Cultivated Reef

Why is my Torch so Chodal?

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

So I bought a torch for $4.99 (LFS Rescue- fragged a head) and it's so... Chodal!

I wanted long tentacles waving in the flow, but only have these stubby 1" tentacles. Why?!?!?

My FrogSpawn has longer PE than the torch!

ReefSafeSolutions

Maybe it's just a different variety? At my local fish store they have a bunch of different torches with a variety of tentacle lengths, but I don't know what kind of varieties they were.

righttirefire

My torch varies... it has beautiful long extension during the day... it'll retract to just knubs at lights out and extend to less than 1" during the night... and 1 hour after lights on its big a beautiful again... but it took 2-3 weeks to get totally acclimated and happy

Hahaha, chodal? I was like WTF? and now I'm like Ohhh.... :eek:

Anyways, depends on what the frag was like... $5 for a torch? If I paid that where I live I wouldn't expect the frag to live hahaha... !

So not sure what to say w/out a pic but I would confirm that what you have is actually a torch and then give it some time and give it the best water quality possible.

Finally, do you know why it was fragged? You mentioned a rescue - but from what? You should be very careful introducing corals like that into your tank. If it were taken from a colony that died you could potentially introduce pathogens into your tank...

Post a pic and good luck.

HarryPotter

Maybe it's just a different variety? At my local fish store they have a bunch of different torches with a variety of tentacle lengths, but I don't know what kind of varieties they were.

I will post pictures later- it seems to be just a typical torch...

My torch varies... it has beautiful long extension during the day... it'll retract to just knubs at lights out and extend to less than 1" during the night... and 1 hour after lights on its big a beautiful again... but it took 2-3 weeks to get totally acclimated and happy

Interesting. Does the extension have to do with the amount of light it gets?

Hahaha, chodal? I was like WTF? and now I'm like Ohhh.... :eek:

Anyways, depends on what the frag was like... $5 for a torch? If I paid that where I live I wouldn't expect the frag to live hahaha... !

So not sure what to say w/out a pic but I would confirm that what you have is actually a torch and then give it some time and give it the best water quality possible.

Finally, do you know why it was fragged? You mentioned a rescue - but from what? You should be very careful introducing corals like that into your tank. If it were taken from a colony that died you could potentially introduce pathogens into your tank...

Post a pic and good luck.

My LFS has a hospital section where damaged coral is. I frequently go there and get dying coral, quarantine/dip, and nurture them back to health. Over 50% of my corals, including the beautiful trachphyllia and zoa colony are from there.

It was a three headed torch for &69.99, but two heads died in brown goo. The third was fine, so I used the dremel and took the healthy head.

Of coarse I was careful: multiple dips and quarantines.

Updated picture to say when I get hone

righttirefire

20150525_145355_zps6gmhazr4.jpg

This is my torch full open right now

20150522_105711_zpspotwhsek.jpg

this was at first light last thursday... my clown goby...

20150313_131300_zps7eun2rof.jpg

this was 6 weeks ago

But you can see the extension change...

SeventyTimes7

Mine was short and fat when I first got it. But now it's starting to become thinner and stretch out.

HarryPotter

could also be a grape coral. ;)

Wut?

When I got home (From 3 day vacation) I immediately had to clean up the diatom bloom, so bothered the "Torch". Ill get a picture later today- promise!

CosmicCanine
HarryPotter
HarryPotter

Looks like it to me too! pretty unique!

Heres some more photos! Que piensas? (What do you think?)

IMG_0629_zpsxdcxrohk.jpgIMG_0628_zpsjcqej3e0.jpg

HarryPotter

Whatever it is its stressed, that's for sure.

Yeah this was after a tank cleaning- pretty pissed at me.

It doesn't get longer than it was in the original picture though!

(And not "too" stressed- no? It's flesh is still over the skeleton!)

CosmicCanine

Yeah this was after a tank cleaning- pretty pissed at me.

It doesn't get longer than it was in the original picture though!

(And not "too" stressed- no? It's flesh is still over the skeleton!)

if you dont touch it or move it or change flow or lighting. IMO itll take a few weeks for it to stretch.

HarryPotter

if you dont touch it or move it or change flow or lighting. IMO itll take a few weeks for it to stretch.

I will mount it w. glue and see how it does :)

That might be it- I've never mounted it, so perhaps all the movement and changing conditions is inhibiting its PE.

CosmicCanine

Apology if this is off topic, but Righttirefire my lights are off and you should see the sweepers on this todds torch i got today. probably 5+ inches long. i wish my camera would focus but it sucks in the dark. stupid nikons.

HarryPotter

Apology if this is off topic, but Righttirefire my lights are off and you should see the sweepers on this todds torch i got today. probably 5+ inches long. i wish my camera would focus but it sucks in the dark. stupid nikons.

Haha no problem- we can always change this to TOPIC TIME: TORCHES :)

Lets see! I want more Todds Torches!

It's a torch, just a thick tentacle variety.

Look closely at this old picture of my 46, right side, half way up, my gold torch soon after I got it. August, 2013.

ghbq.jpg

Now look at it a few weeks ago. This is exactly the kind of torch you want, nice and compact. Now look under the rock at the HUGE green torch I have stuck in the back of the tank. This is as big as my 29 gallon, and a fast grower.

nRIXDx.jpg

I took a few smaller heads and put it in my 29 and it shrunk up with thinner tentacles and smaller heads. Not sure why. :)

Right side

JjpqcI.jpg

Archived