inTank Media Baskets

Buying Chaetomorpha off eBay?

HarryPotter

righttirefire

Harry...calm down... plenty of people here sell/ give away chaeto... if I was closer I'd give you some... but I nothing about shipping and the trip from Oregon to Florida would be crazy

Offered is approximately one golf ball sized portion of a hardy low-light strand species of Chaeto Macro Algae, with free standard shipping!

It's not much for $5... I can guarantee that there are probably some hobbyists in your area who would give you that much for free or even more. Check your local forum.

It looks like this person also uses standard shipping so could take a week in transit. Not sure how chaeto would do in that situation but I'm sure picking it up directly would have less risk of die off.

phobos2deimos

It probably won't be much (golfball maybe), but with as fast as chaeto grows you won't need much. Chaeto will do fine in standard mail, they'd have to really screw up packing to kill it. I've had macros (poorly packed) get lost in the mail and arrive two weeks later, still mostly alive.

And yes, your local guys will likely give it away, with the added benefit of (hopefully) fresh, alive pods and other microfauna.

I think I saw that listing a while back, was tempted, but found Ark right here selling a sandwich bag of chaeto for $10. Mine arrived totally deep green, with three different kinds of pods and a micro brittle star that's since turned into five or six, and they keep the insides of rocks nice and clean.

So my opinion would be to find a forum member selling chaeto (there were a couple when I was looking), or find local hobbyists. Hell if you want, stalk them and read the entire thread they've kept up about the tank that chaeto is in; you'll know if the tank has run into issues in the past with pests and whatnot.

Just an alternative - if you buy an 8 oz pack of Algagen Tisbe Pods, there's a small amount of cheato in the package. The pods will colonies your system too. Also as they are aquaculture, they state there are no diseases or hitchhikers in the cheato. If your conditions are right, the small amount will grow quickly. I did this once.

Recently, I bought from Arkayology on these boards - $10 shipped USPS Priority - nice quality algae.

HarryPotter

Thanks everyone, I will be buying from Ark when I figure out my PayPal.

I also have to finish setting it up- scraping the paint off the back so the light will shine through

Archived