Cultivated Reef

No idea what they are or if they are good?

akish5

I have 3 of these in my tank that came on the live rock. Are they bad to have in the tank? They haven't caused any trouble yet. I just want to know if I need to get rid of them. If so what is the best way to get them out of my tank?

post-87286-0-60004200-1432493757_thumb.jpg

post-87286-0-01873000-1432493769_thumb.jpg

FlowerMama

Agree, curlique anemones. You probably don't need 3. The first one too is the same thing. They have a larger central disc. I have one that started small and is now the size of an orange. It did sting my rock flower anemone but my nem made the smart move and moved. it's in the back side of my tank. Since it's a tank full of anemones I don't mind it being there. I don't feed it at all and it grows so low maintenance. But yes, it will sting nearby things so you can move the rock to a small nano or do the $1 sale at Petco and get a $10g and just put all your pests in it.

I think it might be aptasia or curlique anemones I'm not sure. I'm thinking aptasia X or maybe getting some peppermint shrimp and see if they will eat them...I want them gone because they are close to my corals and leather and don't want them to get hurt or worse. I do have a skunk cleaner in the tank. Will they get along with peppermint shrimp??

Pinner Reef

To get rid of the little ones go with standard Aiptasia removal techniques. The bigger one will probably have to be manually removed.

rone_kevin66

Why kill something that hasn't done anything. They are not Aiptasia. If you don't like them just remove them and trade them

Why kill something that hasn't done anything. They are not Aiptasia. If you don't like them just remove them and trade them

If they are not aiptasia then what are they? And what would be a good way to remove them from the rocks without causing any damage to them?

I'm assuming it's florida live rock, correct?

Yes it did come from florida

Pinner Reef

The only reason I said he should kill the small ones is that many people will only recognize them as Aiptasia. The bigger one is clearly a Curly Cue and at that size probably wouldn't die from Aptaisa X treatment anyway. Best bet there is offering it to the LFS or local Classifieds and maybe try to get $5 out of i; I'd just post it free to a good home.

rone_kevin66

The only reason I said he should kill the small ones is that many people will only recognize them as Aiptasia. The bigger one is clearly a Curly Cue and at that size probably wouldn't die from Aptaisa X treatment anyway. Best bet there is offering it to the LFS or local Classifieds and maybe try to get $5 out of i; I'd just post it free to a good home.

+1 on curly for the second on. 1st one looks like some sort of glass nem. Either sell the rock they are on or try to piss it off in a container with lost of flow so it will let go and move around.

FlowerMama

2nd one is definitely curlique. And the baby definitely has the same pattern in her tentacles. Here's a vid of mine when it was smaller. I can't find the pic I had of it when it was a baby, but it was like the first pic.

rone_kevin66

2nd one is definitely curlique. And the baby definitely has the same pattern in her tentacles. Here's a vid of mine when it was smaller. I can't find the pic I had of it when it was a baby, but it was like the first pic.

I have never seen a baby curly but I'll take your word seems like you have a lot of experience with them :)
Pinner Reef

Uh no. they are Heteractis aurora.

Swing and a miss

Heteractis aurora.

Heteractis%20aurora%20S.%20Leyte%20(3).J

Bartholomea annulata

22003_0510_110926aa_1.jpg

There is no such thing as a curlycue anything!!*!* I already posted what it is.

Latin Nazi :P

Curlycue is annoying common name that only causes confusion.using scientific names alleviates the confusion. if you want to use a common name, I suppose you can called it a beaded anemone.

If you look at the tentacles you'll notice it does not look like Bartholomea annulata. keep in mind you only posted photos of two specimens that you found in a Google search. we all know those can't be relied upon 100%.

There is no such thing as a curlycue anything!!*!* I already posted what it is.

How can you say they don't exist. http://www.thatpetplace.com/Bartholomea-annulata-curlycue-anemone-208778 link to them and if you Google them you get them. Just like the second pic

Curlycue is annoying common name that only causes confusion.using scientific names alleviates the confusion. if you want to use a common name, I suppose you can called it a beaded anemone.

If you look at the tentacles you'll notice it does not look like Bartholomea annulata. keep in mind you only posted photos of two specimens that you found in a Google search. we all know those can't be relied upon 100%.

The second photo:

It is a Bartholomea annulata. Common name are ringed and corkscrew anemone. The name Curlyque has started to gain popularity as a common name. I prefer corckscrew.

If you want to properly identify this anemone just narrow it down. As I asked earlier to OP what type of live rock was purchased. OP responded it was from Florida. As we all know pertains to the western tropical Atlantic. Eliminating any possibility of an anemone from the Indo-Pacific such as the Heteractis aurora . Simple enough.

Then once you have narrowed down a particular region of ocean then you list all possible anemones in that area. Lastly look at physical comparisons of each anemone and making an educated choice.

So the OP does have a Bartholomea annulata.

Pinner Reef

using scientific names alleviates the confusion.

Assuming you get the name correct. :rolleyes:

And yeah, I just grabbed two pics from google that best represented the species I was attempting to direct the OP's research toward. So sue me

neuwave did it best ;)

the reason I'm not convinced it's a Bartholomea annulata is because the tentacles are not transparent. There are several anemones in the family Aiptasiidae, a lot of which can look the same, but b. annulata has transparent tentacles.

the reason I'm not convinced it's a Bartholomea annulata is because the tentacles are not transparent. There are several anemones in the family Aiptasiidae, a lot of which can look the same, but b. annulata has transparent tentacles.

Transparency of the tentacles should not be a major factor in distinguishing this anemone. The Bartholomea annulata has a number of brown/white/grey variations. The transparency of the tentacles can vary so I wouldn't use that as a defining factor. For physical factors the shape the tentacles would be more useful. The rings on the annulata bow in and out like a sine curve. The tentacles on a aurora extend out and pronounced. Also the Heteractis aurora has a mouth with an open space on its disk. Which is why one of its common names is the flat anemone. It compresses most of its body against the reef or sand we. The annulata tentacles overlaps and hides its mouth. Allowing its tenacles to flow outward to catch prey. As per the photo the tentacles are surroundings its mouth and the tentacles and disk are not compressed against the rock surface.

Hope this helps.

H. auroras has transparent tentacles, regardless of color. the photo posted does not appear to have transparent tentacles, when viewing on my phone. Do you know how many anemone has inflated rings? a lot. so I agree the tentacles alone shouldn't be a determining factor. One could argue that an abundant pressence of nutrients could cause an explosion of zoox, which would turn the tentacles Brown. but if that were th case the rings should also turn a shade of brown.

Archived