Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Midas Blenny With Kinked Spine

Snow_Phoenix

Snow_Phoenix

As the title goes, my Midas Blenny, Bob, began to develop a 'kink' in his spine today. He arrived in very poor shape when I first got him, and although I feed him 3x a day, he still hasn't packed on much weight. This was a pic of him just a few days ago without any deformities in his spine:

Mw1zz44.png

But today I noticed there's a slight 'V' indention about an inch down his spine.

What is the cause for the sudden kink? And can it be reversed?

I know in mammals that usually the curvature of the back is due to severe kidney infection. But I'm hoping that this is not the case with my Midas. I've grown fond of him, and waited 2.5 years to get a Midas. I really, really don't want to lose him. :(

looks like it is starving. Did you QT? How long have you had it? What foods are you feeding? Tank mates? Tank parameters?

Need more info and a current pic.

Snow_Phoenix

looks like it is starving. Did you QT? How long have you had it? What foods are you feeding? Tank mates? Tank parameters?

Need more info and a current pic.

I know - but he eats like a pig. He's in the same shape as I first bought him - still the same lateral lines showing. I've had him for almost 2 months now. I'm feeding Hikari Marine S pellets, Hikari brine shrimp, Hikari mysis and live BBS (when I have time to hatch them).

Tank is a 30" x 18" x 18". Is overstocked with 7 fish, but 2 fish are being rehomed within the upcoming week or two. Tank parameters:

Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate = 0ppm, PO4 = 0ppm, dKH = 8.1.

It's a mixed reef with softies, zoas, shrooms, macro, LPS and SPS. No skimmer - just a large fuge stocked with a lot of LR rubble and a lot of macro that's growing like a radioactive weed on crack.

I'll try to get a current pic tomorrow. The lights are out for the night and I don't want to mess up everyone's schedule. He only shows up when my pumps are off during feeding time - he keeps to himself at the back of the tank most of the time.

Just to understand correctly, the lateral spine visible midway on His body has an indent? Not the top fin area, right?

Yes, Kat, the spine has an indent - not the fin.

Have you treated for an internal parasite? If he is eating and eating but not putting on weight it's something to consider

Have you treated for an internal parasite? If he is eating and eating but not putting on weight it's something to consider

+1

Snow_Phoenix

I haven't treated for internal parasites, yet. Praziquantel good enough, I'm guessing?

I haven't treated for internal parasites, yet. Praziquantel good enough, I'm guessing?

Yep, but it decreases appetite. You need to get on it ASAP.

Archived