Coral Vue Hydros

Flexi Plug - New Bluetooth controlled electrical outlet

D Z

Marine Depot has asked me to review this new product that has come out onto the market, so here are some of my thoughts.

18165604448_0c433a0fe5_h.jpg20150516_004106 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

18616973221_a14501d08f_h.jpg20150516_004118 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

18165751220_2678d18882_h.jpg20150516_004228 by cchsoracle, on Flickr

Overview:

This is a basic, bluetooth/app controlled power outlet. It is 1 single outlet. There is a simple Android/iOS app that allows you to control the power outlet. You can simply turn it on/off via the app, or set up a complex schedule for when the outlet turns on and off.

How I used it

For testing purposes, I set this up on the lighting for my QT. I have used it for a couple weeks now, and so far have not noticed any times where it did not work properly. Therefore, I would consider this to be reliable, although I have not tested it long term.

There is some other functionality that is available to this product that I did not test much, but it seems to work well. One could set this up to turn their pumps off for a set time frame, with the unit automatically turning the pumps back on at the end of that time frame. This provides functionality that was otherwise only available to those with an aquarium controller, for a much smaller investment.

Pro's:

Simple to use

Cheaper alternative to an aquarium controller

Small footprint

App controllability

Adds functionality that would otherwise be impossible without a controller

Con's/Areas for improvement

App is a bit sluggish at times

Does not provide a standard 3-prong outlet

Timer function does not provide functionality down to the second

Conclusion

I think this could be a very viable product option for certain people that need contolability that do not wish to spend $150+ on an aquarium controller. Also, this would be a great fit for someone who wants app controllability on independent outlets.

Here is Marine Depot's video that showcases the product for anyone who is interested.

Archived