ReefCleaners.org

DIY to my own designed system. NEED FEEDBACK!

mirtnm

Murphs_Reef

[Edit 2]

Did I see a yellow tang in that video? Pretty sure a yellow tang needs a tank bigger than a 22 gallon...

Personally - I think it's very misleading regarding the water change and tang. A newbie (and I'm new to saltwater, but not to fish keeping) could and possibly will lose a number of pets and money do this this marketing. If you cntinue and I assume you will, I strongly suggest looking at how your product is viewed by a new person to the hobby. I know failure in the early stages often leads to people giving up...

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is some advice--stop the deception and lying in your marketing. Your tank design is nothing special or new. You have not come up with a novel way to eliminate water changes or even a system that is easy to maintain. You deception and lies about promises of a water change free tank will lead to new hobbyists being turned away from the hobby.

You have the ability to stop now with the way you are promoting yourself. Remove the video and take down all the lies in your marketing and website. Retool your approach. Customers are going to be searching for your company, Dokdo Tank Smart Aquarium System www.dokdotank.com and they will find forum threads such as this that are detailing the deception. Word will get around.

I'm not sure how all the crowdfunding websites work, but what happens when they find out someone is being willfully deceptive about the product they are trying to fund?

Also, stop blaming the lies on your culture and language barriers. It is an affront to your fellow Koreans.

So for me, if I wanted no hastle, I would have bought a blueray of marine life and just put it on the TV. It's a hobby not just a thing to sit and look at (well it's that actually but anyway) I like to fiddle, test, change etc etc... I don't mind "too much" about the cost of buying, media, powerhead, lighting etc.. And I prefer to buy the indavidual units after researching why I need that item, what's the best in class and so on.

I'm sure it's a great product though...

I completely agree, I admit the marketing was stated in a vague manner but my intention was to attract non-hobbyist to be able to start out with something like this and a simple method with few fish to incorporate a no wc system, but i know now that i should have considered the hobbyists interest in the product too lol i am working either gearing the entire campaign towards newbies by explaining that its for a small starter who wishes to start with less fish, etc. or just scrap the no wc method entirely and gear it towards everyone. My true passion is aquariums and would like to give the opportunity to those who dont know what its like a chance to get a cheaper and easier start so hopefully i can figure out a way to get that message out in the campaign. thank you for your kind words and if you have any more advice please let me know i need it a lot haha

Here is some advice--stop the deception and lying in your marketing. Your tank design is nothing special or new. You have not come up with a novel way to eliminate water changes or even a system that is easy to maintain. You deception and lies about promises of a water change free tank will lead to new hobbyists being turned away from the hobby.

You have the ability to stop now with the way you are promoting yourself. Remove the video and take down all the lies in your marketing and website. Retool your approach. Customers are going to be searching for your company, Dokdo Tank Smart Aquarium System www.dokdotank.com and they will find forum threads such as this that are detailing the deception. Word will get around.

I'm not sure how all the crowdfunding websites work, but what happens when they find out someone is being willfully deceptive about the product they are trying to fund?

Also, stop blaming the lies on your culture and language barriers. It is an affront to your fellow Koreans.

I am not blaming anything on anyone or anything, i am working on changing the video but i cant just take it down with nothing to replace it with. I understand your frustration, but I am doing what I can with the time I have and that is all because of people like you telling me your opinion so please stop labeling me as a liar when I am trying to fix it. I want new hobbyists to have knowledge that this system can be used with no wc when used the way I start them out with and hoped they can grow with experience and move on their own from there.

People got a little too quick on the promote part. The guy has a very clever design that I'm sure he's very proud of (I would be) and he is trying to get some opinion on it so he can become as successful as possible. A nano sized tank on a nano site, suitable if you as me.

Now I wish something like this existed when I started a few months back it would have made my learning experience a little easier.

I wish you all the luck with your project and I will keep an eye on it. I would consider!

Thank you so much for understanding! Whew it feels good that someone actually believes i am trying to do something good with this haha its my first crowdfunding campaign or just start up in general so i learned that i should have done this before but that is something i am not learning and even this experience is valuable to me to learn for my mistakes. Thank you for your kind words it gives me that much more motivation not to just give up with all the people claiming im a liar or unethical, im aquarium passionist but a newb to marketing/business trying to learn people, please try and understand where I am coming from, IM TRYING MY BEST!!

I like the idea. My suggestion would be to include a temp & pH probe with the startup package. All the controllers on the market include those 2 with a basic setup, then can add on other probes as necessary. Looks like the price of those 2 probes is pretty reasonable, but if you're advertising as an all in one with a controller, the controller will only work with the light out of the box. Also, is there room in the sump area for all the probes that can be added & also for a heater?Would be a little unsightly to have to put all that stuff in the display section.

