Cultivated Reef

Rules of flow? Sump Return VS circulation?

rlugo29

What are the rules of thumb for flow from a circ pump VS from a return? Is it a percentage or are there other factors involved?

I'm looking at doing either a 20l with a 10g sump or a 40b with a 20l sump.

HarryPotter

Also depends on your content. The return can be the max of the overflow, and the circulation pumps just supplement it and get detritus into the water column

With a sumped setup I prefer to have the return pump I prefer to have the flow rate matched to skimmer/ATS flow rates in order to ensure better filtration contact time.

The circ pump display should be chosen based on livestock and situated to prevent dead spots and livestock happiness.

NorthGaHillbilly

I've been all over the map, but now prefer to stick to the tried and true ~10x turn over for return and make up the rest with a PH

righttirefire

As per my reading like 5-10 times turn over volume for the sump. Personal I run a 20 long display with a 20 gallon tall sump. I have an ehiem 317 gph pump about 200 gph with head lose. And an mp10 at 33% short pulse. Longest pulse... so... maybe that helps?

Yes, 5-10 times turn over volume for the sump was the info I was looking for. Thanks!!

With a sumped setup I prefer to have the return pump I prefer to have the flow rate matched to skimmer/ATS flow rates in order to ensure better filtration contact time.

Could you explain with a bit more detail?

Could you explain with a bit more detail?

He means the return should pretty much match the flow rate of the pump on the skimmer so it's not pulling dirty water past the skimmer and returning it to the dt before the skimmer can filter it. My opinion is that as long as they are close you will be okay because unless the skimmer is sectioned off and all the water has to go through it before it goes to the return some is going to go by it anyways.

I agree. Keep the return pump low enough to get close to matching the skimmers flow or even lower. For the display, if you have sps you want high rate random flow. For everything else you can have less

Archived