ReefCleaners.org

My secret flower garden - New RFAs delivered today!

My tiny reef

My tiny reef

I've been thinking about and planning to convert part of my 10 gallon pod tank into a rock flower anemone breeding tank for a while now. Ever since my red rock flower had babies in my display tank and I was unable to find or reach to feed all of them, I've wanted to have more babies and be able to help them survive. I have one strong survivor that eats well daily and is growing well. I'm calling this "my secret flower garden" because it is under a cabinet where no one can see. I contemplated moving it so I could see it more often because it seems a shame to hide beautiful RFAs, but I have decided to keep it where it is for now for a few reason. 1. It will not get any extra lighting so hopefully will prevent unwanted algae & 2. It doesn't have to be pretty, I can build it and safety proof it for the baby nems. Today I took the first steps at converting. I pulled out the crushed coral from the front two thirds of the tank, put in a screen divider and refilled the front 2/3s with black Hawaiian sand. I have a few pieces of live rock that have been in for the pods and some rubble I've remove from my display. I plan to get another 2-3 small rocks but will not build up any sort of rock structure. The idea is to not leave a cave or area that babies could hide from feedings. The back 1/3 is an in tank refugium with chaeto, heater, and hang on filter, the idea is to keep the babies out of the filter or tangled in the chaeto with the screen divider separating them. I also have a power head in the front part of the tank where the RFAS will be but plan to cover it with mesh so the babies can't wander in and get chopped. I ordered a PAR 38 bulb but sounds like while it may support them, it's not the best option. I hope to upgrade that to a coral compulsion light soon. I leave for vacation on Saturday so nothing will go in until afterwards. I'm undecided about a clean up crew. I don't want anything that will churn up the sand too much and bury baby any babies. I'm thinking some small snails or taking some of my stomatellas from my display and putting in there. One already hitchhiked in on a rock. Any other suggestions? Here's a full tank shot, sorry the sand is still settling. Can't wait to get some nems in here!!

image_51.jpg

image_50.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm eyeing my freshwater 10 gallon and thinking the same thing... So what would be light wise in order to breed these guys? Also, for feedings, would just frozen mysis and stuff like that work?

My tiny reef

I'm eyeing my freshwater 10 gallon and thinking the same thing... So what would be light wise in order to breed these guys? Also, for feedings, would just frozen mysis and stuff like that work?

I'm no expert on lighting or RFAs by any stretch of the imagination but have been reading like crazy about them for weeks. I've seen some sites/sellers say they need high light but every article and forum post I read say they prefer lower light, like bottom of the tank or vertical over hangs. As for feedings, mine will definitely catch some mysis or cyclopeez when I feed the tank but I also spot feed her a tiny ( about the size of her mouth) piece of shrimp or scallop 1-2 times a week. I want to start a better variety, like they would get in the ocean, I've heard LPS coral pellets are used and silver sides. In this tank I want to try to carefully spot feed so there is not a lot of excess floating around in the tank.

HarryPotter

I'm no expert on lighting or RFAs by any stretch of the imagination but have been reading like crazy about them for weeks. I've seen some sites/sellers say they need high light but every article and forum post I read say they prefer lower light, like bottom of the tank or vertical over hangs. As for feedings, mine will definitely catch some mysis or cyclopeez when I feed the tank but I also spot feed her a tiny ( about the size of her mouth) piece of shrimp or scallop 1-2 times a week. I want to start a better variety, like they would get in the ocean, I've heard LPS coral pellets are used and silver sides. In this tank I want to try to carefully spot feed so there is not a lot of excess floating around in the tank.

All four I've placed immediately sought lower light. One currently is vertical, another right above the sand, and the two other (In another tank) low mid.

Never sit horizontally in my expierience

My tiny reef

All four I've placed immediately sought lower light. One currently is vertical, another right above the sand, and the two other (In another tank) low mid.

Never sit horizontally in my expierience

I think it depends on the nem and the lighting. What lighting do you have? I have 10k power compact and mine sat happily at the bottom for 4-5 weeks then went on a walk and worked her way to the top. It was pretty incredible actually. I thought she was heading for lower lighting (after I got new bulbs in the hood) but she went to the back and did a pull up through a small hole to the top rock and has stayed there for weeks now.

Finding the hole

image.jpg1_9.jpg

Taking hold and pulling up

image.jpg2_5.jpg

Letting go of the foothold

image.jpg3_3.jpg

HarryPotter

I think it depends on the nem and the lighting. What lighting do you have? I have 10k power compact and mine sat happily at the bottom for 4-5 weeks then went on a walk and worked her way to the top. It was pretty incredible actually. I thought she was heading for lower lighting (after I got new bulbs in the hood) but she went to the back and did a pull up through a small hole to the top rock and has stayed there for weeks now.

Finding the hole

[Pictures]

Taking hold and pulling up

Letting go of the foothold

I have a Radion XR30w Pro omgomgomg , might just be that. They stay low since I'm blasting them with light?

My tiny reef

I have a Radion XR30w Pro omgomgomg , might just be that. They stay low since I'm blasting them with light?

Haha! Maybe! Give them some sunscreen and maybe they will stay out longer!

