Cultivated Reef

Help! Lucinda is jumping!

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

So for the transition to the new tank I had to remove Lucinda, my 3" T. Maxima clam from her rock.

I successfully did so, and only a few ripped byssal threads were apparent. However, now she won't stay put!

I think her spot might have too much lighting, but she is nice and open. However whenever I check, she's jumped onto the sand bed! Help!

Is she just going through a rebellious stage? Should I put her lower? Get a clam hammock?

HarryPotter

Leave her be

Well I can't leave her face down in the sand! She'll get an infection probably.

She's been in the same spot for the last 24 hours or so, and was extended this morning. I'm just a worried reefer

Ankle weights bro she wont jump again jkjkjk

But I normally use a breeder net or a qt tank if shes hurt.

Edit:

For some reason when you said lucinda jumped I just assumed it was a fish.

I just saw its a clam. so ignore what I said lol

HarryPotter

Ankle weights bro she wont jump again jkjkjk

But I normally use a breeder net or a qt tank if shes hurt.

She's not hurt as far as I know, just hates being in tre rocks. I will try following Morgan's advice and make an epoxy stand on the sand

Clams don't like to be moved once they are attached. Let her be for now. You can try a bowl with some sand and a rock to prop her on that she can attach to. That will help to keep it from flopping over. Just make sure she can open fully. Once attached, move rock and all to a new spot.

HarryPotter

Clams don't like to be moved once they are attached. Let her be for now. You can try a bowl with some sand and a rock to prop her on that she can attach to. That will help to keep it from flopping over. Just make sure she can open fully. Once attached, move rock and all to a new spot.

I put her into a nice 4" round ceramic frag plug. This way I can move her around (if neccesary) without causing the stress that tearing the byssal threads brings.

I did this Thursday morning, and by Friday afternoon she was still upright w. a few apparent byssal threads.

I am currently away for vacation, pretty nervous. I'm crossing my fingers that she's okay!

PS: Why do clams get feminine pronouns? Or is that just me?

PS: Why do clams get feminine pronouns? Or is that just me?

Just like guitars! It's the curvy shapes. :blush:

HarryPotter

Just like guitars! It's the curvy shapes. :blush:

Aha makes sense!

Do the female and male clams look the same?

• 2 weeks later...
HarryPotter

i likemto put mine on an upside down oyster shell. Flat but curved on the sides, easy to move, and they attach well.

Thats actually a really cool idea- similar to "Clam Hammocks". Thanks :)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived