Innovative Marine Aquariums

Damaba's 17 Gallon Journal

damaba

Hello fellow reefers,

I'v been creeping on the forms for years now and I'm finally getting together my first aquarium since I was a teenager. Five years ago I discovered aquariums designed by Takashi Amano, I was instantly drawn to the beauty and simplicity of his aquariums, but more so I was impressed by how the tanks equipment was so elegantly designed. Iv spent the last few years slowly collected equipment and dreaming of the perfect aquarium. Now with the innovation of LEDs and the availability of affordable designs, I figured that its time to start my journey and being to enjoy my dream aquarium.

I will be using this thread as a way to share my experience with my build and a way to log changes in the aquarium itself.

Goals for the aquarium

- Create an almost self sustaining reef (with basic maintenance)

- Equipment must enhance the visual experience of the aquarium

- Focus on macroalge and low maintance corals

- Enjoy it!

Concernes

- Temperature fluctuation (drafty house, cold in wither and hot in summer)

- Cost

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The equipment that I'v collected so far consist of..

- 17 gallon Mr. Aqua rimless tank

- Cut yoga matt for the tank to sit on

- Glass gnome skimmer

- Glass thermometer

- Elos Osmocontroller digital probe ( Auto Top off system)

- 2.5 gallon reservoir for RO water

- Vertex duplex cleaner mag (beautiful little gem)

- PH strips

The equipment that I'm looking to buy

- 1 Current USA Orbit Marine 24-36 LED

- Salinity Refractometer

- Fluval M 100 Water Heater (Lovely chrome design)

- 1 Hydor Koralia nano 425

- Test kit ( Recommendations needed )

- Salt ( Recommendations needed )

I'm really in love with this light, as its a dam good price and it can be programmed. My only concern would be that its not powerful enough. I have thought of buying a cheep HOB filter to run carbon during water changes but I don't want to keep it on the tank 24/7 as I feel it will disrupt the visual design of the tank. Is there any other equipment I'm missing here or any recommendations? Other than the organics like live rock and live sand I think this would give me a good start on the tank.

SchnauzerFace

BUMP. Any suggestions on the light or test kit?

API test kits are pretty standard for your beginning cycle tests (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate). I like Red Sea test kits for Alk/Ca/Mg. But if you're focusing on macros and soft corals, you may not need to worry too much about those three if you keep up with a regular WC schedule.

I don't have any experience with that particular LED setup so I can't help there. BUT, I have been putting together my own 17g tank with an emphasis on aesthetics, so I know that finding a quality LED that fits both form and function is a challenge. The Nanobox Duo and XR15w were my top two choices that fit that bill. I think there's a guy in the hardware section selling an XR15w for $360. If it's still available, you really might want to consider snagging it.

Your new setup looks really nice, btw. Love the low placement. Looks like the top of the tank is even lower than waist-high? I couldn't put my tank that low because my cat would probably jump in it. Also, I'd be worried about dog hair floating in there easily. But it really blends in well with the decor and I don't think I've ever seen a tank situated like that, so it's certainly unique.

Also, that's a sweet lamp in the corner :)

• 1 month later...
HarryPotter

BUMP. Any suggestions on the light or test kit?

Salifert Test kits are by far the most accurate. In terms of lighting, a Kessil 350, Radion XR15 Pro/XR30w Pro, NanoBox Duo, etc would all be good options.

• 2 months later...

I bought the gnome skimmer years ago directly from the guy that made them.

Glad u like the lamp. I made it ?.

Thanks for the advice on the test kits.

Im slowly coming closer to getting the tank up and running. Todays my birthday and I'm going to splurge a little omgomgomg

My presents are on their way from eBay.

New equipment

- 1Current USA orbit marine 24''-36'' with ramp timer $129

-API saltwater master test $24

-Premium aquatics salinity refractometer w/ATC $29

-2 feet frosted film $10

-Aquatic life RO buddy reverse osmosis system $65

-Tetra whisper air pump ( for the glass gnome skimmer ) $10

- Fluval m100 heater $23

-Jebao WP-10 wave maker with controller $37

-Red sea coral pro salt mix 55 gallon $32

-Mame skimmer III $98

-Caribsea live sand 20lbs fiji pink $36

Im excited about the light and looking forward to playing with all the neat settings, also I watched a few videos on the WP-10 and I was very impressed with its power and price. Maybe some day in the future I'll splurge on a Eco Tech. I also decided to upgrade to the Mame skimmer. I like its design better than the glass gnome and I'll be selling the glass gnome to supplement the cost of the new Mame III.

