Top Shelf Aquatics

NC - Looking for birds nest and digi frags!

VW_TDI_02

Haha, that would have been disappointing if i went tomorrow/today. Did not expect a response so fast considering it is 2:30am. I will certainly have to go and see what they have to plan out my next tank in more detail. I will hopefully have my Mr aqua 22g long wet by the end of next week. Ill be finished building the stand tonight hopefully, including the painting. Nano box will be in tomorrow, and Last random nick nacks Friday. The fish room has not had very much to choose from, so I am excited to check the reef farm out.

Thanks again for the info!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haha, that would have been disappointing if i went tomorrow/today. Did not expect a response so fast considering it is 2:30am. I will certainly have to go and see what they have to plan out my next tank in more detail. I will hopefully have my Mr aqua 22g long wet by the end of next week. Ill be finished building the stand tonight hopefully, including the painting. Nano box will be in tomorrow, and Last random nick nacks Friday. The fish room has not had very much to choose from, so I am excited to check the reef farm out.

Thanks again for the info!

I used to go to the fish room but after going to the fish farm, I will probably not go back there. The corals are very expensive and they have a poor selection. The fish room definitely carries more fish and fish farm is more for corals. I definitely wanted to get a NanoBox Duo for my 20 long but it's just too much for me. I currently have a Current Orbit Marine but I just bought a 2 bulb T5HO fixture that I got off of here. With that, I should be able to grow anything.

I used to go to the fish room but after going to the fish farm, I will probably not go back there. The corals are very expensive and they have a poor selection. The fish room definitely carries more fish and fish farm is more for corals. I definitely wanted to get a NanoBox Duo for my 20 long but it's just too much for me. I currently have a Current Orbit Marine but I just bought a 2 bulb T5HO fixture that I got off of here. With that, I should be able to grow anything.

The fish room is a coral cemetery..... I was about to call animal control and report abuse.......

Went to the visit the reef farm, I was very impressed. I will most likely be purchasing all the corals from them for my new build.

Went to the visit the reef farm, I was very impressed. I will most likely be purchasing all the corals from them for my new build.

I'm glad you liked it. Since I bought those SPS corals and then the new light, it's time to save for a little while:/

• 3 weeks later...

I'm back at it and I'm looking for some new branching SPS corals. I currently have a red planet acro, pink birdsnest, and a couple of monti caps. Specifically I'm looking for more birdsnest but of a different color and some other cheap acros. For acros, $20 a frag is about all I want to spend. I'm not looking for some collector pieces, just some more stuff to fill in my tank like usual. If you have something that I may be interested in then please post or mail me with the name of the frag and how much you want for it. I think I'm heading to the reef farm tomorrow in order to pick up some more frags as well. I'd also be interested in some smaller LPS frags such as duncans or candy canes (already have a green one).

Just bought three more corals from the Reef Farm and they're doing great. Got an orange digi, a blue digi, and a blue acro. Still willing to buy from other users as well though.

You guys that live closer to the reef farm are lucky.

I live in Gastonia and have to go to Matthews (Nemo's Reef) or Huntersville (Upscale Aquatics) for a good LFS.

The one here in Gastonia (Wet Pets) is awful and the owner is an ass. They're so bad I was jumping with joy that a new Petco opened up basically next door to them. It helps that the people in my Petco are always willing to learn and very friendly.

I live in Gastonia and have to go to Matthews (Nemo's Reef) or Huntersville (Upscale Aquatics) for a good LFS.

The one here in Gastonia (Wet Pets) is awful and the owner is an ass. They're so bad I was jumping with joy that a new Petco opened up basically next door to them. It helps that the people in my Petco are always willing to learn and very friendly.

Yea, it's a great place. Very knowledgeable and helpful. I used to live in Matthews back when Nemo's Reef had just moved and opened up their new store. It looked great but back then I only had two freshwater tanks. I tried getting them to order some freshwater cichlids for me and at first they said they would and then after a few weeks of nothing they ended up saying that they wouldn't be able to.

