Coral Vue Hydros

diy mini magnent rock thing

itsyahboydanny

itsyahboydanny

hey nr,

so I was wondering if anyone has made those rocks that people magnet to their back walls and put frags on. how do they get the magnets in the rocks? and what kind of magnets do they use and where do I get them? Is there is a guide or thread on making these that I can't seem to find? any help would be awesome!!

So you would need relatively powerful magnets depending on how thick the walls of your aquarium are. Also how much weight will need to be supported. Maybe buy a few types but I would suppose that the rock should weigh only a few ounces. My guess is that a magnet rated to hold a few lbs would work. It's probably better to use multiple smaller magnets than a single larger magnet.

Normally the magnets are encapsulated in epoxy resin and then glued into whatever object it's holding up. I'm not 100% sure, but I think you could probably also get away with using epoxy putty, like aquamend, to encapsulate the magnets. Whatever you use it has to be waterproof and provide a good seal or the magnets will corrode.

One other method I've tossed around is actually building small acrylic boxes around the magnets... But that might be more work than I want to test out.

I looked in to this and decided to either buy one premade or to use Vertex magnetic cleaner. I looked in to the the encapsulated magnets and I felt there was too much risk of the protection being compromised and corrosion. I bought a Duplex and was planning to cut a rock with a hacksaw and then scrape away a recess for the magnet with a chisel or even try to use a Dremmel. I would then suerglue the magnet in place.

The Vertex I use for cleaning my glass has been in tht tank for a year and shows no sign of leaking which is more than I can say for a frag rack I bought from a well known company!

Ceramic magnets don't need any coating. I have several in use, some I wrap in rescue tape (silicone tape) if they are going to be on glass.

Haha thats a pricy magnet! I would just buy the OEM Rock Magnet for that price~

It is for sure but I saw it as cheap insurance against leakage and causing problems in the tank. I have heard of a few stories of problems that lead back to corroding magnets; I'm not going to be checking them too often and wanted to play it safe. And choose my own rock size and shape. The Aqua Mags look good, too.

HarryPotter

So I am considering a "mounted" adjustable floating rock.

I have an AIO that has a thick plastic divider between the display and filtration. If I drill a hole in the plastic divider, I could probably mount any small rock with a SCREW (Plastic obviously) into the back.

Not sure if I actually want one, just thinking about it.

Archived