Innovative Marine Aquariums

Moving with corals (how to?)

aviator300

aviator300

I'll be moving cross country in a few months and of course I'm planning on breaking down my tank and selling off or giving away the fish and inverts but the coral is very expensive as you all know and I want to take as much of it as I can.

I'll be able to set the tank back up (at least temporarily) when I arrive at my destination but the corals will be out of the tank and in transport for up to 3 or 4 days so I expect some losses.

Most of the coral is glued to or encrusted onto the live rock but some are loose frags. My plan is to submerge the rocks and frags in buckets of tank water and transport them in my van taking care the waters not too cold or warm. At night, i'll bring them in the motel room. Do you think that giving them light for 6 or seven hrs at night would help or hurt?

Anyone done anything like this or have any other suggestions. We are talking about a quantity of coral and live rock that has been in a IM Nuvo 8 so not a whole lot of items.

righttirefire

Give them all to me... (sinister laugh). What about a power inverter for the cigarette lighter. Running a small power head or bubbler (even battery operated) and heater? Possibly a "rubbermaid" tote? I started my tank in a 30 gallon tote. And during the tank swap I transfered everything out of the tank into the tote and into the new tank...

I've read people blacking out their tanks for a couple days to battle algae...

Good luck!

Do you have any friends near you that have or could take care of them? Once you get moved in and settled, have your friend ship them over night to you. Obviously pay the person for any shipping costs and toss in a nice bottle of their favorite booze and you should be good to go.

Bait shops sell pumps and containers for keeping bait alive for long periods of time. This set up, plus a small, tough heater will probably get you through. Putting a light on the coral at night in the motel room should be sufficient for a few days.

You have a 10 gallon and a 7.5 gallon tank? How much live rock are we talking in volume? If it is truly going to be a multi-day commute, then get one or two 30 quart Engel bait coolers. It has the battery operated pump built in which can also be plugged into a lighter socket (and with an adapter into a wall overnight). Water tight and the lid can be locked down, so don't need to be as worried about too worried about spillage. Built in handles and strap for ease of carrying (or with the lid locked down, just put it onto a handtruck), though gently to prevent the items from shifting and crushing things - might want to put loose frags into 2/4 oz condiment cups with the bottom cut like you were shipping the frags to give them more protection. Toss in a heater overnight, a little Prime for any ammonia buildup and you should be fine for a couple of days. I'd omit the light if it is only a couple of days, treat it like a multi day "blackout" to reduce their metabolism. Would work to transport small fish also.

Afterwards, you will still have a really great 30 quart cooler to use as a cooler, and a battery operated air pump for power outages.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AHXRH3S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ENTBEZKGXKVW

• 2 weeks later...

Archived