Top Shelf Aquatics

Tarnax's Fluval Spec V

tarnax

Hello all!

After two years of reading on these forums and reading articles about what it takes to run a nano reef I've decided to slowly start buying the equipment I need and I finally have everything together and started!

Current FTS 5/20/15:

V01XAu8.jpg

You can follow my imgur album that I will constantly update here: http://imgur.com/a/V1xHb#qqFBjY2

Equipment:

Tank: Fluval Spec V

• InTank Media basket and Skimmer
  • Koralia Nano 240
  • Lower slit is glued shut
  • Current USA Orbit Marine LED 18-24in
  • Red Sea Marine Testing kit

Filtration:

• 7 pounds live sand
  • 5.4 pounds live rock
  • filter floss
  • chemipure elite
  • purigen
  • possibly GFO

Livestock:

• none as of yet, tank is still cycling

Tank was initially setup on 5/19/15

I'll keep updating through here and over on pico reefs!

Got a new toy in! This will help me keep the stability I need out of this tank allowing it to be way less stress during school time! This unit also had exactly what I was wanting. The sensor fits right behind the nozzle from the filtration area. Super smooth and sleek design! This tank is way way spoiled.

ebVByOV.jpg?1

Here's a top down shot! I have all the equipment on and now I'm just waiting on my test kit and fish food so I can ghost feed with something that's not mysis shrimp! Once I'm back from NY I think I'll be able to get my first fish! TWvemL8.jpg

Ive always found The Spec V to be very intriguing! cant wait to see whats instore

I've always loved the look of them! There's a lot more space in them than what you might actually think!!

In other news if you look at the fourth picture (top down) in the media section of the filter there's bubbles, anyone know how to get rid of them? If I push them into water it seems to work. I'm wondering if they're just from when I was messing with the powerhead and it caught some air and caused those bubbles?

Hey everyone! I think I'm getting ready for fish in about a week. I'm getting my test kit while I'm away on vacation so I'm just ghost feeding until then. My question now is acclimation. I know it's mandatory but I've heard of many different ways and the "right way" when it comes to saltwater tanks.

Drip acclimation: common sense how to do (to me at least) float for temp then drip for matching the params.

My question is, I've read about people only floating their new livestock for temp then putting them straight into the tank (yes, I'm talking about SW people doing this) and their livestock all did well and healthy. But I know this is often frowned upon. My question to yall is what is your preferred method? I'm expecting drip all the way and I know that nothing good in this hobby happens fast but drip acclimation from what I've read, on paper is a bad idea. Since I do plan on going with drip acclimation my next question is this, would it be bad to use water change water to acclimate with? as in do water change> float live stock> drip from water change water or is this a bad idea as well?

Cencalfishguy56

Hey everyone! I think I'm getting ready for fish in about a week. I'm getting my test kit while I'm away on vacation so I'm just ghost feeding until then. My question now is acclimation. I know it's mandatory but I've heard of many different ways and the "right way" when it comes to saltwater tanks.

Drip acclimation: common sense how to do (to me at least) float for temp then drip for matching the params.

My question is, I've read about people only floating their new livestock for temp then putting them straight into the tank (yes, I'm talking about SW people doing this) and their livestock all did well and healthy. But I know this is often frowned upon. My question to yall is what is your preferred method? I'm expecting drip all the way and I know that nothing good in this hobby happens fast but drip acclimation from what I've read, on paper is a bad idea. Since I do plan on going with drip acclimation my next question is this, would it be bad to use water change water to acclimate with? as in do water change> float live stock> drip from water change water or is this a bad idea as well?

Don't waste your time floating, remember the fish are stressed and will produce ammonia, the faster you get them in the tank the better, I just drop acclimate it will match temp ph and salinity

Drip

Don't waste your time floating, remember the fish are stressed and will produce ammonia, the faster you get them in the tank the better, I just drop acclimate it will match temp ph and salinity

Drip

alright good to know! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Here's a current FTS from after my week away in NY.

3BQtMu8.jpg?1

With a small hair algae outbreak I have a feeling my cycle is over or nearing completion. Will yall let me know what you think my tests are reading? I think it's showing 0 across the board but I'm iffy on Ammonia.

Ammonia

6FwfgUG.jpg?1

Nitrite

5PA77ab.jpg?3

Nitrate

6UHAj3w.jpg?1

If it's all going well like I think it I'll be ordering my CUC on Thursday. Meaning I might not get them until Monday :( I'm ready to start getting things in my tank but I'm ok with taking it slow! Makes it a bit easier on my wallet.

• 2 weeks later...

So I'm finally getting my CUC today. Took longer to order than what I had hoped. I'm getting a frag of GSP tomorrow and I'm wanting to put it on my middle rock but I'm still having a problem on it with some hair algae. I was going to take the rock out and scrub it with a tooth brush but I'm wondering how do I get it back down to the glass? I know it's not the best idea to have LR sitting on the sand.

Archived