ReefCleaners.org

PDR

Cencalfishguy56

My Fusion 20 is about a week old and I decided it was time to start a build thread. This being my 6th tank (2nd salt) I have tried many cycling methods and I currently have the best success with a fish in cycle. :o I know a lot of you will take issue with it, but trust me, if I didn't have a good grasp on it I wouldn't be risking it with $160 in fish.

Equipment:

IM Fusion 20 tank and stand

Neo-therm 75w heater

2x Intank media baskets

Jebao wp10

24" Orbit Marine LED

20 lbs Caribsea life rock

20 lbs Caribsea fiji pink sand

Livestock:

Helfrichi Firefish

Carpenters Flasher Wrasse

Future:

CUC when cycle is complete

1-2 more fish (suggestions welcome!)

ATO

Coral (lps and softies)

Here are the best pics I have so far.

IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0305.jpg

IMG_0317.jpg

You are brave my friend ahah

Cencalfishguy56

lol its actually not that bad, it just requires a lot of testing and using prime/water changes to detox when necessary. In my experience (if setup right) by the time any ammonia shows up it only lasts for about 3-4 days (harmless if you detox with prime) and never gets over .25ppm. At that point the cycle has about 5 days left. It also leads to an almost undetectable nitrite "spike". The only major risk is you have to let is settle in for a good 2-3 weeks before adding anything else (besides cuc) or you WILL get a bad ammonia spike.

No I figured that, I was just saying you did it with expensive fish haha

Hi there, new to the forum.. hailing all the way from Aus. Nice scape youve got there.

I've got a firefish and decora currently both residing in my system.. also a fusion 20 without any issues..

I do plan on getting a hellfrichi down the track.. they look sweet.

Also.. how does one subscribe to a tank journal.. Id like to follow hobbyist which also run the fusion 20

• 2 weeks later...

Wow sorry to hear about your wrasse and all the issues you are having.

I used live sand, live rock and Dr. Tim's one and only. My guess is the ammonia spikes are caused by the tank being new and having several fish in there with not enough nitrifying bacteria being present.

I wonder if the hermits and snails are just simply starving to death because there may not be enough algae in there for them yet to eat.

I only had one sand sifting snail and 3 hermits in my tank.

i just think your tank has not established yet. There are lots of different bacteria that slowly grow and it can take months. Even wit adding the nitrifying bacteria I have noticed that. I have lost a few snails too a couple of trochus and nerites and I did not notice a big spike in nitrogen. Not sure why it happened during the water changes other than the sand got stirred up a bit.

I have 2 clownfish and a tailspot Blenny, I'm going to add a possum wrasse because they are just unique looking fish.

A nice ornamental shrimp will also be fun. I love my little fire shrimp I got He will even eat from my hand.

It is very possible that it could have caused the spike as your tank does not have all the nitrifying bacteria fully established. That's awesome that you got the wrasse replaced. Go liveaquaria!

• 3 weeks later...

Your tank is looking Great! I just got into the reef tank idea a few weeks ago and I am thinking on doing a 20gal long tank and this post(even tho its not a long tank) has helped me out greatly seeing what to do and what not to do. Thanks!

Not to mention that i also have a 10 gal that I will probably turn into a frag/ grow tank that I could grow the frags I want and sell the rest off to my LPS.

Archived