Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Spec V College Build->Test Result Consult Needed

Varano14

So I have bad news yesterday I awoke to a dead cleaner shrimp. It appears I payed for my impatience. Please spare the I told you so's as I feel pretty terrible. I had all the info on here to do this right and I didn't listen. Part of me wanted to just give up on this tank, but seeing how nice all of yours look make me want to give it another go, and hopefully do it right this time.

With that said I need some advice.

My tank was not ready for the bioload that I added, two fish and a shrimp was a huge jump in bioload and in hindsight I'm surprised they lasted as long as they did. My question is should I dose ammonia and completely recycle or just restock but much more slowly such as starting out with a new shrimp waiting weeks to add a fish? I feel the most likely cuase of the shrimp dying was from the ammonia spike that happened a week or so ago.

Also I took the rock out and scrubbed of the algae, and reduced my light schedule a good bit to try to combat the algae. I also did a water change as recommended.

Finally I did a water test yesterday and the results were PH-7.9 or 8 hard to tell exactly Ammonia was between 0-0.25ppm so Nitrate and Nitrate both 0

Let me know what you all think.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So today I took to the offensive and used Aqueon's Ammonia Remover. My corals have been understandably closed and I am very worried about them surviving. My ammonia seems to be spiking and I am not really sure why. Suspect #1 was a snail that looked dead, he has since been removed. I am not really sure what else I can be doing to help the corals. I have been doing two water changes a week and no source of ammonia has been added since the death of the cleaner. I am hoping that with the removal of the ammonia things will start to balance out.

Before and after ammonia tests, I couldn't believe how high the before was.

Photo%20on%209-30-15%20at%2010.11%20AM_z

And the very pissed of zoas

IMG_0854_zpsklwavs9m.jpg

Anyone? Have I been shunned for incompetence?

No, just a busy site where threads get missed sometimes.

You should take those polyps out and leave this tank alone for a month. Test ammonia again in a week and see what it's doing. Go from there. If your ammonia is really where that test is showing those zoas are just going to die.

Yah I just need to find someone to give them to no lfs around, and petco won't take them back. The people in this one are actually very knowledgeable and there tanks are very well taken care of. However the guy said they don't take frags back every since they did and it had something on it that took out half there frag tank. I do understand this but I wish I had somewhere to take it so it doesn't just die in my tank.

Water tests from today I'd really appreciate a second opinion being color blind really makes me second guess my interpretations of the results.

IMG_0855_zpsirngzcou.jpg

From what I can tell it looks like ammonia is much better and I have some nitrates? This in combination with the random algae explosion leads me to think maybe I had a mini cycle. Hopefully this test is showing what I think it is and means things are getting back on track.

I really appreciate everyone who takes the time to give advice. Its on of the few reasons I haven't packed it in on this tank.

Archived