Top Shelf Aquatics

Clove polyp tunicates on mat

Murphs_Reef

Murphs_Reef

Evening good people of NR.

So for the past 2 weeks my clove polyps have been very limited in opening up. Out of the 10 polyps I have one 3 open up, but not all at the same time. I have recently (after they stopped all opening) added an arcadia stretch LED until 26 watt, which has made the coral look 100% better in terms of colour but.... Still no real improvement.. The mat however is indeed spreading, not at a super fast rate but it's going.

My pulsing Xenia, buttons and shroom are great..

My params

SG 1.024

Temp 27 C = 80.6 F

Phosphates 0.15

Alk 12 dKH

Ca 480 (high side)

Nitrates 10ppm

Any ideas what's happening at all?

post-87585-0-92620700-1433542677_thumb.jpg

Jellyingabout

No not really, Ca is still fine as low as 350 and as high as 500 just not ideal, and clove polyps are quite unaffected by this, although a swing in Ca is usually accompanied by a swing in alk which it may feel.

Have you thought about flow?

Murphs_Reef

No not really, Ca is still fine as low as 350 and as high as 500 just not ideal, and clove polyps are quite unaffected by this, although a swing in Ca is usually accompanied by a swing in alk which it may feel.

Have you thought about flow?

Thanks yeah I have, I have to Jebao Wp10 on either side of the tank, over the weeks I have tried most combinations of settings but to no joy, I have not yet tried both on the same side pushing together.. I even tried just one of the wavemakers to see if there was too much flow.

Confused as the polyps where is great shape a few weeks ago. As I say the mat is lovely purple and still growing..

Jellyingabout

Whats your surface movement like? Xenia are great at circulating water around them access oxygen and shrooms need very little oxygen. You may have too little gas exchange, although I doubt you'd see growth if this was the case.

TBH as long as the mat is a healthy colour and is growing I wouldn't worry, they will settle in eventually. but make sure what your seeing is actually growth. Photo document it.

Murphs_Reef

True yes, I am very keen on documenting the growth as it happens. I have little visual markers on the rock but yes will photo it as it goes.

I have one jebao facing the surface enough not to cause salt creep but enough for some pretty good waves. The other is pointing at a very slight downward angle facing the back, it creates a stable shimmering look to the corals ... This took a bit of working with the wave makers but I feel that nothing is getting missed or blasted at the same time.

• 2 weeks later...
Murphs_Reef

So n the darker area of the mat in the picture, it seems that transparent tunicates are growing on or in the mat, I now have 3 very well looking heads now fully open. Will the tunicates kill or take over? I have tried to remove but they keep coming back?

Help?

Murphs_Reef

So this situation isn't getting better or worse. I still have three healthy looking polyps, the rest seem to gave perished and the tunicates seem just as strong... I can't find anything on the net about thus at all.. Do I try to cut away bits of the mat? Or will it make no difference? No goth in the mat to report thus week buts it's still a lush purple...

post-87585-0-91758500-1435179926_thumb.jpg

Archived