Cultivated Reef

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Hagen did make friends w/ the kitty next door so it's possible to get along for sure. But....Hagen eats anything outside (and inside) so he'd probably end up eating their food and their poop.

That is a challenge. We had to modify a closet so that the cats can get in to use the litter box but the dogs can't. Works out great. The kittens know how to use it now too! It's so disgusting when the dogs eat the cat poop.

Oh...Becca and Bonnie on page 9 are rarities. Typically orange cats are male. Females are harder to find. But a female orange with long hair is super ultra rare. They have 2 on that website that I've found so far. Originally I wanted an orange female long-hair until I found out it's hard to find.

• Like 1

Nadine pg 5 looks like your kitty!! but yours is cuter.

You're right she does! I think Nora is cuter too :D. I love that Nora has one tiger stripe front leg and one orange front leg. It's my favorite thing about her color.
  • Like 1

Tank is looking awesome, Gena! Damn, makes me want to go more minimalist :lol: I'm in denial about having to clean out the back chambers of the AIO. And dem kittez! N&N are so cute.

• Like 2

New page, new month, new pictures :).

7-1-15no3_zpsbnhkzvzy.png

Love this pic. :) I'm so glad the new tank is working out so well, even if I do miss your old tanks.

ANd Nora is so smart cause she's a tortie (well, technically a torbie = tortie tabby). Torties are insane, but smart. ;)

• Like 1

New page, new month, new pictures :).

7-1-15no3_zpsbnhkzvzy.png

7-1-15no6_zpslqexx6wt.png

7-1-15no2_zpsbqudgtwx.png

7-1-15no5_zpsntueurkp.png

7-1-15no4_zpsegnyujhm.png

7-2-15

7-2-15no1_zpslkmuuszf.png

Everything looks stunning! It is like a work of art. Very pretty. I think 20 longs are some of my most favoite tanks out there to play with. Yours is just beautiful.

I have to stay off of the adoption websites for both animals and children. It is so hard, just heartbreaking, to see children without a family of their own. Animals as well. Your kitties are lucky to have you.

• Like 2

Yes!!! That is me!!! Years ago I was desiring at least one more child and my wonderful husband was not at the time....he got me a poodle! He knows me so well.

• Like 2

Tank is looking awesome, Gena! Damn, makes me want to go more minimalist :lol: I'm in denial about having to clean out the back chambers of the AIO. And dem kittez! N&N are so cute.

Thanks, Jaime! Once my tank grows in it won't look so minimalist. But for now :).

everything looks so happy. now that u had the tank up for a bit, how does it compare to your 45g in terms of maintenance and care? much easier with AIO and mostly LPS / softies??

Oh my gosh, the difference is magical :wizard: . I can handle this now. Not that my other tank was so time consuming. But I worried about it a lot. And had to test a lot. And was afraid to go on vacation and leave it alone. This tank is a breeze in comparison. Water changes are fast. No reactors to clean or fuge/sump, skimmer, to clean. Takes me 15 min. to do a water change with only a HOB filter to clean out. Maybe a little longer to scrape the glass. This was the best move I could have made for me right now. Plus I don't have to dose anymore. Although I'm bad and still haven't tested my water :blush:.

Love this pic. :) I'm so glad the new tank is working out so well, even if I do miss your old tanks.

ANd Nora is so smart cause she's a tortie (well, technically a torbie = tortie tabby). Torties are insane, but smart. ;)

Insane? :scarry: She's super smart and fearless :).

Everything looks stunning! It is like a work of art. Very pretty. I think 20 longs are some of my most favoite tanks out there to play with. Yours is just beautiful.

I have to stay off of the adoption websites for both animals and children. It is so hard, just heartbreaking, to see children without a family of their own. Animals as well. Your kitties are lucky to have you.

Thank you so much :). I was so close to adopting an all black kitten at my vet's office when I brought Nicky and Nora in for a checkup. I'd have 10 cats if I could lol. Oh geeze...I'm becoming a crazy cat lady in my old age :D.
  • Like 6

Wow! Love the most recent photos of this tank. Its so you with all the pastel colors. Makes me think of your older tanks, like the 12 gallon cube. I am seriously really digging that white background. I may have to try that sometime in the future. It really brightens up your tank. Btw, I love that this tank is small enough that you can enjoy the little critters like the porcelain crab. I was able to spot it in the most recent FTS's. :)

Those kittens are too cute to handle! So much adorable in this thread right now. Glad to see their doing well and I love that they enjoy the tank. That one photo of the kitten staring at the tank was way too cute.

• Like 2

Wow! Love the most recent photos of this tank. Its so you with all the pastel colors. Makes me think of your older tanks, like the 12 gallon cube. I am seriously really digging that white background. I may have to try that sometime in the future. It really brightens up your tank. Btw, I love that this tank is small enough that you can enjoy the little critters like the porcelain crab. I was able to spot it in the most recent FTS's. :)

Those kittens are too cute to handle! So much adorable in this thread right now. Glad to see their doing well and I love that they enjoy the tank. That one photo of the kitten staring at the tank was way too cute.