Im slowly coming closer to getting the tank up and running. Todays my birthday and I'm going to splurge a little omgomgomg

My presents are on their way from eBay.

New equipment

- 1Current USA orbit marine 24''-36'' with ramp timer $129

-API saltwater master test $24

-Premium aquatics salinity refractometer w/ATC $29

-2 feet frosted film $10

-Aquatic life RO buddy reverse osmosis system $65

-Tetra whisper air pump ( for the glass gnome skimmer ) $10

- Fluval m100 heater $23

-Jebao WP-10 wave maker with controller $37

-Red sea coral pro salt mix 55 gallon $32

-Mame skimmer III $98

-Caribsea live sand 20lbs fiji pink $36

Im excited about the light and looking forward to playing with all the neat settings, also I watched a few videos on the WP-10 and I was very impressed with its power and price. Maybe some day in the future I'll splurge on a Eco Tech. I also decided to upgrade to the Mame skimmer. I like its design better than the glass gnome and I'll be selling the glass gnome to supplement the cost of the new Mame III.

Sounds awesome! That list is pretty perfect!

Only thing I think you're missing is an ATO. The skimmer needs the water level to be consistent, and if you don't want to top off the tank once a day you will need an ATO. Mame makes one, but I prefer the Nano Osmulator ($99).

A sketch from my tank journal on how I plan on arranging the equipment. Also I really like the look of the frosted glass background, I love some of the lighting possibilities.

FullSizeRender_zpszwoa9ksk.jpg

IMG_3861_zpsdh1cl6n6.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, getting close. I'v used two cut pieces of yoga matt to cushion the tank and et up all the tools and frosted background, I'v also added a brace for some added protection if walnut sags under the pressure of the water. Here's a glimpse.

519D63AC-60BE-47BB-93E7-B2ABD2F67AF0_zps

421AFAE8-180B-4208-9D57-96DF78B2D24B_zps

9961EE85-3BC1-41C2-809D-42779B01ECDC_zps

nite time

7993006C-E9C6-419B-B202-7AB8C6AD9A1E_zps

Yo, just food for thought. Have you ever considered using that lamp in the background as lighting for your tank? Run like PAR 30 LED bulbs in the lamp?

Ok I'v finished the installing all of the equipment and have everything set up to start cycling the tank. Heading out today to look for dry rock.

CCD111E1-9C2C-45D7-87E1-372FAA725FA2_zps

E1CF2147-BE5C-49D7-AF23-F5C535E9F305_zps

Ok I'v finished the installing all of the equipment and have everything set up to start cycling the tank. Heading out today to look for dry rock.

CCD111E1-9C2C-45D7-87E1-372FAA725FA2_zps

E1CF2147-BE5C-49D7-AF23-F5C535E9F305_zps

For a minute I thought you put stickers on the glass to decorate it or something O.o

Then I realized it was just edits to show the plan :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'v decided to expand upon my dream tank with focus on a stable environment, a beautiful collection of aquatic plants/corals and minimum maintenance. So after doing a little research this morning I came to this solution, I will add in a display refugium plumbed into the tank. This will allow me to aquascape 2 tanks, one with a focus on LPS corals and the other on macro algae.

I'v included a picture of the planed set up,

I will have a pair of glass lilly pipes that I can attach into 1/2'' PVC line to make the appearance visually appealing. Water will be pumped to the refugium and then be returned to the main tank through a drilled fitted strainer via gravity.

I know that is is not common and I would appreciate criticism or potential flaws in this system.

Inspiration http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/198809-home-made-glass-above-tank-display-fuge/

Lifegard-Aquatics-Low-Profile-Strainer-1

2%20Tanks_zpsal2fdgfq.jpg

Archived