Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

wenhamjj 28 gallon JBJ Nano Cube

wenhamjj

After having a 12 gallon Nano Cube for quite some time and with the interest my 12 year old daughter has taken in reef tanks I have started up a new 28 gallon JBJ nano cube with intermediate LED lighting. The tank has been up and running now for 1 month and so far so good. This will be for the most part a stock run tank for the time being unless I see a mod I just got to have. Here is a list of the equipment:

Equipment:

28 gallon nano cube w/intermediate LED lighting

Stock media basket running floss on top, carbon 2nd, and a bag of purigen in the 3rd chamber

100 watt Eheim Jager heater

Stock return pumps

Stock wave maker alternating every 3 minutes

1 Koralia Nano 425 circulation pump

20 lbs of live sand

24 lbs of live rock

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Stock cheepo stand - (but cool looking)

RO/DI water from my LFS and using distilled for top off

Maintenance schedule:

change out filter floss 2x a week (Wednesday/Sunday)

5 gallon water change 1x week (Sunday)

Blow out sump/filter/rock with turkey baster before water change

vacuum sand during water change

test water parameters before water change

That's basically it. I am gathering up some pics and will post as well as describe my cycle.

Hope you all enjoy following along as this tank comes to life !!

reefernanoman

After having a 12 gallon Nano Cube for quite some time and with the interest my 12 year old daughter has taken in reef tanks I have started up a new 28 gallon JBJ nano cube with intermediate LED lighting. The tank has been up and running now for 1 month and so far so good. This will be for the most part a stock run tank for the time being unless I see a mod I just got to have. Here is a list of the equipment:

Equipment:

28 gallon nano cube w/intermediate LED lighting

Stock media basket running floss on top, carbon 2nd, and a bag of purigen in the 3rd chamber

Stock return pumps

20 lbs of live sand

24 lbs of live rock

Maintenance schedule:

change out filter floss 2x a week (Wednesday/Sunday)

5 gallon water change 1x week (Sunday)

Blow out sump/filter/rock with turkey baster before water change

vacuum sand during water change

test water parameters before water change

That's basically it. I am gathering up some pics and will post as well as describe my cycle.

Hope you all enjoy following along as this tank comes to life !!

Sounds good. Check out my nanocube 28g in my signature. Following.

Here are a few pics as promised.

DAY 1 - May 2015

day1_zps3kussilb.jpg

DAY 4

cycle_day4_zpsux1sy2en.jpg

All cleared up. I changed the top a little from day 1.

20150523_162519_zpsxvohwl3j.jpg

Bring on the diatoms .....

diatoms_zpsujz97mwx.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

FTS July 2015

FTS_July_2015_zpses9vupf9.jpg

Tank is finally settling in after my GHA which was everywhere then a cyano outbreak. I did a Chemiclean treatment following the directions to the letter and its all gone and Im not seeing any signs of it coming back yet, but its only been 2 1/2 weeks since doing it. My latest additions were a Derasa clam which is going great and I glued a GSP frag on my back wall. All the corals are showing growth and my ric now has 2 mouths so I hope it will soon be splitting. Still waiting to see a new head pop on my hammer but I have only had it for 1 month.

Still researching what to put on the top shelf and the lower shelf. Right now all I have on top is a Green Birdsnest and in the back behind the shelf a neon green leather which you cant see in this pic. I plan on having all zoa's on the arch to the cave. Thinking about all rics on bottom shelf or some type of encrusting coral.

HarryPotter

Still researching what to put on the top shelf and the lower shelf. Right now all I have on top is a Green Birdsnest and in the back behind the shelf a neon green leather which you cant see in this pic. I plan on having all zoa's on the arch to the cave. Thinking about all rics on bottom shelf or some type of encrusting coral.

Lower shelf would look incredible with Ricordias or high end Zoas :)

Adding a few shots from my tank.

pajcard_zpsmdkw7o6x.jpg

8320db8e-aa5f-4bc6-b7d9-c60c8ffc53b8_zps

Believe it or not but I picked up this derasa for 38.00 bucks a few weeks back.

Just a little update, after 3 weeks now from treating with ChemiClean on my cyano still no signs of it returning. I think I had quite a bit of die off on my rock I got which caused it so early on. I feed daily sparingly RODS original blend and all the residents love it. I never made a list of what I have so far so wanted to share that with you all.

Fish/Inverts

1 - small (1" long) sixline wrasse

2 - Clowns which I have had for over 3 years now. I moved them over from my 12 gallon cube

1 - Yellow Clown Goby (love that fish)

1 - Pajama Cardinal

3 - Mexican Turbo snails (needed them in the beginning to mow the lawn)

3 - Nassarius Snail (come out of the sandbed like a surfacing submarine when feeding the fish)

3 - Nerrite Snails

12 - Blue Leg Hermits

4 - Red Leg Hermits

1 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (2nd one as the first one only lasted 2 days. Noticed it was missing half a leg and not very peppy after getting it. Molted the next day then died within the hour. New shrimp molted after a week and is doing great. I like to hand feed it sometimes.)

1 - 4" Derasa Clam. Never had a clam B4 and so far so good.

