Pod Your Reef

LED build

Halo_003

jedimasterben

I have another question. I have the 12 wire multicable to supply the 4 channels power and the fan power, What would be the best way to connect the wires from that to the wires in the fixture? To be honest I was thinking a custom PCB would be the way to go. Basically just have a POWER IN side and a POWER OUT side with connections for 6 channels (future proofing) and fan power. Is there an easier way to do that than ordering a custom PCB though?

The easiest way is to use a terminal block, but they cannot fit inside the housing, none that I have found, anyway. Other than that, splice the wires, or use individuals lol

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The easiest way is to use a terminal block, but they cannot fit inside the housing, none that I have found, anyway. Other than that, splice the wires, or use individuals lol

Yeah fair enough, splicing wouldn't be that bad I suppose. The biggest PITA at this point will be figuring out which wire is what in the multicable, and stripping them apart in it.

jedimasterben

Yeah fair enough, splicing wouldn't be that bad I suppose. The biggest PITA at this point will be figuring out which wire is what in the multicable, and stripping them apart in it.

Most are numbered or different colors.
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm thinking what if I order 2 more arrays and just do 5 arrays from the start? Eventually I might upgrade to the Mr. Aqua 22 gallon long, would I need 5 arrays for that or would 3 be fine? Right now my build has 3, but I have holes for 5 drilled already.

So Ben was right, my wires are numbered, I just had to strip more of the rubber layer off than I did before to find the numbers. Since my cable has 12 wires inside, one will be unused, 8 will be + and - for each channel, and 3 will be for the fan. I have 1/2" black sleeving on the way already, and just ordered a new driver box to contain the BF mini and LDD array. One day this build will be finished. One day....

Ideally, I'm shooting for about Dec 12th, that would be excellent. I'll be out of town from Dec. 26th-Jan. 7th so I'd love to have it running before then.

Why are you using three wires for your fan?

Honestly, that's a fair question. I guess just because it comes with 3 wires, a red, yellow, and black. I guess I never really gave it much thought, I only really need two lol.

The third wire is simply a tachometer, so you will really have nothing to connect it to lol

Oh well in the case I'm glad you mentioned something lol. That might have turned out to be a derp moment. :wacko:

Depending on how it's plugged in only for a moment then its an "oh $***" moment.

I had one of those once. Turns out LDD drivers don't like being run backwards but can do it. They just fail faster than a buck puck if you do.

Depending on how it's plugged in only for a moment then its an "oh $***" moment.

I had one of those once. Turns out LDD drivers don't like being run backwards but can do it. They just fail faster than a buck puck if you do.

LOL thankfully I think this just would have been a case of an extra splice for no reason and realizing later on there was nothing to connect that wire to.

jedimasterben

I've done the same thing. it's amazing how much smoke they can pack into an LDD.

• 2 weeks later...

Well so far so good. :) Today I put the fixture together (soldered everything), tomorrow I'm doing the driver box, ideally this should all be done this weekend, pics to come once our new router is here tomorrow, I killed ours today so we have no wifi.

So I put it all together today. Having a problem though, I can't get white or Royal blue to power on. UV and cyan both work on all of my LDDs. All my wiring is to the correct points.. White and Royal blue don't work on any of the LDD outputs. I don't see any visible solder bridges. BF is hooked up by ch1, ch2, ch3, ch4, and one GND. No visible damage or burns anywhere, no magic smoke. Thoughts?

Don't judge my ugly soldering too much lol. I checked with a multimeter on all of these for a solder bridge, couldn't find one. Also checked for continuity between the other end of the multicable and the power inputs and outputs on the fixture, all checked out fine. Pics of the driver/BF setup in a few.

File_000_zps9feqwgrp.jpeg

File_001_zpsof1piul8.jpeg

File_002_zpsjkw2nvyv.jpeg

File_003_zps99qzohnz.jpeg

File_004_zps4nrpgu95.jpeg

Only if it happened. :P

:lol:

jedimasterben

Everything looks like it is decently reflowed onto the boards. I would check each boards channels one by one until you find which is the problem, then heat that board on a stove top until the solder melts, then quickly remove it and let it cool, then try that board again.

Everything looks like it is decently reflowed onto the boards. I would check each boards channels one by one until you find which is the problem, then heat that board on a stove top until the solder melts, then quickly remove it and let it cool, then try that board again.

How would you recommend testing each boards channels? I have a Rapid LED moonlight driver I could use, or I can use the actual setup.

Edit: Wait you mean this might not be my fault? B)

Edit 2: Does this mean I have to buy a new array? :(

jedimasterben

How would you recommend testing each boards channels? I have a Rapid LED moonlight driver I could use, or I can use the actual setup.

1) yes :P

2) Possibly a bad array. I had two out of the 12 I bought from Dave that either had an LED missing completely or they were not flowed on properly.

Just connect the driver wires to a single channel of a single array and turn it on, if it comes on, then move on to the next.

It is very rare now for a bad array to pop up. Ben had the first 12 or 50 that were made. Still test on there own but again not something normal this day and age.

-Dave

1) yes :P

2) Possibly a bad array. I had two out of the 12 I bought from Dave that either had an LED missing completely or they were not flowed on properly.

Just connect the driver wires to a single channel of a single array and turn it on, if it comes on, then move on to the next.

Can do, I'm planning to just that moonlight driver for simplicity, would that be okay? I think it would be fastest that way.

It is very rare now for a bad array to pop up. Ben had the first 12 or 50 that were made. Still test on there own but again not something normal this day and age.

-Dave

Interesting, I will let you know what I find during testing.

Checking right now, first array both White and RB are perfect and holy they are bright af. Moving to check Array 2 now.

Edit: all 3 arrays are fine on every channel. Now what? Check wiring?

Archived