Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

oxygen starvation probability

jambon

Hello people.... I have a Bio cube 14 set up as a hospital / quarantine tank. I am using the bio balls that came with. I have been losing fish almost as fast as I put them in,honestly a damsel lasted less than 3 hrs.! Parameters are all good 78 ish. 1025 ish. I noticed my rear compartment that hold the balls I was running my water level over the top of the balls. Could this have caused in some way a depletion of my oxygen and suffocated the fish? It does have a maximum and minimum line on the side of the tank.in the meantime I just ripped them out of there.... I had an 8 gal bio cube set up for years without the bio balls and no issues whatsoever .

Doubtful. The bacteria there won't likely use that much oxygen that quickly - not without seeing the water get cloudy or anything. Besides, you have enough water movement to allow for oxygenation of the water overall. Maybe add another powerhead to keep circulation even higher, just in case, but I doubt that's your issue. What are your ammonia and nitrate levels?

Did you have sick fish at all in the QT tank before you used it for the recent fish that have been dying? If you did - did you use the same bioballs? If that's the case, the bioballs might be contaminated and be killing your fish.

For a QT, just toss the bioballs, throw some PVC pieces in the tank to allow for the new fish to hide, run a heater and some filter floss.

+1^ Tibbs

I was going to ask if you bought it new or used. Previous owner could have used wrong Silicone to reseal it or many other things if bought used.

Archived