ballasts wet and it burned part of the board to ash where a lead was but the lead still worked.

Oh dang! Did you end up tossing the light after that?

I have a 40 gallon planted freshwater tank and I've been running a 36" odyssea fixture over it for a year now. It's only the two bulb version. My power went out last night and then this morning the light didn't want to turn on. I took apart the ballast and one of the capacitors was bulging a bit. I ended up just ordering a new ballast which was only $20-$30 shipped. I'm going to hit up RadioShack or something and see if I can replace the capacitor but it's not really worth the hassle. I was really tempted to get the four bulb version for my reef tank but I'm waiting to see how yours turns out first. haha. I was also really tempted to go with the 250 watt MH with the quad T5HO but I figured that would be just too much for such a small tank. Would probably need a chiller which is out of the question. I would love to get that fixture with the 4 T5HO and then a 150 watt MH though.

See that's what I want to figure out if there is anything in the actual ballast I can replace like capacitors or any other little components to make it less likely to burn out. If ATI or any of the higher end bulb makers out there made 18" bulbs, I would totally be all over the Odyessa 18" MH/T5 (http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-Metal-Halide-MH-B-p/54242.htm)

Well on awpong's 20L it had a 150 watt with a 14k phoenix. Maybe the 24" older models had just the 150 watt instead of the 250 watt like they have today.

Oh dang! Did you end up tossing the light after that?

See that's what I want to figure out if there is anything in the actual ballast I can replace like capacitors or any other little components to make it less likely to burn out. If ATI or any of the higher end bulb makers out there made 18" bulbs, I would totally be all over the Odyessa 18" MH/T5 (http://www.aquatraders.com/Aquarium-Metal-Halide-MH-B-p/54242.htm)

Well on awpong's 20L it had a 150 watt with a 14k phoenix. Maybe the 24" older models had just the 150 watt instead of the 250 watt like they have today.

I agree, that would be perfect. I haven't really seen many MH fixtures since everyone is going to LED. I looked on MarineDepot and the cheapest is $499. One thing that I was wondering is that the Odyssea fixture with the 250 watt metal halide uses an external ballast. I'm wondering if one could toss in a 150 watt bulb and then simply replace the 250 watt ballast with a 150 watt ballast and it would work just fine.

Nah we kept using it. Still worked somehow.

Did you just get a replacement ballast from AquaTraders or get something else?

The ballast just kept working. Darnedest thing. Clearly had part of the lead floating in the air but still worked.

It's been set aside for now.

As far as the halide/t5 models are concerned I suggest remote mounting the t5 ballasts or retrofitting fans in the fixture where they're stored in the fixture. It took a while (~1 year) but my dad's 4*48" t5ho/ 2*250W mh fixture suffered the ballasts cooking. The LEDs didn't even last a week.

Jackal_Knight

I have that same model one of the ballast went out on me in 3 months. I rewired the fixture with some workhorse ballast. Rewire was fairly simple after that the light has been great. I'm following along to see how this turns out

I have that same model one of the ballast went out on me in 3 months. I rewired the fixture with some workhorse ballast. Rewire was fairly simple after that the light has been great. I'm following along to see how this turns out

Thanks for the input! What all did you use to rewire? Ballasts seem to range anything from $30 to $150. So it was something like this? http://horse.fulham.com/product-systems/fluorescent-systems/ballasts/workhorse-ballasts/high-efficiency-and-program-start-ballasts/

Man I don't even know where to start :o

http://www.lightingsupply.com/electronic-fulham-workhorse-ballasts.aspx

Jackal_Knight

I believe I used workhorse 3 T5 ballast from Pegasus lighting

Here found a the ones I got

http://www.pegasuslighting.com/electronic-fluorescent-ballast-fulham-workhorse-wh3120l.html

I used the original wiring so It looks all original. Just the new ballast didn't fit in the old housing so I had to mod that.

They come with a wiring diagram just use that. If you need any help feel free to pm me

I believe I used workhorse 3 T5 ballast from Pegasus lighting

Here found a the ones I got

http://www.pegasuslighting.com/electronic-fluorescent-ballast-fulham-workhorse-wh3120l.html

I used the original wiring so It looks all original. Just the new ballast didn't fit in the old housing so I had to mod that.

