Pod Your Reef

Why is my Torch so Chodal?

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

It's a torch, just a thick tentacle variety.

Look closely at this old picture of my 46, right side, half way up, my gold torch soon after I got it.

Now look at it a few weeks ago. This is exactly the kind of torch you want, nice and compact. Now look under the rock at the HUGE green torch I have stuck in the back of the tank. This is as big as my 29 gallon, and a fast grower. I took a few smaller heads and put it in my 29 and it shrunk up with thinner tentacles and smaller heads. Not sure why. :)

Right side

Interesting! So you're saying its just how the torch is reacting to its environment? As in it can change when neccesary?

Either way, sounds like I just should leave the coral alone and see how it changes over time. Torch or grape, it needs some growth time!

clownfitch

I have noticed with all of the different types of torch corals that I have kept, medium light with moderate indirect flow place them and then don't touch them. Gradually the tentacles extend out to the point that it looks like the very tips might tear off but don't of course. If after a few weeks your torch hasn't extended then you likely don't have enough flow around it.

HarryPotter

I have noticed with all of the different types of torch corals that I have kept, medium light with moderate indirect flow place them and then don't touch them. Gradually the tentacles extend out to the point that it looks like the very tips might tear off but don't of course. If after a few weeks your torch hasn't extended then you likely don't have enough flow around it.

It's been a few days, and it looks the same. There is nice flow there- erratic as well.

I'll take a pic when I get home and post it here

• 2 weeks later...
HarryPotter

So heres an update- nothing much has changed.

The "Mystery Coral" has some tentacles that are split, leading me to consider that it may be an octospawn or something.

Heres how it looks after a week of peace- pretty much the same! The hell is that?

IMG_1199_zpsminofbp5.jpg

Cencalfishguy56

So heres an update- nothing much has changed.

The "Mystery Coral" has some tentacles that are split, leading me to consider that it may be an octospawn or something.

Heres how it looks after a week of peace- pretty much the same! The hell is that?

IMG_1199_zpsminofbp5.jpg

That's not a torch lol that's a frogspawn

HarryPotter

Cute little frog/onto spawn. It'll be fine don't touch it

That's not a torch lol that's a frogspawn

Lol it was almost dead when I bought it ($4.99) and sold as a "Torch"! Whoops!

Cencalfishguy56

Lol it was almost dead when I bought it ($4.99) and sold as a "Torch"! Whoops!

Looks purple with green tips awesome man lol

HarryPotter

Looks purple with green tips awesome man lol

Hmm its more tan with yellow tips in reality- FREAKKKKYYYYYY

Its been like this for over a month dude.... even before the upgrade.

What do you think is wrong? The frag came with two heads, but I had to cut one off as it was gone w. brown goo. This head looks pretty clean, and I dipped it twice two weeks ago.

Its just the polyps won't properly extend like normal LPS, and it has strange RED growths on its skeleton.

Archived