Thanks, Felicia! I definitely prefer this color palette. Bright colors are nice too but this is definitely more my style :).

They have an interest in the tank but not too much which is great! So far neither has tried to get on top of the tank. My DIY screen top would for sure not stand up to the challenge.

• Like 1
squirrelieygrrrl

Sweet new tank! I wish I had the time for a k.i.s.s. reef again. I had the most success with that practice. Can't wait to see it develop!

• Like 1

Sweet new tank! I wish I had the time for a k.i.s.s. reef again. I had the most success with that practice. Can't wait to see it develop!

Thank you! Me too! Right now I have the new tank ugliness (diatoms). Just waiting to get through the stages. I know cyano should be coming up next lol.

Took some pictures of my new garden this morning. It got a late start in part due to craziness going on in my life. But I'm happy it's up and going now and we have a long growing season which will help :).

This garden has mostly different types of peppers. A couple of tomato plants. A basil plant. I planted radish seeds which haven't popped up yet. As well as some nasturtium, which is an edible flower. There's squash in there and a pumpkin. Way to crowded but I'll pull things as needed. We built a fence around it to keep the dogs out :D.

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%209.20.0

Screen%20Shot%202015-07-06%20at%209.20.2

My husband is hopefully going to build me some wooden tomato cages to replace those old beat-up metal things.

• Like 6

Gena! This looks wonderful! I love the new tank. I'm sorry that I've been MIA lately and am just now seeing this. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

• Like 1

I still have diatoms at times. Especially if i feed to much.

Love your garden. It is a nice addition to your back yard. Looks very welcoming.

My children and I built raised beds several years ago and I love gardening in them much better than in the Georgia clay. I usually put in a large garden every year as we have such a big family to feed. But these last two years we have been blessed with infants in our lives and I have had to let a few things fall off my list of things to do and gardening was one of them. We stiil had strawberries and black berries. Also a few tomato plants came up last year and this year from seeding of the year before, so we will have a few tomatoes as well. :

• Like 1

Gena...OMG! This is awesome! Mind if I post a pic of our garden in your thread too? We have raised beds along the side of the house, along with the cedar garden shed I built last month. Our garden is like Little Shop of Horrors...grows so fast!

L says hi!

• Like 1

Gena, I just got caught up - so sorry about your Mom! I'm glad you have Nick and Nora for kitten therapy. Did you name them from the Thin Man? The tank looks great even while it's going through the ugly tank phase, and what a relief to have a reduced maintenance setup at this time :)

• Like 1

Nice job Gena! I thought you'd never get rid of your last cube. That tank was really beautiful. What did you do with that tank btw?

I'm starting to really wish I had a long tank and not a cube

• Like 1

Gena! This looks wonderful! I love the new tank. I'm sorry that I've been MIA lately and am just now seeing this. I can't wait to see what you do with it.

Thank you so much :). I'm pretty much done with it unless I add a another gorgonian. Not sure. But I don't want to overload this tank so I'm trying to stop now to let everything just grow in :).

I still have diatoms at times. Especially if i feed to much.

Love your garden. It is a nice addition to your back yard. Looks very welcoming.

My children and I built raised beds several years ago and I love gardening in them much better than in the Georgia clay. I usually put in a large garden every year as we have such a big family to feed. But these last two years we have been blessed with infants in our lives and I have had to let a few things fall off my list of things to do and gardening was one of them. We stiil had strawberries and black berries. Also a few tomato plants came up last year and this year from seeding of the year before, so we will have a few tomatoes as well. :

Thank you :). I love having a garden. I feel so connected with the earth when I'm out there tending to it. And then when we get to harvest it and well, there's nothing like super fresh vegetables and fruit :). So awesome that your tomatoes seeded themselves. Someday I'd like to get into canning. That was something my mom and I (sort of) used to do together. I never really paid attention to what she was doing, it was more a time to sit and me watch her and just talk about things together.

Gena...OMG! This is awesome! Mind if I post a pic of our garden in your thread too? We have raised beds along the side of the house, along with the cedar garden shed I built last month. Our garden is like Little Shop of Horrors...grows so fast!

L says hi!

Please do! I'd LOVE to see it!!! And anyone else that has a garden too! I love seeing what people do :). I hope my garden becomes a Little Shop of Horrors LOL. Tell L, "Hi!" :flower: Wish we could get together and chat again! That's it. I just have to move to Austin, Tx. My brother needs me too :).

Gena, I just got caught up - so sorry about your Mom! I'm glad you have Nick and Nora for kitten therapy. Did you name them from the Thin Man? The tank looks great even while it's going through the ugly tank phase, and what a relief to have a reduced maintenance setup at this time :)

Thanks, John :). Yep....the Thin Man. My husband picked the names.

Nice job Gena! I thought you'd never get rid of your last cube. That tank was really beautiful. What did you do with that tank btw?

I'm starting to really wish I had a long tank and not a cube

Thank you so much! Things just sort of happened and now I'm minus a cube :lol:. I ended up selling it locally off of Craigslist. Long tanks definitely give you more options but I loved both the cube and this tank equally as far as size. But as far as the livestock...this tank wins.
  • Like 3