There is room for all the probes and heater to be placed in the sump. I haven't quite worked out how I should package the probes in with the tank, seems like the biggest issue is getting rid of the video i have to get a clearer message out that it was aimed for non-hobbyists who want to start out or just take out the no wc and gear for anyone including hobbyists which i didnt do because i figured hobbyists already have the best of the best for their set ups. Idc what exactly to do but I very much appreciate your reply its helps me more than you can ever think it would!!!

I am not blaming anything on anyone or anything, i am working on changing the video but i cant just take it down with nothing to replace it with. I understand your frustration, but I am doing what I can with the time I have and that is all because of people like you telling me your opinion so please stop labeling me as a liar when I am trying to fix it. I want new hobbyists to have knowledge that this system can be used with no wc when used the way I start them out with and hoped they can grow with experience and move on their own from there.

By no means am I trying to be unethical which I why I appreciate comments made like yours. Please understand that there is a language and cultural barrier as this is my first time targeting a different country and language

So what makes this any different than all the other all in one tanks? Your filtration system is simply a skimmer, activated carbon, and some ceramic media. That's nothing new to the hobby and many people have done this before. Having that in no way results in a system that doesn't require water changes so I don't see how you can make that claim. Hell, by your logic, are you saying that any system with biological filter media, a skimmer, and activated carbon does not need water changes?

[Edit]

Oh, and I didn't see any mechanical filtration other than the skimmer. The ceramic media is going to end up clogging relatively quickly since detritus isn't being filtered out by filter floss or any sort of mechanical filtration before reaching the ceramic media.

[Edit 2]

Did I see a yellow tang in that video? Pretty sure a yellow tang needs a tank bigger than a 22 gallon...

In my opinion the fact that a beginner can start out with this set up including a controller and app that helps them easily stay updated with their take. all the pieces of the sump are easy to pull out and clean, so the ceramic media you speak of can be pulled and dumped out and rinsed off and put back in, its pretty simple. as for the mechanical filtration, i put a protein skimmer as its not meant for some big tank with a crazy complex system. for a beginner what else is need as for physical/mechanical filtration? this tank is meant from beginners to afford a tank that is in mid range level of tank systems easily with a start out of few fish and rock/coral not something high tech with all the mechanical filtrations possible bundled in so they can have the great coral reef in their living room, i admit that is my fault in not clarifying that in campaign and am working on a new video now but i cant take out the video until i have that finished so please be patient with me.

yes yellow tang, why does it need to be a 22 gallon tank?

By no means am I trying to be unethical which I why I appreciate comments made like yours. Please understand that there is a language and cultural barrier as this is my first time targeting a different country and language

I'm from and live in korea it's a pretty clear and solid statement, i was apologizing for my mistake in ethical reasoning between you and my cultures...

Murphs_Reef

seems like the biggest issue is getting rid of the video i have to get a clearer message out that it was aimed for non-hobbyists who want to start out or just take out the no wc and gear for anyone including hobbyists which i didnt do because i figured hobbyists already have the best of the best for their set ups. Idc what exactly to do but I very much appreciate your reply its helps me more than you can ever think it would!!!

Just look at rewording, instead of NO WATER CHANGES, suggest something like REDUCED or LESS FREQUENT Etc. But i would defo make sure you are not saying fill with water and forget about it..

and the probes in starter pack would make your product much stronger, even if does increase the price a little, i would be surprised if a small increase would matter to your clients..

HarryPotter

Just look at rewording, instead of NO WATER CHANGES, suggest something like REDUCED or LESS FREQUENT Etc. But i would defo make sure you are not saying fill with water and forget about it..

and the probes in starter pack would make your product much stronger, even if does increase the price a little, i would be surprised if a small increase would matter to your clients..

+1

Well said- the product and idea behind it seems great! I really like the idea- picO aquariums is coming out with a similar complete HOB filteration unit.

I agree that it just needs a few changes to become much better- change the "no water changes" and remove the tang. The product is great- the OP does not need to exaggerate or manipulate information to sell it!

In my opinion the fact that a beginner can start out with this set up including a controller and app that helps them easily stay updated with their take. all the pieces of the sump are easy to pull out and clean, so the ceramic media you speak of can be pulled and dumped out and rinsed off and put back in, its pretty simple. as for the mechanical filtration, i put a protein skimmer as its not meant for some big tank with a crazy complex system. for a beginner what else is need as for physical/mechanical filtration? this tank is meant from beginners to afford a tank that is in mid range level of tank systems easily with a start out of few fish and rock/coral not something high tech with all the mechanical filtrations possible bundled in so they can have the great coral reef in their living room, i admit that is my fault in not clarifying that in campaign and am working on a new video now but i cant take out the video until i have that finished so please be patient with me.

yes yellow tang, why does it need to be a 22 gallon tank?