They come with a wiring diagram just use that. If you need any help feel free to pm me

So if I'm reading this correctly, each one of those will run two 24 watt T5HO bulbs? All of this sounds great but I feel like by the end of it, the only thing left will be the frame of the original fixture. Reflectors cost $50 (Aquatic Life ones) or $70 (ATI), ATI bulbs are about $20 each so $80 there, and ballasts are another $45. Add the $63 for the original fixture and you're looking at $238 or $258. I'm pretty sure I've seen some non-dimmable ATI fixtures for sale on this forum for under $300 and those include the built in timer I believe.

That's if the original ballast burns out. I'm going to run them until they die out. But now I know there is other options out there. This was more of a "let's see what happens" kind of light. With my upcoming build I was going to upgrade to a Nanobox hybrid down the line.

Here's a more in depth thread on the ballast. Not sure if it really pertains to the newer ballasts http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/265905-rr-odyssea-24-t5-ballast-with-fulham-ballast/

Jackal_Knight

So if I'm reading this correctly, each one of those will run two 24 watt T5HO bulbs? All of this sounds great but I feel like by the end of it, the only thing left will be the frame of the original fixture. Reflectors cost $50 (Aquatic Life ones) or $70 (ATI), ATI bulbs are about $20 each so $80 there, and ballasts are another $45. Add the $63 for the original fixture and you're looking at $238 or $258. I'm pretty sure I've seen some non-dimmable ATI fixtures for sale on this forum for under $300 and those include the built in timer I believe.

I get what your saying, when I bought mine I did not plan on replacing the ballast, and I ran the stock bulbs for a while. If I could do it again I would of just spent the money on something nicer. Also do new ati fixtures come with bulbs?

I get what your saying, when I bought mine I did not plan on replacing the ballast, and I ran the stock bulbs for a while. If I could do it again I would of just spent the money on something nicer. Also do new ati fixtures come with bulbs?

No idea but for the price they damn well should.

So when it comes to high out put reflectors they're basically all the same? So far i'm sticking with ATI's just cause i'll know what kind of quality to expect.

Cencalfishguy56

No they do not

Well they should, damn near have to give my leg away for a fixture then spend $100+ for bulbs

You're runnning t5's bro?

So when it comes to high out put reflectors they're basically all the same? So far i'm sticking with ATI's just cause i'll know what kind of quality to expect.

I don't think they're all the same and ATI are considered to be the best from what I've heard. I don't know exactly how much better they are though. The Aquatic Life ones I linked are only marginally cheaper but I think both would work just fine. I would probably go with the Aquatic Life ones since it's from Amazon and I know exactly what I'm getting. Would want to talk to someone if I were to buy the ATI ones from that other website. It doesn't have any sort of description other than the title.

Aquaticlife is crap compared to ATI. ATI uses analod miro-silver on their reflectors. The powermodules come with the highest grade which is 99% reflective and specular while the sunpower has a tiny bit lower grade at 97% and not as specular. You get what you pay for with anything other than the german/euro brands.

ATI, Giesemann, Pac Sun all come with programmed start ballasts with HEP on the ATI and Phillips Advance on the Giesemann and Pac Sun. Aquaticlife is workhorse instant start.

Jackal_Knight

You're runnning t5's bro?

I used to right now im running a FNI 150w MH. I have my T5s sitting around some where.

Are the reflectors gonna fit in the fixture I remember it being rather thin on the edges. Also what size tank is this going over? I remember this being to much light for my tank. I had mine 16in off the water.

Cencalfishguy56

I used to right now im running a FNI 150w MH. I have my T5s sitting around some where.

Are the reflectors gonna fit in the fixture I remember it being rather thin on the edges. Also what size tank is this going over? I remember this being to much light for my tank. I had mine 16in off the water.

Never used MH, I used T5 before switching to Kessil heard good and bad things about MH

Quick update. Painting done. Ordering reflectors friday. BUT I just ran into a problem :angry:

There is only 6" of space to put reflectors but most reflectors are 2"-2.5" wide :mellow: So I can only 3 will fit? f**k

IMG_2805_zpsy3evlcpk.jpg

IMG_2806_zpsoblxzlx2.jpg

IMG_2807_zpsv7nckz9c.jpg

IMG_2808_zps5cv6jcob.jpg

IMG_2809_zpsangklcxd.jpg

Archived