SaltCritters.com

Anyone have cats and aquariums?

piano15

I have a senior cat that has never even looked at my aquarium, as far as I know. We are adopting 2 kittens on Saturday and I have spent time kitten proofing my system. Not sure how old your feline friend is :). I would have a lid and make sure there aren't cords dangling that they could play with. Keep test equipment out of reach, etc. Make sure your stand is steady so that if they do jump up on it it won't tip over. That's what I can think of off the top of my head :).

natalia_la_loca

We've got two cats. They love to run, jump, climb and perpetrate murder and mayhem. They completely ignore my tanks.

13674288093_b8b7616e1f_z_d.jpg

thecoralbeauty

see my thread, name for the two cats... they LOVE my tank. I have a tight-fitting glass lid on both of my builds. they occasionally get on top but i've been good about hitting them with the squirt bottle when they do that, so they've learned to stay off.

they love to sit and watch the fish, though. I'd say the main thing is to keep cords secured somewhere they can't get tangled in them (or pull them out of the wall or your tank) and make sure there's a lid to keep fish in and cats out. Mine don't seem to want to eat them, just seem to want to play. they paw at the glass (no claws) and the wrasses seem to tease them back. BUT, i wouldn't trust them. I'm sure they'd love them as a snack, given the chance.

IMG_3058_zpszhq9jk2e.jpg

IMG_3049_zpsvsahswby.jpg

What's with the blanket under the tank?

My cat kilt a bear (well, she punched it in the nose and it huffed and puffed and ran away. Dumb nearsighted black bear).

thecoralbeauty

What's with the blanket under the tank?

My cat kilt a bear (well, she punched it in the nose and it huffed and puffed and ran away. Dumb nearsighted black bear).

my stand is my filing cabinet.

i'd rather it not rust or leak and destroy my papers. haha

I have a dog, no cat, and he couldn't care less about the tank. I don't think he's ever even glanced at it except when he is waiting for me to finish cleaning it so I'll play fetch with him.

Lol. Love the stories. I'm a crazy cat lady I have 4 cats.

I've had tanks before with no issue but I have two cats that weren't around then. All the wires will definitely, no doubt be hidden!

my tank will have no hood as the lights sit on the rim.

there is no ledge on my stand for them to sit, the tank takes up all the space.

You think a cat could knock down a tank with all that weight?

My cat is on the older side and not particularly active. She only looks at my reef tanks when I carry her right in front of them otherwise she completely ignores them. However long ago she took to drinking water out of a freshwater Fluval Chi tank and now we've just taken all the fish out and it has become her dedicated water source. She loves the water flowing from the top of the Fluval Chi tank!

if the lid is just mesh, any danger of cat peeing into the tank????

Cats are rather fastidious with their bathroom habits and will usually only use their litterbox unless they are unwell, so I think it would be unlikely. That is my experience with indoor cats at least.

A cat peeing in the tank would be unlikely unless as stated, it has a health issue or is a "dirty" cat.

cats love digging in their washroom, rubbing their paws to leave their sent after squating so i doubt it would be inclined to pee in the tank

My kitten ( 6 months old) Is into everything. She jumps at the 30 gallon constantly. It has screen lids though. The 20 gallon does not. I caught her drinking it the other day. That'll learn her.

SpencerShepard

I have a cat, and a shallow, open top tank. It's right on my kitchen counter, so she could easily catch my overly-friendly picasso clowns if she wanted....but she couldn't care less. Although she did fall into one of my tanks once trying to lie on the nice warm light fixture....so maybe that had a lasting effect! :)

My cat sits and watches the tank, paws at the crabs. The other day I pulled up a chair to sit and take pictures. Went to get a camera and came back to it occupied by a very intense fish watching cat.

my cat never bothered my 20. he'd sit next to it and ignore it. I think its because when I was in college I had pet rats and my cat thought he'd be clever and torment them by sticking his paws through the bars. He ended up nearly loosing the pad of his foot and had to get 4 stitches. I think now he believes every living animal I put into a container is because it will destroy him, including the fish.

Archived