Cultivated Reef

My secret flower garden - New RFAs delivered today!

My tiny reef

Give them a try! I love mine and can't believe it took so long for me to discover them. They have it all...great colors and patterns, a good size a

nd add movement and life to your tank. Love them!

I don't know if I'll have any room in this tank now :( I've got a big rainbow bta and two green btas in a breeder box and another bta coming sometime this week haha

I'll just come admire yours then my tiny reef :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My tiny reef

I got some night time mood lighting for the nems and thinking about setting up a speaker with Marvin Gaye . Really hoping the green is a male because they look like a great little couple who could make pretty babies.

image_67.jpg

• 7 months later...
My tiny reef

Finally 7 months later we have spawning activity!

These 3 are now known males, first pic the red in the front is spawning though you can't see it well, the red in the background is female and green one is still unknown. Didn't gets great pictures of the other two last night but both spawned and are now identified male. So exciting!

image.jpg2_10.jpg

image_74.jpg

image.jpg5_3.jpg

My tiny reef

Another update, the green one is also male! So just one female currently to make baby nems. I looked in on them today and the female has tiny "things" (looks like eggs) moving around inside her disc and into some tentacles...I'm hoping this is some part of the breeding process. Anyone ever see this in a RFA before? Should I be excited or concerned!? Tons of them and the males don't have them.

image.jpg1_16.jpg

image.jpg2_11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! I just found this tank thread, never saw it before. Isn't it fun finding out who's female and male. I too saw babies under the fat lips of their mouth, could see under the membrane and yes, very cool. They are addicting and you want to grow them, not easy so far for me it wasn't, had premature babies, but I'll just keep plugging along and feed the adults more for stronger babies. I'm so excited everyone's enjoying rock flowers. I'll have to check Inlands. I hadn't yet. Do you know if they or Nemo's has any leathers? If so I may need to go for a day drive. Of course one day I want to get over to the race track and do one of those driving experiences where they drive you around, since I don't know stick and while I want to go fast, at the same time I don't think my own legs would let me do it.

cloakerpoked

If you contacted Inland through his facebook page, I'm sure he could tell you what he has. His rock anemones were top notch when I was there last weekend.

If you contacted Inland through his facebook page, I'm sure he could tell you what he has. His rock anemones were top notch when I was there last weekend.

Yeah, I just went to look at the FB to see the pretties.

My tiny reef

That's where all mine but one are from!

Ha! I just found this tank thread, never saw it before. Isn't it fun finding out who's female and male. I too saw babies under the fat lips of their mouth, could see under the membrane and yes, very cool. They are addicting and you want to grow them, not easy so far for me it wasn't, had premature babies, but I'll just keep plugging along and feed the adults more for stronger babies. I'm so excited everyone's enjoying rock flowers. I'll have to check Inlands. I hadn't yet. Do you know if they or Nemo's has any leathers? If so I may need to go for a day drive. Of course one day I want to get over to the race track and do one of those driving experiences where they drive you around, since I don't know stick and while I want to go fast, at the same time I don't think my own legs would let me do it.

. I don't think Inland has many leathers right now, unless you get one of the conbo rocks. Nemos usually has some but not always small frags, I see a lot of them in the $25-$45 tanks. I did snag a beautiful neon green cabbage leather for $10-15 a few weeks back. I need to go in for water this weekend so I'll try to pay attention and let you know.

That's where all mine but one are from!

. I don't think Inland has many leathers right now, unless you get one of the conbo rocks. Nemos usually has some but not always small frags, I see a lot of them in the $25-$45 tanks. I did snag a beautiful neon green cabbage leather for $10-15 a few weeks back. I need to go in for water this weekend so I'll try to pay attention and let you know.

Great, I mean even online you see leathers anywhere from $29-80 so even if I was paying the $25-$45 it'd be worth it by not having $40 for shipping. When I'm ready to add some leathers I'm going to first ask in our local club too. They seem to frag cheap. I got that green acid bta for $20. I thought he was joking, I offered more and he declined.

How fast does a 2 inch frag become a 4 inch nepthea, singularia, colt or kenya etc? Take a couple pics for me if you can. I asked on their FB page on the 12th if they had any and have had no response yet.

My tiny reef

Great, I mean even online you see leathers anywhere from $29-80 so even if I was paying the $25-$45 it'd be worth it by not having $40 for shipping. When I'm ready to add some leathers I'm going to first ask in our local club too. They seem to frag cheap. I got that green acid bta for $20. I thought he was joking, I offered more and he declined.

How fast does a 2 inch frag become a 4 inch nepthea, singularia, colt or kenya etc? Take a couple pics for me if you can. I asked on their FB page on the 12th if they had any and have had no response yet.

