Cultivated Reef

What is the issue with using a nano ATO in a larger system?

Newtybar

I just upgraded to a 60x18x14 (65gal) with 40 gallon sump...so...105 total volume.

I have a Tunze 3152 just sitting here unopened and was wondering what the issue would be in using it in the sump area?

smeagol108

None that I see either. I know with like the hydor smart level it needs to fill up within ten minutes or an alarm goes off cause it thinks your reservoir is empty or something isn't working. So when moving from a small tank to a big tank, you just have to size the top off pump properly. Like I use a tom's aqualifter currently on a six gallon tank (it only does like 3 gallons an hour I think, lol. If I were to get a bigger tank, I would need to get a bigger pump so it would fill within the appropriate fill time. I am not familiar with the Tunze, but maybe if it works similar to the hydor and having a limit on the fill time, that would be the only variable to adjust which would be pump size.

None that I see either. I know with like the hydor smart level it needs to fill up within ten minutes or an alarm goes off cause it thinks your reservoir is empty or something isn't working. So when moving from a small tank to a big tank, you just have to size the top off pump properly. Like I use a tom's aqualifter currently on a six gallon tank (it only does like 3 gallons an hour I think, lol. If I were to get a bigger tank, I would need to get a bigger pump so it would fill within the appropriate fill time. I am not familiar with the Tunze, but maybe if it works similar to the hydor and having a limit on the fill time, that would be the only variable to adjust which would be pump size.

very good point.

jamescstein

fyi, my wife has an aqua lifter on her 165g system. Plenty fast enough. She goes through about 6 gallons of RO a week.

tjwaggoner

The nano Osmolator 3152 lacks the optical sensor as a secondary fail safe. In place of a mechanical fail safe it has computer logic that shuts the pump off after either 1.8 or 3 minutes (set by adjusting jumpers inside the unit) which will only allow the pump to run for a max of 3 min. So if you evaporate at a rate faster than the metering pump will pump in 3 min (no idea what that is) it won't work for you. Otherwise should be fine. Pump will just run a lot

Archived