ReefCleaners.org

True UV light and corals - who wants to try?

DNK

Hi everyone!

It's still not clear how really UV light of 380-400nm affects the corals. One of the reason is simple: to provide significant amount of light radiation in this range one needed to spend relatively big money. As I know, no one decided to waste money (or just publish any information?)

Now we could try it pretty easy: our partner manufacturer TSLC (well known previously as Semileds) just received huge contract for special 4-core LED chips consist of 3 x 380-390nm and 1 x 400nm. This LED is powerful enough: radiation power is advertised as 1300-1500mW at 350mA, which is very good for this part of spectrum, and maximum current 1A.

Supposedly, to get some reaction from corals we should use only from 6 to 10 of such LEDs at max current 1A per square meter of aquarium surface.

The company Reef light Lab is able to get some number of such LED emitters and get them mounted on to SinkPAD 20mm star similar to this one: http://reefll.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=59_63&product_id=58

however full price is going to be only USD15!

We expect to get this LEDs in July 2015 and could execute this orders. No pre-ordering or pre-payment is considered because we understand that not too many aquariumists want (and will be able to do it) to change the light for his tank.

If you are interested to participate in this experiment, please let us know before June 15, 2015.

Please be noticed that this spectrum likely will not increase fluorescence of corals, and might increase visibility of micro particles in a water.

It is offered for experimental light only!

Any questions or concerns are welcome here.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe Dana Riddle did point out in an article that coral does use the 380-400nm spectrum for photosynthesis.

I'd love to see the results regardless.

I would't anticipate a large number being necessary over a tank though. Maybe one for every two or three of the other four core violet.

Sure, coral slightly use the 380-400nm spectrum also for photosynthesis. But I think, for noticeable reaction of corals we should use a significant amount of light radiation in this range. It is important point.

disaster999

Will you be willing to ship internationally?

How well will the "lens" of the LED handle the UV wavelength. I have had a number of LED lenses turn black, even from reputable sources like LEDgroupbuy. I dont want to run into that problem again where the lenses oxidizes and limits the output.

DurocShark

I added a little UV to my tank. Dunno if it made a difference or not, but I'd like to follow this.

Yes, we can ship worldwide.

Primary lens of this 4-crystal LED made of silicone. It work well for this wavelengths. Please note - manufacturer of this LEDs is most famous UV LED manufacturer in world.
Usually "burning" of the lens is not itself lens problem at all, it is a problem of seller, that sold a cheap 350mA LEDs at price of relative costly 700mA LEDs.

I added a little UV to my tank.

Please note - all radiation with longer wavelength than 400nm is not UV, it is a violet light. UV radiation is very costly and not used in significant amount (i.e. which giving an effect) in the fixtures for the marine tanks.

Colleagues whom it would be interesting to experiment with this soft UV radiation, please specify the required number of the LEDs.

Why are you interested in a low spectrum like these?

Zooxanthellae have chlorophyll A and some accessory chlorophyll C. Chlorophyll A primarily has an absorption spectrum of 400-450nm and then another at ~630-700ish (numbers are not exact). Below 400 the absorption is not very efficient at all. Chlorophyll C absorbs around 500-600. Why use LEDs that probably will have no effect?

tibbsy07, you right, soft UV is little used for photosynthesis. But I would like to check how it will work for forming chromoproteins. There is a chance that it will be work well, at least for the hard corals.

tibbsy07, you right, soft UV is little used for photosynthesis. But I would like to check how it will work for forming chromoproteins. There is a chance that it will be work well, at least for the hard corals.

Gotcha. How are you planning on testing it? Which chromoproteins? Are the people testing the LEDs getting something else to help them test? Or is it all going to be based on coloration? Are you asking for extensive details of their tanks, maintenance, dosing, etc.?

I've been very interested in UV, they can produce some striking colors like hot pinks in SPS. I always understood that even a short exposure would burn the corals. Perhaps the low intensity is the answer. I can't take part in the experiment but I'm most interested in your results.

tibbsy07, you're right again, this testing can't be strict. Moreover, fully strict testing of corals is impossible at all :) On the other hand, our task is not a pure scientific research. We would like to provide rare possibility of such testing for maximum possible numbers of enthusiasts of the marine aquaria. Only testing on real tanks can give clear answer about how works soft UV radiation for colouring of the corals.

If reefkeepers will see significantly improving in colouring of the corals in real marine systems, it will mean - soft UV is work as expected. If they can't see good changes in colouring, it will mean - use of soft UV is completely unnecessary in marine fixtures.

Cencalfishguy56

You're going to mutate these corals into monsters! We will be waking up in the morning with polyps trying to eat us!! Lol ok jk ;)

You're going to mutate these corals into monsters! We will be waking up in the morning with polyps trying to eat us!! Lol ok jk ;)

;) I think, for mutating we should use much shorter wavelength of the light, therefore feel free to join the testing :)

tibbsy07, you're right again, this testing can't be strict. Moreover, fully strict testing of corals is impossible at all :) On the other hand, our task is not a pure scientific research. We would like to provide rare possibility of such testing for maximum possible numbers of enthusiasts of the marine aquaria. Only testing on real tanks can give clear answer about how works soft UV radiation for colouring of the corals.

If reefkeepers will see significantly improving in colouring of the corals in real marine systems, it will mean - soft UV is work as expected. If they can't see good changes in colouring, it will mean - use of soft UV is completely unnecessary in marine fixtures.

Gotcha. Works for me. I hope you get some good information :)

Nah, they'll just get cancer.

jedimasterben

I've been very interested in UV, they can produce some striking colors like hot pinks in SPS.

Dana Riddle's work shows red spectra being responsible for most red pigments, and light intensity can change absorbance/emission as well.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/6/aafeature2

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/7/aafeature1

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2007/10/aafeature2

Cencalfishguy56

;) I think, for mutating we should use much shorter wavelength of the light, therefore feel free to join the testing :)

True forgot about that so more on the blue side of things

Gotcha. Works for me. I hope you get some good information :)

Nah, they'll just get cancer.

Wonder if corals have oncogenes hmmmm :lol:

I believe Halides and T5s already expose corals to UVA so I don't think it will be too much of an issue to have LEDs doing the same.

I believe Halides and T5s already expose corals to UVA so I don't think it will be too much of an issue to have LEDs doing the same.

Sure, some of T5 and MH have a UVA. However, I don't know any home reef that have a noticeable amount of UVA. I think, necessary amount of UVA for producing significant effect in increasing coloration of corals should be at least ~20W per square meter or even more.

Please note - I not sure, I suggest to test this opinion.

Anything with mercury in it (MH, T5, PC) will have a spike at 365nm, even after UV glass.

20130116_084908.jpg

I also really liked the part where the corals were in low tide. The colors on some of those SPS were pretty sick. All I could think of was that if those guys were put in out reef tanks they'd glow like the sun haha

RC has a thread by a company in Australia that grow out frags under natural sunlight. The colors look great. They get about 2400 PAR they said.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2500838

Archived