Pod Your Reef

Frogfish

DurocShark

DurocShark

I'm intrigued by the frogfish, so thought that would be a great solo fish for my office pico. There are several that top out at a couple cm according to this: http://www.frogfish.ch/species-arten/all-frogfish-species.html

The only one that seems to appear in the hobby is the warty anglerfish. Not a cheap fish either, and apparently pretty rare?

Anyway, anybody successfully kept one in a tank this small? It doesn't move much, and if it's the only fish in a tank that gets massive water changes and (will have) lots of macros to keep the water happy, I'm thinking it would be fine. But I wanted to see what others had to say...

I'm interested as well. I almost made an impulse buy the other day but went with my gut, couldn't fork over $200 for a red frog fish that looked like it came out of a Disney Nemo movie.

My LFS has a painted angler in a pico tank and it does very well. They feed it feeder shrimp couple times a week I think. Its a cool little fish

Its white with reddish brown markings.

I wanna do the same with my fluval spec 5.5. I am also going to drill and sump it and make it a macro algae tank. You think its big enough and the filtration should be fine sumped for the wartskin angler? I know they stay small and literally just sit till fed which apparently is only tice a week.

I'm intrigued by the frogfish, so thought that would be a great solo fish for my office pico. There are several that top out at a couple cm according to this: http://www.frogfish.ch/species-arten/all-frogfish-species.html

The only one that seems to appear in the hobby is the warty anglerfish. Not a cheap fish either, and apparently pretty rare?

Anyway, anybody successfully kept one in a tank this small? It doesn't move much, and if it's the only fish in a tank that gets massive water changes and (will have) lots of macros to keep the water happy, I'm thinking it would be fine. But I wanted to see what others had to say...

LA/DD has gotten a different species from Hawaii that only gets around 3 inches. They cost $180, but should work in a 5.5.

uh liveaqauria has them for only 70 for the red and 90 for the wartskin.. .. idk where the 100-200 is coming from

uh liveaqauria has them for only 70 for the red and 90 for the wartskin.. .. idk where the 100-200 is coming from

I lied their prices are different now

My local Maiden head has a warty frog fish in their zoa and mini maxi tank. It's a shallow 18 inch cube.

Cool looking fish if not a little freaky, but it's also all but invisible first glance in the tank when it's sat on the zoa colonies. It's natural camouflage is amazing.

Not sure I'd ever want to hand over the £102 the price tag states.

Would make a cool centre piece to a small tank with a 1 fish capacity. Keeping it with any other fish would just become an expensive way of feeding it from what I understand lol.

That's a $100 fish, maybe $120 for a large one. Shop around, if you pay anything over $150 you are getting had.

I offered $90 ,then he told me $200 and I was thinking that I'd rather pay shipping via Divers Den and get a few more fish for the same price as one from my LFS

I did the impulse thing and bought a frog fish last week... I did my usual acclimation and for some unknown reason he last all of 2 days in my hospital/quarantine tank. It did have copper in it. They are amazing fish though and I would like to successfully keep one. If. I were to do it again it would go straight into a well established reef tank with many different colors so it would find a little corner to feel as though it was blending into his surroundings.

I did the impulse thing and bought a frog fish last week... I did my usual acclimation and for some unknown reason he last all of 2 days in my hospital/quarantine tank. It did have copper in it. They are amazing fish though and I would like to successfully keep one. If. I were to do it again it would go straight into a well established reef tank with many different colors so it would find a little corner to feel as though it was blending into his surroundings.

That would be unwise for the next fish. It didn't die from lack of colorful surroundings in your QT. Perhaps more research instead?

One difference from most other fish is that frogfish should not be exposed to air. They can ingest air when taken out of the water during transfer, etc. This is one instance when letting bag water into the tank is recommended. Never use a net for transfer and never take the frogfish out of the water.

Ich can also be a problem with froggies and they don't have the typical visible signs of infection on their skin but the gills can be infested rather badly. TTM for that. They can also suffer from other parasites that can be difficult to treat. A good practice would be to place them in QT with a lower salinity (~1.014) for a couple weeks.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack this post... good info though... I believe the ich was the likely cause along with the stress of moving the fish. I watched the LFS catch him and he was never exposed to air. There were signs of ich in the system he came from. Definitely a bummer to haul a nice fish like that out of the sea only to loose it to a disease.

DurocShark

Yeah. I see ich, I leave. I get enough diseasles all on my own, I don't need any help. ;)

DurocShark

Wow. Just wow. How do you get your hand all the way in it?

I was waiting for it to bite the guy's face off at the end.

Holy angler fish batman!

You could just tell the second guy was itching to start hitting it halfway through the video.

I would love to see the work place accident report for that one......... well what happened was................ and then the fish ate my arm.

Did you see that? Dude rips off a piece of trim off that bench. WTF? It had nails poking out and everything. He tore it up. I'd be pissed off!

Archived