Cultivated Reef

Spec iii Reef

jbb

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of the other tank , help me make up my damn mind .

The 65 was nothing but a pain in my ass since I set it up . Wasn't happy with the center overflow taking up a ton of room , wasn't happy with flow (could always add more I guess) and I just never had a satisfied feel with it . Honestly I didn't really have it going long before the big death , so that might be why I feel hatred towards it.

I still have my fusion 20 and I loved that tank. I have a slimline overflow box for it (1.5" thick) and I have all tools , parts , etc. to drill it .

So

Should I revive the 65 and try to make it a decent tank , or go back to the 20 and once it grows up then look to something bigger?

Either way it will be full of gobies :)

Speaking of the other tank , help me make up my damn mind .

The 65 was nothing but a pain in my ass since I set it up . Wasn't happy with the center overflow taking up a ton of room , wasn't happy with flow (could always add more I guess) and I just never had a satisfied feel with it . Honestly I didn't really have it going long before the big death , so that might be why I feel hatred towards it.

I still have my fusion 20 and I loved that tank. I have a slimline overflow box for it (1.5" thick) and I have all tools , parts , etc. to drill it .

So

Should I revive the 65 and try to make it a decent tank , or go back to the 20 and once it grows up then look to something bigger?

Either way it will be full of gobies :)

You've had much better success (in general) with smaller tanks than big ones. My vote would be the 20.

You've had much better success (in general) with smaller tanks than big ones. My vote would be the 20.

Drilled it today (WARNING : blooooooo pics below :) )

Overflow is 18" wide with (2) one inch drains , flanked by a 1/2" return on each side.

Box will be trimmed down to 1.5" (currently 4") so it doesnt take up as much room sticking out from the back wall .

21064019022_f4b2ea40b5_z.jpg

21047812166_079e104b7b_z.jpg

Looks cool. Why not get a slim box? Oh! I forgot, you haz power tools and you're not dangerous with them. :blush:

Original plan was a ghost but they only offer the dual 1.5" drains . I was nervous about drilling holes that big in a tank this small , so I improvised

And yes , I have plenty of tools and know how to use them.

Hi I have a question, this may be a dumb one.

BUT I have the same tank- no additions/upgrades.

I have been interested in making a zoa garden and dwarf seahorse tank.

would zoas grow under the stock light? I am not planning on doing ANY SPS. the craziest I would get would be softies or a seahorse safe LPS. (which I may upgrade the light slightly to accommodate).

My biggest grief with the stock light is there are no blue/actinic lights-- which bring the color out more, which is why I am thinking of upgrading the light.

as FO i dont see a problem with it, but I am interested in having a zoa garden.

Thoughts? ( I do not mean to derail your thread, but just thought you may have an opinion having the tank!).

P.S. BEAUTIFUL work you have done in there- could pass as a 30 gal! ;)

Hi I have a question, this may be a dumb one.

BUT I have the same tank- no additions/upgrades.

I have been interested in making a zoa garden and dwarf seahorse tank.

would zoas grow under the stock light? I am not planning on doing ANY SPS. the craziest I would get would be softies or a seahorse safe LPS. (which I may upgrade the light slightly to accommodate).

My biggest grief with the stock light is there are no blue/actinic lights-- which bring the color out more, which is why I am thinking of upgrading the light.

as FO i dont see a problem with it, but I am interested in having a zoa garden.

Thoughts?

I would probably lean towards the stock light not being good enough , but I have never used the stock light.

One thing to keep in mind is that some Zoanthinds have very intense lighting requirements just like some of the mmore demanding SPS corals. There are also low light SPS as well. Just because you aren't keeping acropora doesn't mean that automatically allows you to skip out on good lighting.

On any reef aquarium , your lighting will be your largest purchase right behind the cost of stocking the tank.

Look into a PAR 30 - that would allow you to provide light for anything you want to keep, and keep them happy. Avoid narrow optics however , if the beam is too tight it can fry anything you put under it. I would look for something with 90 or 120 degree optics .

Thanks! I have gotten some conflicting responses on the stocklight, because I believe it was used for a frogfish prior with no corals.

Yea, after reading around a bit I was thinking about a Par38 or par30!

Super helpful.

Archived