Check out Inland Reef in Midland. Micheal is owner operator and is very knowledgeable, his prices aren't bad but his fish selection isn't very good since it is a small shop. 546, Hwy 24/27, West Midland, NC 28107

Yeah they're not so good with the freshwater. But that's what Upscale is for. Gonna get pea puffers from them when I get my spec v up and running.

There's also a place called aquatica in Charlotte but they're snack in the money so prices are steep. Like $90+ for a rock flower been steep.

Check out Inland Reef in Midland. Micheal is owner operator and is very knowledgeable, his prices aren't bad but his fish selection isn't very good since it is a small shop. 546, Hwy 24/27, West Midland, NC 28107

I'll have to check that out.

I also know a new LFS should be popping up in hickory. My bro know the owners son. Don't know the name yet though.

After these stories, I really do consider myself lucky. The road that the Reef Farm is on, ends up going right behind my house, it eventually turns into Pocomoke rd. I am no farther then 8-10 minutes away. Only thing I go to the fish room for now is RO/DI water until I get my own unit.

VW_TDI_02, next time you are in the area, hit my up if you want a golf ball size piece of Blue Ochtodes (Macro).

After these stories, I really do consider myself lucky. The road that the Reef Farm is on, ends up going right behind my house, it eventually turns into Pocomoke rd. I am no farther then 8-10 minutes away. Only thing I go to the fish room for now is RO/DI water until I get my own unit.

VW_TDI_02, next time you are in the area, hit my up if you want a golf ball size piece of Blue Ochtodes (Macro).

Yea, it's about a 45 minute drive each way from Carrboro and that's without any traffic. Thanks for the offer as well. The people there are really helpful. Oh, and here are some pictures of the three frags I picked up a few days ago. I got a blue digi, an orange digi, and a blue acro.

20150801_163901.jpg

Orange Digi

20150801_163909.jpg

20150801_163941.jpg

Blue Digi

20150801_163916.jpg

20150801_163937.jpg

Blue Acro

20150801_163923.jpg

20150801_163959.jpg

Those all look great! Making me jealous. I cannot wait until my tank is ready to support corals. I planned for the mini cycle and I succeeded. Good junks of live rock along with live sand = success. Ordered a clean up crew that will be here Wed. I will probably receive way more then I need and have to find homes for the extras.

Thanks! I'm loving the growth on these corals. 36 watt PAR bulb with 60 degree optics puts out some serious light. Would love to get a par reading on it but nothing to measure with. The only issue I have with it is the color spectrum on it. It has a 2:1 ratio of whites to blue so the corals don't really have much of a pop. The light is also pretty low so the 60 degree optics prevent the colors from blending as well as I would like. Unfortunately the bulbs like this that have better color are like $80.

Glad everything is working out with your corals!

Thanks! The birdsnest has completely taken off, the red planet has encrusted over about half of the plug and it's a bigger plug at about an inch and a half in diameter. Now I just want more frags... A different color birdsnest other than pink is one coral I would love to have.

Bump. Still looking for some branching SPS corals. Would really like to get a green birdsnest. Well, any color birdsnest other than pink.

Bump. I bought even more frags locally but I'm still looking for one elusive frag. If anyone local happens to have a birdsnest frag that is not pink (any other color will do) then I'll definitely take it off your hands.

After reading this thread we visited Upscale Aquatics yesterday. Very disappointed in the condition of the tanks and livestock - cyano, algae, dirty water, and a starving goby. Was really hoping to support another LFS but will stick with Nemo's.

After reading this thread we visited Upscale Aquatics yesterday. Very disappointed in the condition of the tanks and livestock - cyano, algae, dirty water, and a starving goby. Was really hoping to support another LFS but will stick with Nemo's.

Sorry to hear that. I've never been since I don't live in Charlotte any more. I've only bought corals from the Reef Farm and so far all of those have done very well and the people who work there are fantastic.

Archived