A yellow tang can get up to 8" long. There is no way that a yellow tang should be put in such a small tank.

In regards to mechanical filtration, that filtration is occurring after it hits the ceramic media. Yes, ceramic media can be removed and rinsed but it's a pain to do. When it comes to maintenance, if it isn't easy to do, people will typically not want to do it. What I would suggest is to have a small tray above the filter media where the user can add filter floss. The filter floss will remove the large chunks of detritus and uneaten food before it reaches your ceramic media. By doing that, your ceramic media stays much cleaner. Filter floss is incredibly inexpensive and it only takes a few seconds to replace it.

I think it's a great idea to have all the bells and whistles for such a low price and I think that's fantastic. That should be your selling point because that doesn't really exist in the market at your price point. The issue that I have, and pretty much everyone else, is your claim that you don't need to do water changes. It does not matter if it is a new person or someone already established in the hobby, both will need to do water changes. Your claim that you don't need to do water changes is what people are so upset about because it's simply not true.

Also, your filtration system has no way of removing phosphates which will lead to algae outbreaks and frustration for the user.

I just worry that the price moving up even a little would just be such turn off though, I will consider redoing the packages again. do you have any advice on what to do with the video, i have no means to reshoot so i need to cut and edit it but i feel like there just wont be any content so im stressing out over it but i know it needs to be done some how

A yellow tang can get up to 8" long. There is no way that a yellow tang should be put in such a small tank.

In regards to mechanical filtration, that filtration is occurring after it hits the ceramic media. Yes, ceramic media can be removed and rinsed but it's a pain to do. When it comes to maintenance, if it isn't easy to do, people will typically not want to do it. What I would suggest is to have a small tray above the filter media where the user can add filter floss. The filter floss will remove the large chunks of detritus and uneaten food before it reaches your ceramic media. By doing that, your ceramic media stays much cleaner. Filter floss is incredibly inexpensive and it only takes a few seconds to replace it.

I think it's a great idea to have all the bells and whistles for such a low price and I think that's fantastic. That should be your selling point because that doesn't really exist in the market at your price point. The issue that I have, and pretty much everyone else, is your claim that you don't need to do water changes. It does not matter if it is a new person or someone already established in the hobby, both will need to do water changes. Your claim that you don't need to do water changes is what people are so upset about because it's simply not true.

Also, your filtration system has no way of removing phosphates which will lead to algae outbreaks and frustration for the user.

theres a sponge filter to help with the bigger debri. i use the led lighting scheduling to prevent significant algae growth, but a phosban (phosphate filtration) reactor for a nano tank is really necessary. I am working on fixing the no water change I think i got the picture that it upsets people haha

I just worry that the price moving up even a little would just be such turn off though, I will consider redoing the packages again. do you have any advice on what to do with the video, i have no means to reshoot so i need to cut and edit it but i feel like there just wont be any content so im stressing out over it but i know it needs to be done some how

theres a sponge filter to help with the bigger debri. i use the led lighting scheduling to prevent significant algae growth, but a phosphate reactor for a nano tank is really necessary. I am working on fixing the no water change I think i got the picture that it upsets people haha

As for the yellow tank I had it in the nano tank for a year so there is no way it would ever get that big, of course once it out grows the nano tank itll need to be moved which will take wayyyyy more years to get to that point

Murphs_Reef

So i think its robust enough to take 50 dollar uplift in price with ease. How much will the probes cost you at trade price? Even if you are passing them on at cost it it will both protect your current margin and give the client a true all in one solution.

As for the video. Drop it and use images, i dont personally watch ads, i prefer to see details in good pictures supported by the technical data sheets.

I know some like to watch video but if its not acurate anyway, its not worth having?

theres a sponge filter to help with the bigger debri. i use the led lighting scheduling to prevent significant algae growth, but a phosban (phosphate filtration) reactor for a nano tank is really necessary. I am working on fixing the no water change I think i got the picture that it upsets people haha

As for the yellow tank I had it in the nano tank for a year so there is no way it would ever get that big, of course once it out grows the nano tank itll need to be moved which will take wayyyyy more years to get to that point

Is the sponge above the ceramic media? I didn't see it in the filtration diagram on your indiegogo site. If so, then that should work just fine.