My tiny reef

Went to pick up some supplies today and found out there is a large shipment of RFAs coming in next week. We are out of town until the 27th, hopefully there will be some good ones there when I get back!

• 3 weeks later...
My tiny reef

Exciting day! I picked up 3 nems for the tank. I had been debating on if I should move my RFA from my display to this tank and decided I would only if she started walking around again, which she did last weekend. I think it's a good thing since I know she is a female, hopefully at least 1 of the 3 I got today is a male. Here's pictures of them just after going in, they looked larger in the store so I'll have to update pictures after they settle in a bit more and open up fully.

image_55.jpg

image_53.jpg

image_54.jpg

My tiny reef

I'm no expert, but going off what others on here who have posted and what I've read on other sites they can spawn 2-4 times a year. Here's hoping!!

thecoralbeauty

I'm no expert, but going off what others on here who have posted and what I've read on other sites they can spawn 2-4 times a year. Here's hoping!!

FlowerMama would know!

My tiny reef

Where did you get those beauties? VIP reef?

Nope, got them local at The Inland Reef. I need to take a picture of his display tank next time I go, it is RFA dominant and beautiful. He has a good source for RFAs so gets them in pretty frequently and has great prices, only $60 for all three.

My tiny reef

Two more from my other LFS, a pink one and red baby with a purple mouth. Excited to see the growth rate for the little one. Done for a while although I did see VIP reef has some on their website now which is very tempting.

image_57.jpg

image_56.jpg

My tiny reef

Nems seem to be settling in nicely. A few have moved and they have all expanded a good deal since first going in the tank. The pink one and the baby haven't seemed interested in taking food yet but the other three have eaten. I think the green one and new red are spawning size, similar to my original red. Pink and zebra are close but not sure, they measure a little over 2 1/2 inches...thoughts on that?

Updated pics showing expansion size.

Red one - similar to my original but has a pretty neon mouth

image_62.jpg

Zebra - with the blue lights there is a little fluorescence around the tentacles and you can see it on the mouth.

image_63.jpg

pinky mooning me

image_64.jpg

Baby looking bigger than I thought it was

image_65.jpg

Green one, hoping it's a male since it's right by my known female...hopefully the proximity would have a very successful spawning.

image_66.jpg

My tiny reef

Also, has anyone had success with the staring at and telepathically trying to command RFAs to spawn methodology??? Or am I just wasting my time?

Lol I wish I could figure out why mine have spawned. I'm trying not to change anything As I need some more. Still have a good 30 or more babies that I can count In My tank

My tiny reef

Lol I wish I could figure out why mine have spawned. I'm trying not to change anything As I need some more. Still have a good 30 or more babies that I can count In My tank

If you figure it out let me know! And if you ever want to rid your tank of a few put me down as the first on the list of takers :)

Nems seem to be settling in nicely. A few have moved and they have all expanded a good deal since first going in the tank. The pink one and the baby haven't seemed interested in taking food yet but the other three have eaten. I think the green one and new red are spawning size, similar to my original red. Pink and zebra are close but not sure, they measure a little over 2 1/2 inches...thoughts on that?

Updated pics showing expansion size.

Red one - similar to my original but has a pretty neon mouthimage_62.jpg

Zebra - with the blue lights there is a little fluorescence around the tentacles and you can see it on the mouth.image_63.jpg

pinky mooning meimage_64.jpg

Baby looking bigger than I thought it wasimage_65.jpg

Green one, hoping it's a male since it's right by my known female...hopefully the proximity would have a very successful spawning.oil MN mklk MN vkiiij Jul I needunless oookimage_66.jpg

Them nems be way nice looking,I've never kept rfa but they are quite the firework display it seems :)

Nope, got them local at The Inland Reef. I need to take a picture of his display tank next time I go, it is RFA dominant and beautiful. He has a good source for RFAs so gets them in pretty frequently and has great prices, only $60 for all three.

Wow! Does he sell online?

My tiny reef

Wow! Does he sell online?

I'm not sure if he does yet but he plans to. He posted this not too long ago to the store's Facebook page http://theinlandreef.com/home/2110831 but I don't see where he has any WYSIWYG online yet. You can find him on facebook (the inland reef) and message him to see if he would. Very friendly, very helpful and always healthy specimens from him. I'm hoping he gets some ultras in soon, he usually sells them around $60-65 he says. Reds are usually $30-40, greens $20 and zebra/browns $10.

I'm not sure if he does yet but he plans to. He posted this not too long ago to the store's Facebook page http://theinlandreef.com/home/2110831 but I don't see where he has any WYSIWYG online yet. You can find him on facebook (the inland reef) and message him to see if he would. Very friendly, very helpful and always healthy specimens from him. I'm hoping he gets some ultras in soon, he usually sells them around $60-65 he says. Reds are usually $30-40, greens $20 and zebra/browns $10.

Awesome! Thank you!!!!

My tiny reef

Them nems be way nice looking,I've never kept rfa but they are quite the firework display it seems :)

Give them a try! I love mine and can't believe it took so long for me to discover them. They have it all...great colors and patterns, a good size and add movement and life to your tank. Love them!

Archived