ReefCleaners.org

Chemipure+ skimmer+chaeto = over kill?

ImNew:]

Hey guys I'm in the late steps of setting up my sump and Chemipure came up as an idea. The sump is a basic 3 chamber sump. Chamber 1 will have the filter sock with chemipure inside it and also the cadlite p-50. 2nd chamber will have live rock and chaeto or just chaeto lastly chamber 3 return pump. Tank is 9 gallons with the plans of 1 fish maybe 2 as my bio load. I'm wondering if I'm over doing it? Chemipure would be the new mini ones rated for up to 5 gallons and would be changed every 2 months. Any thoughts? I'm here to learn so teach me :)

Cencalfishguy56

Hey guys I'm in the late steps of setting up my sump and Chemipure came up as an idea. The sump is a basic 3 chamber sump. Chamber 1 will have the filter sock with chemipure inside it and also the cadlite p-50. 2nd chamber will have live rock and chaeto or just chaeto lastly chamber 3 return pump. Tank is 9 gallons with the plans of 1 fish maybe 2 as my bio load. I'm wondering if I'm over doing it? Chemipure would be the new mini ones rated for up to 5 gallons and would be changed every 2 months. Any thoughts? I'm here to learn so teach me :)

Yea idk man lol I was thinking about running my reactor, skimmer, and chaeto but i have the fear of bleaching coral! Haha but id do it the way you are it may not be so bad compared to a reactor

Yea idk man lol I was thinking about running my reactor, skimmer, and chaeto but i have the fear of bleaching coral! Haha but id do it the way you are it may not be so bad compared to a reactor

I dunno, but I recently began bleaching all of my SPS after having a skimmer, reactor, and chemo pure blue.

Yeah I'm skipping the reactor route hah because of money but I didn't really think about bleaching. I think I'll be over doing it with the chemi. The skimmer is pushing it I think

HarryPotter

Yeah I'm skipping the reactor route hah because of money but I didn't really think about bleaching. I think I'll be over doing it with the chemi. The skimmer is pushing it I think

A BRS reactor is like $30... Much cheaper than a skimmer haha

My skimmer was 50, used for 2 months. I think I would have gone the reactor way if I didn't find the skimmer for that much.

HarryPotter

My skimmer was 50, used for 2 months. I think I would have gone the reactor way if I didn't find the skimmer for that much.

Nice deal! :)

I just bought a Cad-Lights PLS-50 Elite that had "Damaged Packaging" for $70, pretty happy with that :)

Cencalfishguy56

So you think I should hold off on the reactor? I'm just thinking about doing carbon not gfo unless I need it

Media bags are kind of useless in a sump unless all of the flow is forced to go through the media. Media bags were really designed for AIO tanks and reactors for sumps. BRS did a video a couple of weeks ago showing how ineffective media bags are in a sump.

Skimmers and reactors do different things. Skimmer is used for excess nutrient export in the water column. Media are mechanical water filtration.

Cencalfishguy56

Media bags are kind of useless in a sump unless all of the flow is forced to go through the media. Media bags were really designed for AIO tanks and reactors for sumps. BRS did a video a couple of weeks ago showing how ineffective media bags are in a sump.

Skimmers and reactors do different things. Skimmer is used for excess nutrient export in the water column. Media are mechanical water filtration.

Would gfo be pointless to run with chaeto?

Would gfo be pointless to run with chaeto?

GFO is for phosphates. Chaeto is for nitrates. Here is a list of what the most common things we tend to run in the filtration area do:

Chaeto, ATS - nitrates

GFO - phosphates

Carbon - clear water, some chemical absorption

Skimmer - excess nutrients

Chemipure elite - carbon/gfo

Chemipure blue - carbon/gfo/purigen

Purigen - water clarifier

KZ Coral Snow - liquid carbon/water clarifier

Vodka - liquid carbon

UV - pests and bacteria in water column

So as you can see running a skimmer with gfo/carbon is not redundant in the slightest. If anything it makes your life easier to keep a tank stable.

I myself do heavy skimming, gfo/carbon reactor, and kz coral snow.

Cencalfishguy56

GFO is for phosphates. Chaeto is for nitrates. Here is a list of what the most common things we tend to run in the filtration area do:

Chaeto, ATS - nitrates

GFO - phosphates

Carbon - clear water, some chemical absorption

Skimmer - excess nutrients

Chemipure elite - carbon/gfo

Chemipure blue - carbon/gfo/purigen

Purigen - water clarifier

KZ Coral Snow - liquid carbon/water clarifier

Vodka - liquid carbon

UV - pests and bacteria in water column

So as you can see running a skimmer with gfo/carbon is not redundant in the slightest. If anything it makes your life easier to keep a tank stable.

I myself do heavy skimming, gfo/carbon reactor, and kz coral snow.

Awesome thanks Gus! I was scared I was going overkill with running skimmer, chaeto, and reactor with carbon/gfo

Great post!i guess I'll have to get a reactor. You were saying unless it goes through the chemipure its uselss. So if I have my water coming from the tank pointed directly onto the Chemipure then it would actually be effective correct?
HarryPotter

aTS not familiar with that.

It's an algae turf scrubber. Basically you run water down a mesh and a TON of algae grows on it, and then you can clean the mesh and throw away the algae.

Same concept as refugium

HarryPotter

Know what a turf scrubber is never heard of it as ATF. That's for clarifying

No problem :)

I think I described it right- not positive. I was considering having fun with an old aquaclear 110 and making one, but that'll be another day :)

I'm thinking to silicon in a OVS bar, and have the mesh hanging from it. Water goes into the PVC, out through the mesh, and then back into the filter to go into the tank.

Could probably use another stunner strip for lighting... Hmmm...

Archived