Innovative Marine Aquariums

[RETIRED] Bedroom Pico 5.5 Gallons of Dry Tank

DurocShark

DurocShark

Took the tank down this week, moved the critters to the 70.

I'd like to say it's because I'm building the 17, but the real reason is that piece of shit Penn Plaxx canister. It can't stop sucking air. Since it's right next to my bed, this wasn't going to work.

I'm going to fire up the old 9g again to use as my QT tank, with the cheap Chinese canister and everything.

FTS 9/20/15:

uKMfzOM.jpg

I guess it's time to start a thread for this.

I have a 5.5 gallon AGA tank that I'm setting up for my desk at work. When it's stocked, I expect a string of people coming into my office to check it out. Sigh. Oh well...

Equipment:

• 5.5 Gallon Aqueon (AGA) glass box with frames and everything.
  • Penn Plax Cascade 500 Canister Filter
  • Surface skimmer attachment for canister
  • Wave-Point 12in 16W Super Blue/ Daylight clamp LED light
  • Dry rock from reefcleaners
  • Dry aragonite sand

Livestock ideas:

• GSP
  • Pulsing Xenia
  • Rock nems
  • One "star" piece of something. It can't grow too big though, so I haven't decided on what
  • CUC
  • Sexy Shrimp
  • Porcelain crab
  • MAYBE a tiny fish, not decided. This tank is awfully small for a fish.

I've had good luck with a canister on my 9 gallon tank, so I went with another one. This was cheap and had the quick releases so I don't make as much of a mess in my office (thereby saving having the owner of the company getting pissed at me). I'll fill it the same way as the other one, with filter floss, Purigen, and carbon.

The light isn't super bright, so I may end up shoving a blue stunner in there. I'll check it out when it's cycling. There's places I can fit 2 stunner strips if needed. I will need to trim the tank's frame for the light's clamps, they're thin assuming a frameless tank.

I'll probably seed the rock with some live rock from my 9g or if I get that far with my 70 by that point, with some aquacultured rock rubble and some live sand from Florida.

At this moment, the tank is in my living room with the canister hooked up and treated tap water running through it to test for leaks and issues. So far the only issue is the stupid surface skimmer. It can't handle jack shit for flow. The strainer cup sucks down into the device at more than 10% of the canister's flow. That's maybe ok, but I'm not happy. I'm going to play with it and see if some fine tuning will help, or I'll glue some pieces of foam to the bottom to help keep it held up high.

FTS dry, on the stand for my 70 gallon tank:

AugOEOc.jpg

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 5.5 gallon EcoPico on my desk at work for a while. You'll be surprised how much you can cram in there, and all the cool options available to you. I ran mine without any mechanical filtration. Being that small you can do pretty well with just weekly water changes of about a gallon or two.

DurocShark

There's something about the insanely crystal clear water in a small tank that you can only get with filtration... ;) Plus, can't have any stinky. Not in my little office that has the door closed as often as not.

Because of how low the flow has to be through the canister, I may add my Hydor nano powerhead from my 9 and put the Jebao back in.

I hear ya... as long as you can figure out what to do with the hoses. A small circ pump should be fine for that tank, and if you find that your light's not enough, the PAR38 bulbs out there are pretty bad-ass!

Looking forward to seeing what you put together!

DurocShark

Water! (Treated tap water, but still...)

RBf56Zc.jpg

With the canister:

4wnaebH.jpg

In that first pic, you can kinda see the surface skimmer I got. It's this one. I guess for $7 I can't expect too much. But it just can't handle any flow at all. I've been tweaking the flow at the canister and the skimmer, and there's little I can do to get it to work. Sigh.

I'm not sure what you mean by surface skimmer attached to the canister filter. Are you just looking to have something that keeps the scum off the top of the water?

DurocShark

I'm not sure what you mean by surface skimmer attached to the canister filter. Are you just looking to have something that keeps the scum off the top of the water?

Exactly. The link I posted will take you to it on Amazon.

Very Very cool!!!! I dig the scape as well and the table art next to it.

That table art is part of the 'scape for my 70. :)

If you find that it's not cutting it, you can try the Eheim Skim 350.

It's not attached to your filter, but rather it's attached to a small powerhead. So it'll clean the surface of the water, and provide you with a little extra flow. Not a ton, maybe an extra 100 gph, but if you place it strategically, it could help. I have one running in my fuge now, and it's a champ...

DurocShark

Yeah, I considered that. I just don't want more gear in the little tank. I will try adding some foam to the strainer this weekend to increase its buoyancy.

DurocShark

Got the light.

bFAhufw.jpg

I didn't have to shave the frame to get the mounts on, but it was a close thing. I did have to remove the suction cups and massage the clips on VERY carefully. But it's solid now. Nice bright blue light. I can't wait to see what it looks like with corals.

In that pic, the ambient light is the same as the previous photos. :D

HarryPotter

Nice!

How are going to manage the water changes w. no skimmer?

The Top-Off?

I'm thinking you can keep like 5g of water under the desk and do a weekly 1g water change. Also you could store a similar amount of RO/DI water in a drawer or under the desk and use the Tunze Nano Osmulator!

Or keep it simple :-). On your work desk you can watch it and do maintenance really well

DurocShark

Heh, so here's the plan:

I picked up two 2.3 gallon jugs of saltwater from Petsmart the other day. They were on clearance for $5 each. I didn't care about the water so much (it'll be fine for cycling anyway), but I wanted the jugs. One will be the drain tank and one will be filled with mixed water from home. A 2 gallon per week change should be great.

Top off, I have a 1 gallon jug of RODI I'll keep under my desk. I'm here every day within several inches of the tank. I don't need an ATO. Old skool siphon with gravel vac will do nicely for the water changes. No need for anything fancy.

I considered Dr Tim's bacteria so I could drop critters in right away, but I think I'll just buy some ammonia crystals instead and do this the right way.

DurocShark

I got the surface skimmer working...

LTfJr2Y.jpg

1zNHSGw.jpg

I stuffed styrofoam from a coffee cup into the space where the air bubble is captured. I added too much, tearing off little bits until it was just slightly floating too high (and slurping like mad). Then I opened the lower vent a little at a time until the slurping stopped.

Now it's skimming the surface like it should, and the canister is at 100%.

WOOT!

HarryPotter

Hell yeah!

I don't know how you'll every be able to concentrate again! omgomgomg

"Hmm so next quarters profits will be bordering OMG LOOK A COPEPOD"

DurocShark

Well, I normally have the DropCam on my 9g running on one of my 3 monitors, so this will actually free up a monitor for more work! Really!!!

DurocShark

I'm fishless cycling right now using powdered ammonium chloride. It's taking more than I would have thought to get it to 5ppm. One full teaspoon only gets it to .5ppm. Weird.

I'm gonna check this Seneye against a proper test kit before I add any more.

Archived