Corals

Orange Hammer

ORA Green Birdsnest

Neon Green Button Polyps

Redish/Salmon colored zoa's (LFS gave it to me for free on fathers day) # of heads have doubled since I got it

Rasta Zoa - 2 heads has turned into 4 in one month

Red Mont Cap

Pipe Organ frag

Green Favia with slight yellow center

Green Toadstool Leather

Orange RIC which is in the process of splitting

GSP frag (glued it to my back wall)

That's what I have so far. Think Im going to pick up a frag of some red with black skirt paly today. I will post a shot if I get em.

Nice scape here :) the cave is way aweome

Thank you very much.

Just a little update, after 3 weeks now from treating with ChemiClean on my cyano still no signs of it returning. I think I had quite a bit of die off on my rock I got which caused it so early on. I feed daily sparingly RODS original blend and all the residents love it. I never made a list of what I have so far so wanted to share that with you all.

Fish/Inverts

1 - small (1" long) sixline wrasse

2 - Clowns which I have had for over 3 years now. I moved them over from my 12 gallon cube

1 - Yellow Clown Goby (love that fish)

1 - Pajama Cardinal

3 - Mexican Turbo snails (needed them in the beginning to mow the lawn)

3 - Nassarius Snail (come out of the sandbed like a surfacing submarine when feeding the fish)

3 - Nerrite Snails

12 - Blue Leg Hermits

4 - Red Leg Hermits

1 - Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (2nd one as the first one only lasted 2 days. Noticed it was missing half a leg and not very peppy after getting it. Molted the next day then died within the hour. New shrimp molted after a week and is doing great. I like to hand feed it sometimes.)

1 - 4" Derasa Clam. Never had a clam B4 and so far so good.

Corals

Orange Hammer

ORA Green Birdsnest

Neon Green Button Polyps

Redish/Salmon colored zoa's (LFS gave it to me for free on fathers day) # of heads have doubled since I got it

Rasta Zoa - 2 heads has turned into 4 in one month

Red Mont Cap

Pipe Organ frag

Green Favia with slight yellow center

Green Toadstool Leather

Orange RIC which is in the process of splitting

GSP frag (glued it to my back wall)

That's what I have so far. Think Im going to pick up a frag of some red with black skirt paly today. I will post a shot if I get em.

Thank you very much.

Absolutely.

Here is a shot I wanted to post for all the people going thru a GHA outbreak. My mexican turbos had a "FIESTA" munching on it. That, a toothbrush, and patience took care of it. Took about 3 weeks to get to where I am today. So, if you have GHA now dont give up and be patient.

GHA_outbreak_zpsd5agkszl.jpg

My favorite fish to watch. Meet "Goobie" My daughter says that he has no personal space zone. LOL

goobie_zpspaq47hyp.jpg

• 4 months later...

Havent posted any updates in some time. I am now about 7 months in and here is how it is looking today.

2015-12-11_TANK_WEB_zpslinjhm6e.jpg

I have had a few casualties since posting last. I lost my clam all of the sudden one week. It was doing awesome (or so I thought) then one day the intake on the clam was starting to almost turn inwards. It stayed like that for a few days. Also at that time the colors on it seemed very dark and it wasn't opening as wide as it did. Came home from work one day to see the mantle totally detached from the shell. I really liked the clam so that was sad. I may try another some day but not sure. My clown goby also passed and not sure why. Other than that all others are still doing well.

If you look back at my older pics you can really see the growth on the birdsnest and monti caps. My green toadstool leather is growing but not very fast. All my zoa's are growing new heads weekly. Last night I added a rock flower anemone which you can see under the torch. So far it is doing well and has not moved from the spot I originally placed it. I am still totally running stock and haven't done any mods.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would post some more recent pics I took. Tank is now at 7 1/2 months. Still have to harvest my bubble algae with tweezers. I am doing this weekly picking all I can see. By doing this it has decreased its population greatly. Hopefully one day it will all be gone. I also just did a moonlight DIY mod as the stock moonlights are very weak. Now I can see the corals in all their glory when the lights go out. Hope you all had a Merry Christmas.

These Monti Caps have quadrupled in size since I put them in. I love the way they look.

monticaps_12_15_zps6hxcbrod.jpg

New Orange Zoas I picked up.

orange%20zoas_zpserkrdhpi.jpg

FTS with the daylights on

FTS_12_15_DAY_zpsmxsrs3w5.jpg

FTS with my DIY moonlight MOD

FTS-12_25_15_front_zpsoktjq1ur.jpg

another with the blues on

FTS_12_25_15_zpszzq5jorf.jpg

Forgot to update my equipment list. After all these years with my 12g cube and now my 28g cube I have come to the end of having to haul 5 gallon buckets around every 2 or 3 weeks to go and buy RODI water from my LFS. On Tuesday, my Spectrapure 90 gpd 4 stage RO/DI unit arrives. I'm going to hook it up in the laundry room like it seems many do. I figure this will also reduce my impulse buys when I go to buy water. LOL.

Equipment:
28 gallon nano cube w/intermediate LED lighting with DIY moonlight mod
Stock return pumps
20 lbs of live sand
24 lbs of live rock

Spectrapure 90 gpd 4 stage RO/DI unit

• 2 months later...

Archived