I don't know how fast leathers grow but I think they are supposed to be hardy and easy to grow. The cabbage leather is my first, but it has seemed happy and healthy for me so far even though I transferred my tank. I have been on the look out for a small toad stool leather as well. I love browsing the store and will be happy to take pictures and get prices!! Stay tuned!!
My tiny reef

Not many for sale. Just these marked not for sale, I asked a guy if they were going to frag them soon and he was going to find out. Then I left and forgot to get his answer or ask another person :/

image_22.jpeg

They had this combo rock for $100

image_24.jpeg

And this zoa rock with a small purple leather on the left side

image_23.jpeg

They had lots of shrooms, LPS, some montis and chalices.

My tiny reef

I've seen my female releasing babies, from what I can tell she is releasing a few (20-30) every couple of nights. I don't know if she just has too many or if she is unhappy about something else in the tank. I've tried to count but it's kind of like trying to count stars, best estimate is 115!! Has anyone had babies this small survive? They are settling under all of the nems and in shadier spots of the tank. They are protected from the filter and there is not a lot of flow so they aren't blowing around.

A large group under mama.

image.jpg5_5.jpg

One peeking out of another nems tentacles

ba7b490f-e06d-4677-85ba-9006e2cc9b34.jpg

Several taking shelter under a male

image.jpg6_3.jpg

Some babies still in mama, hope they stay in there and get a lot bigger than these other guys.

image.jpg7_1.jpg

I also found three in my display tank, I'm guessing they hitched a ride on the pipette when I was feeding even though I was trying to be very careful. Two have secured themselves to good spots on the rocks, the other is way under a rock not getting any light.

Not many for sale. Just these marked not for sale, I asked a guy if they were going to frag them soon and he was going to find out. Then I left and forgot to get his answer or ask another person :/

image_22.jpeg

They had this combo rock for $100

image_24.jpeg

And this zoa rock with a small purple leather on the left side

image_23.jpeg

They had lots of shrooms, LPS, some montis and chalices.

Those are great prices to me. Rock full of zoas and 2 leathers 100? Craziness.

I've had premature releasing after a water change even. Looked like betta pellets. Tons, only about 10 opened & they were super duper tiny, like the ball on the front of a pen w/ tentacles. Most disappeared so mine were too small and probably weak. With the cyano/dino in the tank I wasn't feeding the parents as well as trying to get that under control. Good luck! It's exciting just knowing the action is happening. But others seem to have babies as big as a pencil eraser. I was told feeding isn't important then but lights are so who knows.

My tiny reef

Those are great prices to me. Rock full of zoas and 2 leathers 100? Craziness.

Inland sells his combo rocks for $50-60 usually, or marks them down to that after a while in stock. He just posted pics of the ones he has now.

Ok, so those are even better prices. I may have to make a road trip to Inland and Nemos some time in the Spring. Getting the urge to drive outta town.

My tiny reef

Ok, so those are even better prices. I may have to make a road trip to Inland and Nemos some time in the Spring. Getting the urge to drive outta town.

There is another store Advanced Aquatic Pets in Belmont. I haven't been yet but they post some great pictures and good prices on Facebook (like $25 Colored RFA!). Depending on which way you come in they may be on your way.

https://m.facebook.com/Advanced-Aquatic-Pets-1561139597431801/

If you come into town let me know and maybe we can fish store hop together :)

There is another store Advanced Aquatic Pets in Belmont. I haven't been yet but they post some great pictures and good prices on Facebook (like $25 Colored RFA!). Depending on which way you come in they may be on your way.

https://m.facebook.com/Advanced-Aquatic-Pets-1561139597431801/

If you come into town let me know and maybe we can fish store hop together :)

Yeah that'd be fun. Google maps says 1 hr 42 mins by way of Columbus then heading east. So that's not bad at all. I'll have to check out their FB page.

My tiny reef

My nem is still having babies, last night she had to expel waste and more babies came out. It almost looks like she didn't want them to. Surprisingly this morning I can still see more babies inside her. She has already release probably 150 or more, this has been so Unbelievable to watch.

image_35.jpeg

Wow! Can't wait to see more pics of the babies. Haven't been to Advnced Aquatics since we live so close to Nemo's ... may have to visit. I think we should definitely get a NC group tour going.

My tiny reef

Wow! Can't wait to see more pics of the babies. Haven't been to Advnced Aquatics since we live so close to Nemo's ... may have to visit. I think we should definitely get a NC group tour going.

I haven't been yet either since it's so far, but I'm off work this week for spring break so I may ride over one day this week to check them out. Nemos is my closest LFS too and Inland reef is on my home from work and he has the best RFAs SoI go there pretty frequently too.

My tiny reef

I just don't know how many more babies this girl can have!! Caught her on video tonight.

This is her by the end of tonight, I actually feel really bad for her like this is draining her physically.

image_37.jpeg

Very cool, I learned something new today. I didn't know there was male and female nems. I just kind of assumed they was A sexual.

Archived