If you are setting the LED lighting schedule, does that meant that a customer won't be able to change it later on? If the customer can change the lighting schedule and intensity (they definitely should be able to) then you can't rely on that as a way to reduce algae outbreaks. Tanks will need different levels of intensity depending on the corals that they are keeping. An SPS dominant tank will obviously need way more light than a tank full of soft corals and some LPS.

Instead of adding a phosphate reactor, you could simply add GFO to the bag that already has the carbon in it. I believe Bulk Reef Supply recommends a ratio of 2 parts carbon and 1 part GFO (using their ROX carbon and high capacity GFO). By doing that, you won't have to worry about adding additional hardware and get to reduce phosphates.

In regards to the probes, you have a lot of probes. ORP and DO aren't really necessary for 99% of tanks. Temp should definitely be included with the tank. I think you could do two packages: one that is the basic package that includes the temperature probe and the pH probe and then a "Plus" package that includes the other probes as well at an increase in price.

[Edit]

In regards to the yellow tang, just because it fits in there and you've been able to raise it while it was little does not mean that it is good for the fish.

So i think its robust enough to take 50 dollar uplift in price with ease. How much will the probes cost you at trade price? Even if you are passing them on at cost it it will both protect your current margin and give the client a true all in one solution.

As for the video. Drop it and use images, i dont personally watch ads, i prefer to see details in good pictures supported by the technical data sheets.

I know some like to watch video but if its not acurate anyway, its not worth having?

Yeah I want to take it down but i just feel like its wrong to leave it blank and just pictures especially on a crowdfunding site. the probes all bundled together will be much more than $50 i cant afford to that lol i was thinking raising the package price at minimum $150 but i just dont think it would do any good by raising it that much and better to leave the probes available at the persons own choice

jedimasterben

How exactly will your 'LED lighting schedule' prevent algae?

(Keep in mind that no matter what you say, it will not.)

DurocShark

This made me giggle.

HarryPotter

This made me giggle.

Haha me too!

Well I guess the spectrum might be optimized, but if the tank is dirty algae will grow. Light or no light LOL

Murphs_Reef

to me the biggest thing would be get rid of anything that refers to no water change. Even if it leaves short term gaps in your marketing. Its about being truthful and transparent. Thats how you will make or lose money. As stated by some ohe before me, bad press travels very fast indeed over forums etc... get it right with or without probes and other fancy bits and your going to be ok.

In short cut the crap

Wow I go to bed and wake up and lots of people (some who I thought were better than that) are seriously just coming in here and bearing their fangs out the gate.

Seriously, NR is supposed to be better than this.

Murphs_Reef

Wow I go to bed and wake up and lots of people (some who I thought were better than that) are seriously just coming in here and bearing their fangs out the gate.

Seriously, NR is supposed to be better than this.

just trying to be helpful

HarryPotter

Helpfulness is often obscured by aggressiveness. You need to be polite and positive as well- not only critical and discouraging

smeagol108

Agree with previous poster that we need to be helpful. This guy came on here asking for advice and many people are just downright rude. I haven't been on this forum long, but lately I have noticed a lot of negativity from the forum and it's not necessary to be negative and agressive to have a constructive conversation.

I like the tank idea, and the packages. I agree I don't understand how you can tell a newbie they don't need water changes. That part didn't make sense to me, but that's why he came here to get our feedback. Not to rip him a new one. Only the most experienced and established tanks that dose are the ones I know that can truly have no water changes. And that is very hard to accomplish.

To op, nice vision and setup I think you will do great with some of the feedback here. To the rest of NR, everyone take a chill pill, we are here to learn and help eachother not jump down eachothers throats.

Murphs_Reef

Agree with previous poster that we need to be helpful. This guy came on here asking for advice and many people are just downright rude. I haven't been on this forum long, but lately I have noticed a lot of negativity from the forum and it's not necessary to be negative and agressive to have a constructive conversation.

I like the tank idea, and the packages. I agree I don't understand how you can tell a newbie they don't need water changes. That part didn't make sense to me, but that's why he came here to get our feedback. Not to rip him a new one. Only the most experienced and established tanks that dose are the ones I know that can truly have no water changes. And that is very hard to accomplish.

To op, nice vision and setup I think you will do great with some of the feedback here. To the rest of NR, everyone take a chill pill, we are here to learn and help eachother not jump down eachothers throats.

So if you re-read through, most actually where helpful? I can't see a lot of negative posting here?

HarryPotter

I agree. I really feel like moderators need to be more active, warning those who are aggressive to calm down.

Are there even any moderators here? How many?

Murphs_Reef

Haha me too!

Well I guess the spectrum might be optimized, but if the tank is dirty algae will grow. Light or no light LOL

You where part of the less helpful... anyway... moving on

Archived