Pod Your Reef

Cleaner shrimp glued claws together

Sancho

I was gluing a new piece to to the rock a couple days ago. The cleaner shrimp went to do its thing and got a gob of super glue stuck to both claws. Today most of the glue is gone along with one of the claws. The remaining claw is still covered in glue. Still active and eating. I was wondering if the shrimp is a goner, or remain gimpy. Are they able to regrow limbs? I am hoping this works itself out when it molts. Any thoughts on this from the biologist folks here.

IMG_0127_zpsadwutz2z.jpg

They will regrow everything, but missing limbs take longer to regrow. Usually after a few molts (4-5) the missing limb will be replaced. It will get larger with each molt.

It should be fine as long as it is able to eat. You will see a lump form where the missing limb is. When it molts, this lump will be a small replacement limb that will get bigger with each molt until it is normal size.

Thanks guys. Thats what i thought. My 7 year old was convinced the shrimp was going to die. It spent the whole day yesterday trying to free itself from the glue I guess in the process it lost one of its claws.

Archived