SaltCritters.com

Draco's Dwarf Seahorse Journal

Draco

I am in the planning stages of owning a pair of Dwarf Seahorses. It's going to be a while before I actually get a pair. There will be no other life, aside from CUC in the tank.

I am starting a log of sorts. hope it's the right place? I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes! After reading the sticky and care sheet posted within the article, I feel comfortable. Except for the food making.. that makes me a little nervous as I am new to that, lol. I am sure I will get the hang of it quickly!

I am a bit confused on what's the best size tank to get for dwarfs. Some say 3-5 gals, others say 10+ gal. I was looking at Petco's cube with the chambers in the back, which is 3.7 gallons.. anyone think that's too small? I am thinking a cube with chambers would be best as its less flow and has more vertical swimming room. Or should I forget the chambers and put in a sponge filter or two?

Would planted macro's do OK in bare bottoms? I am thinking of doing mainly macro/planted type of tank as I don't want it to look like a reef tank. If I need sand, I would go dark to pop the horses out a bit more.

I am not sure what macros to get yet.. there's so many to choose from! If anyone has suggestions on what would the horses like best, please do share!

I look forward to any advice you guys have to share!

From what I understand about seahorses is that the dwarf species are hardier I believe. I think maybe 5 gallon might be better? Probably sumped for more of a water column and better filtration. The fluval spec would be a good seahorse tank IMO. I have one that I am going to drill and put a wartskin angler in.

I am in the planning stages of owning a pair of Dwarf Seahorses. It's going to be a while before I actually get a pair. There will be no other life, aside from CUC in the tank.

I am starting a log of sorts. hope it's the right place? I want to make sure I don't make any mistakes! After reading the sticky and care sheet posted within the article, I feel comfortable. Except for the food making.. that makes me a little nervous as I am new to that, lol. I am sure I will get the hang of it quickly!

I am a bit confused on what's the best size tank to get for dwarfs. Some say 3-5 gals, others say 10+ gal. I was looking at Petco's cube with the chambers in the back, which is 3.7 gallons.. anyone think that's too small? I am thinking a cube with chambers would be best as its less flow and has more vertical swimming room. Or should I forget the chambers and put in a sponge filter or two?

Would planted macro's do OK in bare bottoms? I am thinking of doing mainly macro/planted type of tank as I don't want it to look like a reef tank. If I need sand, I would go dark to pop the horses out a bit more.

I am not sure what macros to get yet.. there's so many to choose from! If anyone has suggestions on what would the horses like best, please do share!

I look forward to any advice you guys have to share!

Hi draco, I have erectus seahorses but I did a lot of research on dwarfs before I settled on the greater species. Actually I think a 3.7 gallon can work. They do better in small tanks because they need such a high density of live food several times a day. They are predator hunters that just stay hitched and wait for their food to drift by, (which is why they need such a high density). As a result they need lots of water changes to keep up water quality. If you can do a sump with an oversized skimmer, I would. You have to be mindful that whatever filtration you use, the tiny dwarfs can be sucked into or onto it. So overflows and intakes must all be covered.

Another challenge is they only eat live food. Hatching baby brine shrimp is not hard but it must be fed immediately or enriched. Decapsulated cysts are best to keep the seahorses from ingesting the shells. You probably should also feed copepods but everyone I know who do, cultures them separate. Otherwise the DSH eat them all. That does help vary their diet though.

From what I read macros are possible but must be dipped to kill hydroids and amphipods, both which are deadly to dwarfs. There are definitely some macros that can be trained to attach to rock. I have dragon's breath, grape caulerpa, feather caulerpa and red titan in my tank.

Although a Dwarf seahorse tank would be much more economical, the rigors of providing their food and the husbandry demands scared me off which is why I chose erectus. Hatching food everyday and finding a sitter who would/could do it while I vacationed seemed too hard. I wish you the best though!

• 4 months later...

Archived