Top Shelf Aquatics

***Aquatic Style Nano update 27/5/15***

Kyleqb

Hi all :)

Update on my aquatic style Nano 20Gallon,

*Currently been running for about 6 weeks, had fish in for about 2 weeks (3 green chromis)

*No corals yet waiting for the tank to mature a bit more - few more weeks maybe??

*Water Quality: Salifert

PH: 7.8-8

NH4: 0

Nitrite: 0

NO3: 2ppm

PO4: 0ppm

*Cyano spots are on the dry rock and sand pretty much everywhere but can see unless you go very close and look for it, there is 0 hair algae.

*have started doing Daily water changes entering my 7th day, 2L (2.5%) daily + one 10L (12%) monthly with Vacuuming.

*2 days ago I got a piece of live rock encrusted with Coralline form my LFS to seed my tank for Coralline (front piece of rock in picture). I will be removing this piece of rock after my tank is seeded - not sure how long??

Given my test results being ok I was going to start a small maintenance dose of vodka but not sure if I should??

cheers

Kyleqb

post-87658-0-85636100-1432698165_thumb.jpg

post-87658-0-30016700-1432698185_thumb.jpg

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2008-08/nftt/index.php

However, you really don't have much a nutrient problem at this point.

Hi seabass :)

I have done a s&$t load of research on carbon dosing.

Even in the link you attached it said once levels are undetectable keep up a daily maintenance dose. So due to my tank being relatively clean wouldn't it make sense to start a maintenance dose and keep it small to keep levels at zero. Look I'm not gonna just jump in its just a thought :)

Are you thinking of keeping a SPS dominated tank? Obviously they will benefit the most from a ULN system. Are you planning to feed your tank and dose amino acids as well?

I'm not saying that carbon dosing should be avoided, or even debating if you need higher nutrient levels before starting. However most articles that I've read determine the maintenance dosage by watching for a drop in nutrient levels. I suppose you could start with 0.05ml a day and adjust it higher if nutrient levels increase.

Are you thinking of keeping a SPS dominated tank? Obviously they will benefit the most from a ULN system. Are you planning to feed your tank and dose amino acids as well?

I'm not saying that carbon dosing should be avoided, or even debating if you need higher nutrient levels before starting. However most articles that I've read determine the maintenance dosage by watching for a drop in nutrient levels. I suppose you could start with 0.05ml a day and adjust it higher if nutrient levels increase

Yes will be planning on keeping SPS/LPS

what you said I exactly what I meant - starting really really low and keeping it their until nutrients rise. carbon dosing has its risks but with my nutrient levels are close to zero keeping a dose going of say 0.05ml shouldn't hurt

What skimmer is that.

not sure its branded the same as the tank "aquatic Style" its a generic design. same as the aqua one pro skim elite or SWC 120 xtreme.

it puts out 1100lph around bout 400-500lph air. its pretty good but am thinking out going for maybe something even more compact.

maybe a Tunze? just a research point im pretty happy with my current skimmer.

Archived