Coral Vue Hydros

The Edge of Darkness

thecoralbeauty

thecoralbeauty

pointed the 420 up towards the hole in the top- it stopped blowing around sand that way and the air bubbles aren't such a big issue. added bonus- mad rippling light effects!!

So, i've heard a lot of debate whether or not using live sand and rock and water from an already-established tank is considered ok, or if it still needs to cycle.

I'm planning on checking out the LFS this weekend and if I see something that fits in this tank, I may purchase. By my thinking, live sand, live rock, and at least 50% established water is effectively the same thing as a water change... but i also am a fan of playing things safe. I've let it sit and adjust to itself several days, and the snails I put in there yesterday are happy and doing well. decisions, decisions!

Also, smeagol is sending me cool lighting stuff and should be here by next week, so that crazy ripple effect will look even better in awesome colors!

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HarryPotter

now has:

turbo snails (2)

asterina snails (4)

copepods and phytoplankton (for seeding)

live rock and live sand... but hey, i'm antsy to get the show on the road. hoping this will be a fast and easy cycle!

smeagol- pm'ing you now.

Check out "Waterproof RGB led strips"

They are exactly what you are looking for! Has millions of color combos as well, and programmable patterns!

thecoralbeauty

So, I ended up with a sun coral.... and a pearly jawfish at a price i've never seen before and in really great heath.

Already so beautiful!

thecoralbeauty

Thank you!! it's such a gorgeous pop of color!! even when the lights are off but i have the main lights on in the room, the bright orange/peach/yellow really stands out. i'm in love!

the guy at the LFS was like "you realize you'll have to feed them like once a week right?" and I'm like "psssh, i'll probably feed every other day at least." he gives me this weird look like "don't you have anything better to do, lady?" haha.

Thank you! I've always admired them but was too chicken to put them in my mixed reef for lack of decent space for them. The orange ones remind me of an underwater torch, but purple is my favorite color... so why not both??

The real issue is being able to get in there to target feed like I'll need to. Maybe I'll place them all within baster-reach... or I guess when I cycle I can see how well broadcast feeding would potentially work.

My husband has the 6 gal fluval edge and set it up as a "monster" tank. We've got some hermits, hitchhiker crabs from my BC and some RFAs in there. We moved the rock scape around as reaching around to target feed the RFAs was getting difficult so now we can reach everything. I started using "Julian's Thing" to feed and it made it a lot easier since that thing makes it really easy to maneuver around the fluval. Can't wait to see what you do with this!

Water is slowly clearing, and Duke posed with the tank on the momentous occasion!

IMG_2681_zpslqxvqaur.jpg

That's some awesome scale right there. The tank is so little :).
HarryPotter

Hey mswhitelock!

I was just at my uncles house and snapped a picture of his tube anemone for you. It's in a shady spot, and he feeds it ghost shrimp twice a week.

127C6A29-B0A1-4DA0-9FB1-1830DDEE523D_zps

thecoralbeauty

I got a beautiful lavender tube anemone with green oral tentacles. it's absolutely stunning. working on a full tank shot for y'all and will upload more photos of the nem here in a bit- but i'm most worried about how he's doing. he won't accept the mysis and arctic copepod mix i've been squirting in his mouth.

he rolls it around and gets it all full of mucous and then lets it roll out of his mouth. i suck it up in the baster, put it back in there, and it happens again.

i'm hoping he's just stressed. it's hard finding any reading on why tube anemones won't eat.... any help is appreciated.

HarryPotter

I got a beautiful lavender tube anemone with green oral tentacles. it's absolutely stunning. working on a full tank shot for y'all and will upload more photos of the nem here in a bit- but i'm most worried about how he's doing. he won't accept the mysis and arctic copepod mix i've been squirting in his mouth.

he rolls it around and gets it all full of mucous and then lets it roll out of his mouth. i suck it up in the baster, put it back in there, and it happens again.

i'm hoping he's just stressed. it's hard finding any reading on why tube anemones won't eat.... any help is appreciated.

I fed it half of a frozen shrimp, and that's what he feeds it too. They are like 1 inch long, so I break it in half, defrost in tank water, and put it right in

Oh and YAY MORGAN YOU PLAY CELLO! I've played viola for like 7 years and love it!

thecoralbeauty

nevermind. he finally did accept a single mysis shrimp. I think maybe it was too big of a glob of food all at once. so delicate!! I'll just have to feed him one mysis at a time...

if he does well i'll go back for the pink/orange with green oral tentacles. they're so beautiful!!

Photos:

IMG_2795_zpseem4xcxr.jpg

IMG_2794_zpsl7zsn59h.jpg

IMG_2793_zpsldkkv75a.jpg

IMG_2791_zpshr6yuqkf.jpg

IMG_2787_zpsmwlv3wdp.jpg

I fed it half of a frozen shrimp, and that's what he feeds it too. They are like 1 inch long, so I break it in half, defrost in tank water, and put it right in
Oh and YAY MORGAN YOU PLAY CELLO! I've played viola for like 7 years and love it!

um. how is it that you know i play cello? i think i may have mentioned it on here but now i'm wondering if i did?? hmm.

thecoralbeauty

aahhhh HE JUST ATE A HUGE BLOB OF MYSIS!!! Like 8 of them. Phew!!!

ah this is so exciting. I love love love my 20 long and everything, but this tube them and the sun coral... ugh why did i never do non photosynthetics before?? they're SO COOL!

Also special shout out to smeagol who mailed me his lights today- hoping they'll be here in a week and we can get some crazy mood lighting going (because the stock lighting in those photos.... *shudder*)

Morgan-I have list of the hobbies of everyone in Colorado. Even your aunt!

oh. i said it in my profile.

wow. i need more sleep.

smeagol108

This is making me want to do this to my edge when I relocate all of corals to a bigger tank in the next couple months!

thecoralbeauty

Thanks for all the compliments, guys!! I'm really happy with it so far. I just wish the little jawfish would come out... he's still hiding under the sun coral.

Excited for the lighting- I really think it will make it pop!

Archived