inTank Media Baskets

True UV light and corals - who wants to try?

DNK

jedimasterben

The old ones from LEDgroupbuy, like all of the 'generic' packaged LEDs used PMMA plastic lenses. Obviously plastic isn't a great idea to have around near-UV light, and having it concentrated right inside it leads to very fast degradation. That's why they've switched to using the 3535 package and silicone primary lenses so that the same shouldn't happen. I've got several 430nm and 405nm that were from their first run of 3535 diodes, something like 2 years ago now, that have been used at 700mA for 12 hours daily (so estimate at least 6000-9000 hours) and they're still clear as a bell, can see right through the lens to the LED diode itself. If anyone has some of their violets in the 3535 package that the lens is turning brown, I'm pretty sure Milad would want to know about it and I would contact them.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My understanding from my question previously is that the answer to your questions is "no." It is simply a visual check. Did it look like your corals were happier? Yes? Great it worked. No? It didn't.

Sunlight is amazing. Talk about energy and power. So many things require it, photosynthetic or not. If I could run a totally sunlit tank i would - there are ways to reduce algae that would allow for a sunlit tank.

There's a reason depression runs high in parts of the world that experience longer nights than days (Alaska at times, etc.).

There's a reason depression runs high in parts of the world that experience longer nights than days (Alaska at times, etc.).

Seasonal affective disorder - vitamin D deficiency. I got it my first winter in MN.

disaster999

The old ones from LEDgroupbuy, like all of the 'generic' packaged LEDs used PMMA plastic lenses. Obviously plastic isn't a great idea to have around near-UV light, and having it concentrated right inside it leads to very fast degradation. That's why they've switched to using the 3535 package and silicone primary lenses so that the same shouldn't happen. I've got several 430nm and 405nm that were from their first run of 3535 diodes, something like 2 years ago now, that have been used at 700mA for 12 hours daily (so estimate at least 6000-9000 hours) and they're still clear as a bell, can see right through the lens to the LED diode itself. If anyone has some of their violets in the 3535 package that the lens is turning brown, I'm pretty sure Milad would want to know about it and I would contact them.

I would definitely contact Milad and let him know about it. But i dunno if he can or if he would do anything for me since I bought the LEDs more than a year and a half ago.

Milad LEDGroupBuy.com

as everyone is mentioning, browning on the violet leds (400nm-430nm) is because of primary lens issues.

If you have some that were purchased from LED Group Buy (original batch) that had this issue please contact us and we will figure something out for you.

Our new 3535 LEDs dont have the issue and really out preform anything else on the market in that wavelength.

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/search.php?search_query=430

Thats why the Lumia LED has been so popular

http://www.ledgroupbuy.com/search.php?search_query=lumia

Our new 3535 LEDs dont have the issue and really out preform anything else on the market in that wavelength.

Can I see official manufacturer's datasheet for this LEDs?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi colleagues!

The UV-A LEDs is ready: http://reefll.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=236

I would like to remind - the numbers of this LEDs is not big, who would like to buy them little later, please write me in PM.
Who will buy this LEDs please keep in mind - it is the first time when we can check how works on our corals the significant amount of the UV-A radiation. Because of this, any opinions about this work will be highly appreciated! Please write your messages in this topic. May be we will make a small revolution ;)

Archived