Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

14 Gallon Bio-Cube need help, I am a Complete NOOB

SarasotaNanoReefGuy941

SarasotaNanoReefGuy941

Hello to everyone in the community, I just recently purchased a 14 Gallon Bio-Cube off a friend for a deal that was to good to pass up, it was sitting a while in a barn and needs a little cleaning, which I dont mind getting dirty, my question is I want to go rimless and am going to build my own DYI L.E.D Light, my question is what type L.E.D'S do I need? how many? and what sequence do I put the on my setup? I have been looking at these: http://www.hero-ledstore.com/heroled-3w-led-c-2_174.html?zenid=7433lfl0pig0ukuvl08ma38360

any input would be extremely helpful

I will definitely have more questions in the future due to the fact I am not setting it up till I have everything I need, I want it to be perfect and learn as I go so any advice for a noob on all questions would be helpful!

Thank you in advance!!

Not sure if Dave @ NanoBox still sells his led arrays separate but you could just get one of his arrays and put it together your self in your own housing. Or just get one of his small retrofits that are designed to bolt right up to a BioCube. I have one on my 15g and I couldn't be happier. You will be able to keep any coral you want under them and the color is perfect. And paired with a bluefish mini controller it is the perfect setup IMO.

look under the "lighting" board on this forum in the sticky's there's a 3 threads that will answer all your questions.

You can look up Dave's LED set ups, Steve T's LEDS, Rapid LEDS and that is all I can remember right now. People either go Cree, Luxeon or a combo of both. Some have even gone to Ebay and bought a cheap LED fixture from China with great success. There is tons of info on here about these.

Good luck with whichever build you decide to go with.

SarasotaNanoReefGuy941

Thank all of you guys so much I have alot to learn and figured I would ask here first

I could be wrong....but I think Dave sells retrofit kits for AIO's like yours. nanoboxreef.com is his website..but if you e-mail or PM him he could give you a better idea of what you need. I have three of his lights...

Cant go wrong with nanobox.

Do you plan on cutting off the trim of the Biocube to go "Rimless" and Discarding the hood altogether?

I Did just that and have 2 Par 38 lights over it. They are some cheap custom par38 from Aliexpress but do the job just right.....

The main reason I suggested Daves arrays is because when I was researching the retrofit for my hood I I saw a few threads saying they had a disco effect from some of the other DIY kits where they are single LEDs side by side. Daves LEDs are clustered in a tight group. I have never had any of this with my light retro from him even with lots of surface agitation. Not sure if it's the way the other LEDs are spaced or if it has to do with lens or no lens though.

SarasotaNanoReefGuy941

awesome, thanks guys I appreciate everything, the main thing i was looking for is how many leds should I buy what kind and colors and whats pattern should I set them up in

SarasotaNanoReefGuy941

and yes JmeJ I plan on going rimless I just feal really overwhelmed with the process but I will resurrect this beuty and share the process as it come together over the next months

Archived